Design Review: Volume 1, Issue 6 (April-May, 1949)
Houses in Happy Valley:
The illustration will call to our readers' minds the article in our last issue. Our criticism gains in interest by the following excerpt from the Evening Post:—
“… The houses are almost identical in design, and it has been reported that the City Council will grant no more loans for dwellings of the type, and that a mistake had been made in permitting them to be built …”
The photographs of the housing scheme at Ohiro Bay, appearing in the last issue of Design Review under the title “Houses for the Homeless,” were by Bond Morris.
New President and Council
The third Annual General Meeting of the Architectural Centre was held on March 29th. The retiring President, Mr. John Cox, after two years of untiring service has handed over to Mr. Graham Dawson. Mr. Dawson has been one of the most active members of the Centre since its inception and has been in the forefront of educational progress in the architectural profession.
Under the new constitution a Council becomes the main policy-making body, and the Executive Committee will attend to the general administration. The Council consists of the following:
Honorary Secretary: D. G. Porter.
Honorary Treasurer:M. B. Patience.
Editor:E. C. Simpson.
Director of the School: A. C. Kofoed.
Chairman Student Committee: A. J. McDonald.
Student Committee: A. J. McDonald, Marjorie Napier, J. Gates, Betty Travena, C. Aitken, T. McArthur, K. G. S. Turner.
A grant of £1000 has been made by the Government to the Architectural Centre for the current year. Advice to this effect has been received from the Minister of Education in response to a deputation earlier in the year. The grant will be used exclusively in connection with the School of Architecture to allow the payment of the staff who have till now given their services without remuneration.