Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

(Copy of a Letter—Thos. Kendall to Samuel Marsden.)

(Copy of a Letter—Thos. Kendall to Samuel Marsden.)

Rev. and Dear Sir,

I am greatly surprised that you should treat me as an inventor of tales respecting your daughter, when I only was desirous to inform you of tales which were in circulation among the natives, and which ought certainly to be put a stop to. It was but justice to you and your children that you should be so far apprized as to apply a proper remedy. Those reports are far from being new. Tuatera (Ruaterra) was the first man who spoke disrespectfully; all his friends, and even (Shungi) Hongi, were in the secret; Tooi and Tetadda were worse than all the rest. How could I discharge my duties to God, if I had not consulted with those who were best acquainted with you, on the most proper means to be adopted for telling you of these most vile assertions? I am satisfied I have had no ill wishes toward you in anything I may have said, and many others (if they would but be candid enough to acquaint) know just as much as me. We know nor assert anything improper of your children as facts, but were grieved to hear them evil spoken of.

I am,
Rev. and Dear Sir,
Your faithful servant,

(Signed)

THOS. KENDALL.