Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

James K. Baxter Complete Prose Volume 3

Viewpoint: James K. Baxter, Poet and Social Worker

Viewpoint: James K. Baxter, Poet and Social Worker

From long and intensive observation I have come to the conclusion that marihuana is less harmful in its physical and mental effects than alcohol. There are many people in our mental hospitals with wet brains as a result of alcoholism. There are not, to my knowledge many there on account of the use of marihuana.

Most legislators recognise this. But they argue that the use of marihuana may lead to the use of addictive and potentially lethal drugs. The argument is circular. If people get marihuana, like other drugs, from illegal sources, then they may use other drugs. But if they were able to buy marihuana from the local tobacconist, it might lead to cigarette addiction, but not, say, to an addiction to morphine.

page 63

The behaviour of the police in enforcing the law regarding the possession and use of marihuana is highly aggressive and unintelligent. Frequently a user of hard or soft drugs may shift on to marihuana for a cure. It will hurt less than whisky. But the police will arrest such a person without discrimination and harry and bully in an effort to acquire information about marihuana sources, treating marihuana (which is non-addictive) as if it were an addictive drug.

I think the use and possession of marihuana should be legalised immediately, to relieve us of domination by the subconscious prejudices of policeman, MPs and dictatorial doctors. It is absurd when a teenager can be arrested for smoking a joint, while his father drinks a pint of whisky daily and his mother is steadily going mad on legally prescribed amphetamines.

1969 (590)