Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]

Professional, Commercial, And Industrial

Professional, Commercial, And Industrial.

Norris and Ashcroft (John Hensleigh Norris and Albert Edward Ashcroft, Land Agents, Surveyors, and Wine. Spirit, and General Merchants, Milne and Bruce Streets, Hunterville Telegraphic address, “Norris, Hunterville.” P.O. Box 27. Banker Bank of Australasia, Marton. Private residences: Mr. Norris, Miln Street; Mr. Ashoroft, Bruce Street This large business was established by the firm in the year 1892. Mr. Norris, who is a native [unclear: of] Devonshire, was for some years employed on the New Zealand railways, and held the position of stationmaster at Hunterville. Mr. Ashcroft hails from New South Wales. He is a member of the Institute of Surveyors of New Zealand, and was for some years in the Government service. The firm have many agencies, among which may be noted the Loan and Mercantile Company. The specialties of their business are grass seeds, and wines and spirits. Mr. Norris is a Justice of the Peace, and holds the office of registrar of births, deaths, and marriages.

Cane, F. Herbert, Land, Estate and Commission Agent, etc., Hunterville

page 1287

Dudding, Charles, Baker, Confectioner, and Boardinghouse Proprietor, Victoria Buffet, Hunterville. The Victoria Buffet was established in 1887 by Mr. Dudding, who claims to be the oldest baker now in business in Hunterville. The baking department includes a comfortable shop and a large bakehouse, fitted with most modern appliances. A large turnover is made in this branch of the business. The “Buffet” is a large two-story wood and iron building of seventeen rooms, built under Mr. Dudding's direction. It contains good accommodation for boarders and visitors, besides the shop and bakery, and every effort is made to make the house comfortable and attractive. Mr. Dudding was born in Lincolnshire, England, and for seven years before coming to the Colony led a seafaring life. In 1858 he landed in Wellington from the good ship “Rose of Sharon.” For some years he was farming in Canterbury, with varying success. In 1886 Mr. Dudding returned to the North Island, and settled in Hunterville. Though very busy with the conduct of his business, Mr. Dudding finds time to serve his fellows as a member of the local school committee.

Ellis, W. F., Baker and Pastrycook, and Billiard-room Proprietor, Hunterville.

Ross, Alexander, Coachbuilder and General Black-smith, Hunterville Shoeing Forge, Hunterville. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This forge was established in 1885, the one story building of wood and iron being created by Mr. Duncan McKay, who conducted the business till 1893, when the present proprietor purchased it. There are two forges and drilling and other machinery necessary to the trade. Mr. Ross employs a number of skilled hands to assist in the various departments of his business. Although the work is chiefly in the general blacksmithing line, Mr. Ross is in a position to turn out vehicles of all descriptions that may be required. The trade extends throughout the entire district, many of the customers living at a distance of seventeen miles away from Hunterville. Mr. Ross hails from “bonnie Scotland,” having been born in Aberdeen, where he learned his business. He came to the Colony per s.s. “Ionic,” arriving in 1884, and readily found employment, which he had no difficulty in retaining till acquiring the Hunterville Shoeing Forge.

Cummins, Geo C., Coachbuilder, Hunterville.

Street, Henry, Blacksmith and Agricultural Implement Manufacturer, Hunterville.

Morris, G. W. D., Cabinetmaker, Upholsterer and Undertaker, Hunterville Furnishing Warehouse, Bruce Street, Hunterville. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Onga Road. Mr. Morris is a native of Wellington and learned his business with Mr. James Gilbert, of Auckland, who was the founder of the Sash and Door Company. Mr. Morris completed his term in 1861 and for many years thereafter had a large and general experience in connection with his business. For seventeen years he was in business in Christchurch as a builder, and for two years subsequently worked in connection with his trade in Wellington. Settling in Hunterville in 1887 he established the Hunterville Furnishing Warehouse, which is a building of wood andiron, two stories in height, erected on leasehold ground and built by himself from his own designs. His trade extends all over Paraekaretu district. Mr. Morris has no speciality in his business, but makes everything required in the furnishing line. He is an ex-member of the local school committee, and a member of the Oddfellows' court.

Wilson, A H., Builder, Cabinetmaker, Upholsterer, and Undertaker, Mine Street, Hunterville. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1886.

Argyle Hotel (Joseph Mitchell, proprietor) [unclear: corner] Bruce and Milne Streets, Hunterville. Telegraphic address, “Argyle, Hunterville.” P.O. Box, 19. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This large hotel was established in 1885 by Mr. Dalziell who sold it in 1893 to the present proprietor. The hotel is one of the largest on the coast. It contains forty rooms, of which thirty-two are bedrooms, containing about fifty beds. There are four large sitting-rooms on the ground floor, and one fine room upstairs. The dining-room has ample accommodation for a large number of boarders or visitors and is well appointed in every respect. A very large billiard-room on the ground floor contains a splendid table by Allcock. The frontage of the building is little less than 250 feet. The “Argyle” is the Commercial Travellers' Club of the district. The hall adjoining is used by the Masonic body and also for the purposes of the Stipendiary Magistrate's Court. The officials and professional men engaged at the court make the “Argyle” their home. Mr. Mitchell is a native of London, and left in the year 1856 for New Zealand per ship “Emma Colvin,” landing in Nelson in the same year. On arrival he turned his attention to farming pursuits in which for some years he had had a considerable experience, but being attacked by the gold fever he visited the diggings of Victoria. He is an all-round man with large experience. He is an honorary member of the Oddfellows' Court, and takes general interest in sport of all kinds. The engraving below is a good picture of the Argyle Hotel.

Argyle Hotel.

Argyle Hotel.

page 1288

Hunterville Hotel (David Sullivan, proprietor), Hunterville. P.O. Box 5. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This fine house, which contains thirty-two rooms, was established by Messrs. Hammond Brothers in 1887. It is an imposing building of two stories, and is built of wood and iron. On the ground floor there are very comfortable parlours and sitting-rooms, and a large well furnished dining-room. The hotel is under the personal management of Mr. Sullivan, who is assisted by a large staff of servants. The table is well supplied with all the luxuries in season, and every thing possible is done to make visitors happy and comfortable. Mr. Sullivan was born in Dunedin, his parents being among the enterprising colonists who arrived in the early days. He has had considerable experience in several of the colonies, as well as in different parts of New Zealand. For about eighteen months he was the landlord of the Criterion Hotel at Invercargill. In 1884 Mr. Sullivan went to New South Wales, where he remained five years. After returning to the Colony he visited Victoria, but soon came back to his native land, becoming the proprietor of the Hunterville Hotel in 1894. Mr. Sullivan has long been associated with sporting matters, being presently a member of the Hunterville Caledonian Society.

Coltman, R. H., Tinsmith and Plumber, Hunterville Tinsmithing and Plumbing Establishment, Main Street, Hunterville. Telegraphic address, “Coltman, Hunterville.” Private residence, Main Street. Mr. Coltman is a native of Aldershot, and left in 1880 per ship “Waimate.” arriving in Lyttelton in 1881. He learned his business with Mr. Ogilvie of Oamaru, completing his term in the year 1888, and subsequently working as a journeyman until 1891. In the latter year he decided to settle in Hunterville, and established the above business. The building occupied by him is erected on freehold land, and was built under his direction from plans designed by himself. It is constructed of wood and iron, and is one story in height, and contains a floor space of about 500 square feet. Mr. Coltman has all the usual plant necessary to enable him to carry on a large and progressive business. His trade extends throughout the entire district. He undertakes every branch of the business, including dairy utensils and household requisites of every description, and makes a large number of tanks, which are in great requisition in this locality. Mr. Coltman is a member of the Anglican Church vestry, was “lodge deputy” of the Good Templar Order for some two or three years, is “tyler” to the Masonic Lodge, and a member of the Hunterville School Committee.

Bowick, William Henry, Boot and Shoe Manufacturer, Universal Boot Depot, Bruce Street, Hunterville. Mr. Bowck's parents came to New Zealand among the Canterbury pilgrims, and may fairly be ranked as pioneer settlers on the grand plains of the South Island. Mr. Bowick was born in Canterbury, where he learned his business. Before coming to the North Island he gained large experience in the employ of several well-known firms. Coming to Wellington in 1888, by way of variety Mr. Bowick had a turn at bush-felling, and thus drifted into the vicinity of Hunterville. It was not long, however, before he decided to return to his own proper business. In 1892 he established himself as above, beginning in a small shop at the opposite side of the town. The trade rapidly increased, and consequently, larger premises were an absolute necessity, hence the Universal Boot Depot was opened. Here a capital stock of British, Continental and Colonial boots and shoes are temptingly displayed. Mr. Bowick, however, makes a specialty of bespoke work, and retains a staff of competent hands

Ellis Bros. and Valder (F. J. and W. A. Ellis and H. Valder), Storekeepers and General Merchants, Hunterville. The firm have been established for some years at Hunterville, and the local business is under the management of Mr. Valder. The firm have branches at several of the settlements further inland.

Ellis Bros. and Valder's Store, Hunterville.

Ellis Bros. and Valder's Store, Hunterville.

Smith, R. J. General Storekeeper, Hunterville. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1888.

Vickery, Mrs., Grocer and Fruiterer, Hunterville.

Argyle Livery and Bait Stables W. C. Dudding, proprietor), Milne Street, Hunterville. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. These stables were established in 1887 by Mr. Dalziell, Mr. Dudding succeeding in 1892. He is a New Zealander by birth, and was brought up as a farmer by an uncle. Having been constantly among horses from his youngest days, he has had large experience, especially as a horse-breaker, in which he has been very successful. He does considerable business in buying and selling horses. The Argyle Stables contain twenty-two stalls and four loose boxes. About twenty horses are used in the business. A large coach, several buggies, and other vehicles are always available for hire when required. Mr. Dudding was for six years in business as a butcher in Hunterville before entering into this business. He is a member of the local Foresters' Court.

McDonald, John, Livery and Bait Stable Proprietor, Hunterville.

Remington, A. E., J.P., Chemist and Druggist, Bruee Street, Hunterville. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1890, and conducted by preset t proprietor since 1894.

McEldowney, J., Draper (H. Sutcliffe, manager), Hunterville.

Brooker, Allan S., Tailor, Hunterville.

Ryan, Patrick, Tailor, Hunterville.

Bray, J., Hairdresser, Hunterville.

Pawson, Jas. Arthur, Hairdresser and Tobacconist, Hunterville.

Morine, T. A., Boardinghouse-keeper, The Railway Boardinghouse, Hunterville, Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Conducted by present proprietor since 1992.

Whitelaw, Herbert Jas., Saddler, Hunterville.

Young, W. L., Saddler, Hunterville.

Morris and Hunter (George Morris and John Hunter), Butchers, Ham and Baconcurers, Milne Street, Hunterville. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1885, and conducted by present proprietor since 1894.

Robb, David, Butcher, Brace Street, Hunterville. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established 1885.

Berry, F. C., Watchmaker and Jeweller, Hunterville. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand.

page 1289

Chubbin, John, Farmer, Reaby, Hunterville. Mr. Chubbin, who claims the Isle of Man as his birthplace, arrived at Lyttelton in 1853, and went to Southland, where he was engaged some years as a runholder. Selling out, he re-visited the Old Country, but soon left its shores for South America, where he travelled a good deal. After a brief stay in England he went to Victoria, and soon afterwards to New Zealand. Mr. Chubbin took up a run near Hawera, but on the outbreak of war was compelled John Chubbin to abandon it. When peace was proclaimed he found his stock all gone, but set to work to right matters. He remained on this run for eight years, and then sold out to go to California. He was soon satisfied that there was no place like New Zealand, and returned to it for good, finally settling down on his present property. He was the only settler in the district for years, and had to cut his own track to his farm. Mr. Chubbin is married, and has two sons and nine daughters.

Hale, Maurice, Farmer, Halewood, Hunterville. Born in 1843 in Essex. England, Mr. Hale came to Wellington with his parents when a child, and received his education in that city. For some years he worked in the Hutt District, when he took up 160 acres of land at Carnarvon. This he improved and sold to advantage, and then settled on 300 acres below Hunterville, which he improved and subsequently sold. In 1886 Mr. Hale took up his present holding of 836 acres. There were no roads to the property, and his first three tons of grass-seed were carried to the farm on horseback. He has now 600 acres in grass, the estate being fenced and subdivided, with a comfortable homestead. Mr. Hale was the prime mover in getting his fellow-settlers to take advantage of the Act to borrow £500 to road their land. In the early days he took an active part in volunteering, and served in the Hutt corps for many years. In 1881 he married Miss Aiken, of Norwood (since deceased), and has three daughters.

Mr. M. Hale.

Mr. M. Hale.

Humphry, G. H., Farmer, Wentworth, Hunterville. Born in Manchester in 1866, and educated at Oswestry Grammar School, Mr. Humphry came to Wellington in 1881, and became a cadet on Mr. N. Fitzherbert's estate in the Turakina G. H. Humphry page 1290 Valley, where he remained for three years. He visited England in 1887. returning the following year, and subsequently purchased 625 acres, which he has improved, fenced and grassed, and on which he erected a substantial dwelling. In 1890 Mr. Humphry married Miss Cameron, of Wairarapa, and his two daughters.

McGregor, Malcolm, Settler, Badenock, Hunterville. Born in 1853 at Matarawa, near Wanganui, and brought up to farming pursuits, in 1876, in company with his three brothers, Mr. McGregor took up 1500 acres of virgin land in the Hunterville District. Being the first settlers, they had to cut tracks to their property and keep them open for many years. Other settlers followed, who were received by the McGregor Brothers with open arms, and their hospitality became proverbial. In 1886 the brothers dissolved partnership, Mr. Malcolm McGregor buying his brother Ewen's share. He has since made other purchases, his holding now amounting to 2500 acres, Mr. McGregor is ever ready to give his services for the advancement of the district. He holds church services at the Ben Nevis schoolhouse every second Sunday, and occasionally at Fordell and other places. In 1887 Mr. McGregor was married to Miss Hockley, and they have one son and three daughters.

McLeay, John, Farmer, Puriri, Hunterville. A native of Applecross, Rosshire, Scotland, Mr. McLeay was brought up to farming pursuits on his father's farm, and is but a recent arrival in the Colony, having landed in Wellington in 1895. His farm consists of some 600 acres, carrying 1500 well-bred Lincoln sheep and a number of cattle. The carrying capacity of “Puriri” can be greatly increased with very little outlay. There is a good road to the property.

McLean, Findlay John, Farmer, Rataiti, Hunterville. Born in 1872 at Wanganui, where he was educated, Mr. McLean was engaged on his father's farm till he took up a block of 1000 acres, covered with dense bush, in the Turakina Valley, known as “Ruakaka.” About half of this block is now cleared, grassed, fenced, and subdivided, with a carrying capacity of two-and-a-half sheep to the acre. Mr. McLean has since bought other properties, his present holding consisting of 3000 acres freehold and 1000 acres leasehold, carrying a large flock of well-bred Lincoln sheep and a herd of shorthorn cattle. The homestead at “Rataiti” is situated at the junction of the Ongo and Mangahoe roads.

Morrison, Andrew, Farmer, Rata Flat, Hunterville. Born in 1850, near Stirling, Perthshire, Mr. Morrison came out to the Colony with his parents in 1858, his father being under a three years' engagement to Mr. Blyth, of Wanganui. At the conclusion of this term, Mr. Morrison, senr., started farming on his own account, taking up land in 1864 on the Fern Flats, which were then in their natural state. Here the subject of this sketch spent his early years until 1836, when he took up his present holding of 1225 acres, then covered with dense bush. The property is now highly improved, and departures a choice flock of Lincoln sheep and a herd of cattle. Mr. Morrison served in the volunteers for twenty-three years, and takes an active part in Masonry, being a P.M. of Ruapehu Lodge. A few years ago he visited the land of his birth, and enjoyed a very pleasant time. Mr. Morrison is unmarried.

Nolan, Charles, Farmer, Mistletoe Farm, Hunterville. A native of County Roscommon, Ireland, Mr. Nolan passed his early days on his father's farm, until 1870, when he left for America. His health failing, he returned in 1874 to Ireland, but six months later left page 1291 for New Zealand, arriving the following year. He spent some time in bush-felling and contracting, and then took up 304 acres in the Mangahoe District, which he improved and sold, subsequently settling on his present holding of 1305 acres. Mr. Nolan had to cut a track through the bush to get access to his property. He afterwards joined with four neighbours, and borrowed £880 to make a road to their properties. Being the furthest-out settler, it cost him another £150 to continue the road to his homestead. He has now 720 acres in grass, carrying 1800 sheep, with cattle and horses. Mr. Nolan is unmarried.

Richardson, William, Farmer, Otaimata, Hunterville. Born in Dunedin, Mr. Richardson was educated at Wanganui. He joined the Survey Department while in his teens, serving for ten years. Mr. Richardson acquired his holding of 330 acres in 1891, then all covered with dense bush. Most of this has disappeared before the axe and the fire, and is replaced by a thick sward of nutritious grasses, which is grazed over by a well-bred flock of sheep, and a fine herd of shorthorn cattle. As the pioneer settler of the Maungakaretu Block, Mr. Richardson had many of the hardships incidental to early days of settlement to contend with. He had to cut his own track, and carry his stores on his shoulder for over twelve months, there being no grass to keep a horse. Mr. Richardson has always taken a lively interest in everything that tends to advance his district. In 1894 he was married to Miss Carroll, of Wanganui, and has two sons, the elder of whom was the first child born in the Manugakaretu Block.

Mr. W. Richardson.

Mr. W. Richardson.

Thompson, W. G., J.P., Settler, Hunterville. Born in 1856, at Newbridge, County Kildare, Ireland, Mr. Thompson was educated at Briwood School and at Rugby, and spent his early days at sea. He arrived in Australia in 1876, and was engaged until 1881 in gold-mining, share-broking, etc., when he returned to England, remaining for two years. Landing in Wellington, Mr. Thompson settled in Rangitkei in 1883, and worked on the Silverhope Estate until 1888, when he bought a farm. Mr. Thompson has taken an active part in local politics, having been a member of the Rangitikei Licensing Bench and the Hunterville Domain Board. He held the position of W. M. of the Rangatira Masonic Lodge for three years. He was the second Justice of the Peace in his district. In 1895 Mr. Thompson married a daughter of Mr. A. Ingram, of Marton.