The City Council
consists of eighteen members, in addition to the Mayor—three for each of the six wards, into which the city is divided, and six of the eighteen are elected annually by the burgesses in the month of September. The Council itself occupies a handsome suite of offices in the large pile of buildings, erected under the Costley bequest for a Free Library and Art Gallery. This occupation is generally regarded as temporary and it is publicly recognised that the importance of the city renders it incumbent upon its municipal authorities to grace Auckland with a suitable town hall, which should be at once dignified and ornamental. A site at the junction of Grey and Upper Queen Streets has been set aside for that purpose.
His Worship The Mayor, Mr. David Goldie,
is one of Auckland's best known and most widely respected citizens. His occupancy of the chief civic chair is not due to any personal desire on his part, but to regard for the well-evidenced wish of the ratepayers to place a strong and reliable financier at the head of the Council's affairs. The Council's finances had been going from bad to worse, and called for a mayor willing for the sake of the city's credit, to take a firm stand and risk the chances of opprobrium by cutting down unnecessary expenditure and looking well after the City's income. In undertaking and carrying out this disagreeable work Mr. Goldie has earned the thanks of the community. He is now (October, 1990) closing his second consecutive year of office, and has definitely announced his decision not to seek re-election.
Councillor James Muir Paterson, who represents Grafton Ward in the Auckland City Council, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1833. Receiving his education in his native county, he served an apprenticeship to the building trade in Greenock, and left Scotland for New Zealand in November, 1859, in the good ship “Lord Burleigh,” arriving at Auckland on the 26th of February, 1860. After working at his trade for some years, he bought a piece of ground in Grafton Road, and built a cottage upon it. This was the starting point of his career as a builder in Auckland. From that to the present time he has executed a large number of contracts, and has earned for himself a comfortable completency. Mr. Paterson no longer engages in active work, but is now able to enjoy the fruits of his past labours, and may be found on sunny afternoons enjoying a game of bowls. In the early days he served as a Volunteer and Militia man, being engaged in the Maori War of 1863. Councillor Paterson has been a member of the City Council for eleven years. His private residence is situated in Park Avenue, where he owns some very picturesque villas. Mr. Paterson was married in New Zealand, and has three sons and three daughters.
Councillor Robert Farrell
has represented the South Ward in the Auckland City Council since 1889. He was born in Lisnaskea, County Fermanagh, Ireland, in 1841, and brought up to the calling of a builder. In 1863, Mr. Farrell arrived in Auckland by the ship “Queen of Beauty,” and has since carried on business in Auckland and at the Thames, to which he went as a pioneer in February, 1868. While there he was a member of the Kauaeranga school committee and of the Thames Borough Council and Hospital Board. He returned to Auckland in 1884, and was elected to the Auckland city schools committee, of which he was a member till he became a member of the Auckland Board of Education in 1897. He was captain of the Thames Rifle Rangers for many years. Mr. Farrell has been Grand Master of the Grand Orange Lodge of New Zealand, and is a Freemason.
Councillor John William Rewson
represents the Grafton Ward in the Auckland City Council. He was born in 1847, and came with his parents to the Colony in 1860. As a city councillor he has given satisfaction to his constituents, who have kept him in the council since 1889.
Councillor Alfred Kidd
is one of the oldest sitting members of the Auckland City Council, having been elected in 1885. He resigned in 1888, but, after a brief period, was re-elected, and has held a seat ever since. He is and has been for several years past chairman of the Streets Committee, and is also a member of the Library Committee. He was previously chairman of the Finance Committee. Councillor Kidd is a member of the Costley Trust Board, and in all local matters takes great interest, having held a seat on most local boards. The subject of this notice was born at Hounslow, Middlesex, England, and arrived in New Zealand in 1865, when
fourteen years of age, finding employment in the country districts for a time. On the opening of the Thames Goldfields, he gravitated thitherwards, and “has seen it develop
from a canvas town—there being only one wooden house then (Sheehan's)—to its present proportions.” After working as a miner with varied success for seven years, he left to take the position of providore for the steamers of the Waikato Steam Navigation Company. The opening of the railways taking the passenger traffic from the river, Mr. Kidd came to Auckland and entered into the hotelkeeping business. He has been twenty years in the Commercial Hotel (the oldest licensed house, it is claimed, in New Zealand—dating from 1841). He has taken an active interest in matters connected with the “trade,” and held the position of president of the Licensed Victuallers Association for many years. As a Druid, Mr. Kidd was district president for thirteen years, and one of the founders of the Friendly Societies Conference. He was initiated into Freemasonry by the late Mr. Alex. Brodie, in the Sir Walter Scott Lodge, Thames, twenty-six years ago. On leaving the Thames, he joined the old “Ara,” Auckland, and passed through all the chairs of that lodge; he was later on elected master of Lodge Waiuku. Mr. Kidd has also passed the chair in the Royal Arch Chapter and 18 degree. For two years he was president of the Board of General Purposes for the Grand Lodge of New Zealand, and was then elected grand senior warden. In sporting matters. Mr. Kidd has held his own, and has been the possessor of several good horses, notably “St. Hippo,” whom he sold to the Messrs. Nathan. He is a steward of the Auckland Racing Club. In mining matters he is also largely concerned, and is a director of a great many companies, while he takes a keen interest in farming, which he carries on in what is known as the Aka Swamp. He has about 1500 acres of land, said to be second to none in the North Island. He is chairman of the Aka Aka Drainage Board. Mr. Kidd is married to a lady deservedly popular in their business. They have three sons and one daughter.
Councillor Frederick Ehrenfried Baume,
who is one of the representatives of East Ward in the Auckland City Council, was born at Dunedin. He is a son of the late Mr. Joseph Baume, of that city, and nephew of the late Mr. Louis Ehrenfried, of Auckland. Mr. Baume received his early education at the Thames and Dunedin High Schools, and subsequently attended the Otago and Auckland University Colleges. While at the Otago University, he took the Mental Science prize in 1885, and, two years later, carried off the prize for Political Economy.
Mr. Baume was admitted to practice as a barrister and solicitor in Dunedin in 1884, and took the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1890, in Auckland, where he has practised his profession since 1887. He entered into partnership in 1896 with Mr. A. E. Whitaker, son of the late Sir Frederick Whitaker, under the style of Whitaker and Baume. For some years Mr. Baume was president of the Auckland Students' Association and of the Graduates' Association. He is closely associated with the Auckland University, being popular with the graduates and taking much interest in promoting the welfare of the college. Keenly interested in all kinds of athletics, he is vice-president of a number of clubs. As a member of the Auckland University Amateur Dramatic Society, Mr. Baume gained renown as an actor. As a lecturer he excels, his “Evening with Rudyard Kipling” being considered one of the finest lectures delivered in Auckland. He has also written a good many verses of no ordinary merit. In 1893 Mr. Baume was elected unopposed to a seat in the City Council, and has been re-elected without opposition at subsequent elections. Mr. Baume has been president of the Auckland Natives' Association, and was chosen by delegates sent to Wellington as the first president of the New Zealand Natives' Association, which embraces the whole Colony. He has also been president of the Auckland Law Institute, is a member of the council of Auckland Law Society, and was the first captain of No. 3 New Zealand Native Volunteers, of which he is now honorary captain. He is also one of the law examiners of the New Zealand University.
Councillor James Stichbury,
J. P., who represents Ponsonby Ward in the Auckland City Council, was born in London in 1843, and was brought up as a licensed victualler. He came to Auckland in 1861, and entered the service of the firm of Nathan, Stichbury and Jervis, storekeepers and importers (now L. D. Nathan and Co.). In 1862 he joined his cousin in the auctioneering business, but after five years removed to the Thames, where he worked as a miner and amalgamator. Subsequently Mr. Stichbury returned to Auckland, and was with Messrs. Cochrane and Sons, the well-known auctioneers, for twelve years. Since 1882 he has been in business as an hotel broker, estate agent, and valuator. In local politics, Mr. Stichbury has represented the Ponsonby Ward in the City Council since 1894, and been chairman of the Auckland Hospital Board, of the Charitable Aid Board, and of the trustees of the Costley Home; he is also a member of the Auckland Harbour Board. In the Ancient Order of Foresters, Mr. Stichbury is past district chief ranger, district treasurer, and a member of the district executive. He has
always taken a great interest in outdoor sports, and one of his sons—Mr. Charles Stichbury—was for many years a member of the Auckland representative Rugby Union
teams. Councillor Stichbury served through the Waikato War during 1863–4 as a first-class militia man. He is married and has three children.
Councillor Charles Grey
succeeded his father, the late Mr. John Grey, as one of the representatives of the East ward on the City Council of Auckland in September,
1896, and was returned unopposed in the following year. He was born at Ballarat, Victoria, in 1859, and educated at Mr. Hallaway's school, Thames, and at the Auckland College under Mr. McVay Baird. Mr. Grey was brought up to business by his father, and was a member of the firm of John Grey and Sons from 1890 to 1896. Since the death of his father he has been sole proprietor of the business, which is referred to in another article. Mr. Grey has twice visited England and Ireland in the interests of the business. He has held office as president of the Auckland Poultry Association since 1895, and has been president of the Old Chums' and School-fellows' Association since its inception in October, 1894. As a Freemason he was initiated in Lodge Waitemata, 689, E.C., in 1880, and has been a W.M. on three occasions. He is a Past District Grand Senior Warden, and has also taken the Mark, Royal Arch, and 18th degrees. Mr. Grey was married, in 1897, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Edwards, of the Thames, and has one son and one daughter.
Councillor James Jamieson,
who sits as a representative of Karangahake Ward in the Auckland City Council, was born in Parnell in 1851. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Jamieson, arrived at Auckland in the year 1842 in the ship “Jane Gifford.” Mr Jamieson was educated under the Rev. A. French, and was in the office of the “New Zealand Herald” for two years, but left at the end of that time to learn the trade of a carpenter and builder with his father, who was then executing Government contracts. Attracted to the Thames Goldfields in 1869, he searched for the precious metal without success for eighteen months. He then returned to Auckland and resumed his trade with his father, working as a journeyman till 1890, when he bought a tobacconist's business in Karangahape Road. Mr. Jamieson has always taken a very active interest in Friendly Societies, and has been a member of the Foresters' Order since 1871. On five separate occasions he has held the office of chief ranger, and, on completion of his last term, was the recipient of a very handsome gold medal, presented by the court in recognition of his valuable services. The brethren also presented him with a beautifully framed painting of himself, to commemorate the circumstance of his being the only member of the craft in the Colony to attain the distinction of being so often chief ranger. He is a member of the Grand Loyal Orange Lodge of New Zealand, and of Lodge Eden, of the Masonic order. Mr. Jamieson has been identified with public affairs for many years,
and in 1896, having been requisitioned to stand for the City Council, was elected to the position which he now holds.
Councillor Robert Salmon,
who represents Karangahape Ward in the Auckland City Council, was born in Middlesex, England. He was apprenticed to the butchering trade, but afterwards followed a seafaring life for some years. Mr. Salmon came to New Zealand about 1868, and was engaged on vessels trading between New Zealand, Sydney, and Newcastle, and afterwards in the Waikato river trade. He finally gave up the sea and settled in Auckland, and began butchering in Ponsonby, but as his business developed, he opened premises in Lower Queen Street, and now owns three of the finest butcher shops in the city, and employs about twenty-five hands. Mr. Salmon has also developed the tinned meat industry, and there is such a demand for his tinned meats in New Zealand and the Islands and in South Africa, that he has had to enlarge his premises in Wakefield Street, where this branch of his business is carried on under the supervision of his son. His tinned meats figure considerably in the Colony's lists of exports. At the request of the trade, Mr. Salmon went to Wellington and interviewed the Government
on behalf of the Auckland butchers in connection with the Slaughterhouse and Inspection of Meat Bill, and got the Bill satisfactorily passed with the help of the Auckland members. In 1898 Mr. Salmon was returned by a large majority to represent the Karangahape Ward, and since his return he has done good work for the city. He is a member of the Hospital and Charitable Aid Boards; president of the Butchers' Association; and represented the city with the Mayor, Mr. D. Goldie, at the Municipal Conference in July, 1900.
Councillor Andrew Jack Entrican,
who represents the South Ward in the Auckland City Council, is the senior partner in the well-known firm of Messrs. A. J. Entrican and Co., merchants, Customs Street. He was born in the north of Ireland in 1858,—the son of Mr. Robert Entrican, farmer, of Craigmonaghan House, Castle Derg, County Tyrone. Educated at the Edwards School, Mr. Entrican entered commercial life in 1874 with Mr. Andrew Rosborough, general merchant, of Londonderry. In January, 1880, he arrived in the Colony in the ship “Ben Nevis,” landing at Auckland. Seven years later, having in the meantime had experience in the retail grocery business and as a commercial traveller, he began his present venture, and made rapid strides towards prosperity. In 1892 Mr. Entrican took a trip Home, and on his return took into partnership his brother, Mr. J. C. Entrican. The
subject of this notice has carefully avoided politics, though he has ever been ready to further objects of usefulness. He has been and still is a hard worker in connection with St. James' Presbyterian Church, in which he occupies the offices of elder, treasurer, and superintendent of the Sunday school. He was a member of the Union Parliament, and vice-president of St. James' Literary Society. During his days of apprenticeship Mr. Entrican was a most diligent student of art classes, conducted under the South Kensington Science and Art Department, and carried off no fewer than fourteen certificates, the principal subjects being:—Acoustics, light and heat, magnetism, electricity, mathematics, agricultural chemistry, and physical geography. He occasionally contributes to the local press, and takes much
interest in the affairs of the city. Mr. Entrican was married, in 1883, to Miss Mackay, eldest daughter of Captain Richard Mackay, ship owner and builder.
Councillor Thomas Taylor Masefield,
who represents the North Ward in the Auckland City Council, was born at Ellerton Hall, Newport, Shropshire, England, in 1842, and served an apprenticeship with Messrs E. T. Wright and Son, as an engineer, at the Goscote ironworks, near Walsall, Staffordshire. In 1862 he came to New Zealand, in the ship “Avalanche,” and landed at Auckland. He has ever since been identified with the growth of the city, and has taken a very active part in public affairs. Shortly after his arrival Mr. Masefield joined Mr. Vickery in establishing his present business. This partnership was dissolved about 1870, and the business has since then been carried on solely by Mr. Masefield under the style of Masefield and Co., ironworkers, ironfounders, and engineers. Two of his sons are associated with him in his business. For many years Mr. Masefield was a member of the Auckland Harbour Board, on which he represented the Ponsonby district; he is a Freemason and a member of the United Service Lodge, I.C. Mr. Masefiled married Miss Evans, a daughter of one of Auckland's earliest colonists, and
they have a family of two sons and one daughter. His private residence is at Home Bay, Ponsonby. Mr. Masefield's business is noticed in another article.
Councillor John Henry Hannan,
J.P., who represents the North Ward in the
Auckland City Council, was born in the Vale of Avoca, County Wicklow, Ireland, in March, 1858; and is the youngest son of the late Mr. Matthew Hannan, a farmer and freehold land-owner in County Carlow. Mr. Hannan received his education at the Coolgraney national school and from private tutors. He served his apprenticeship to the drapery trade with Messrs Fitzhenry and Co., Arklow, for five years, when he entered the service of A. Davis and Co., Drogheda. He was also employed by Messrs A. McHinch and Co., Alma House, Dundalk, and Messrs O'Brien and Co., Waterford. Mr. Hannan left for New Zealand, in 1879, by the ship “Earl Granville.” On arriving in Auckland he entered the service of the well-known firm of Messrs Sumerfield and Leck, wholesale and retail drapers, and severed his connection with it to start for himself in Victoria Street, where he still carries on a most successful business. In 1880 he was elected a member of the Auckland City schools committee, and was re-elected in 1881 at the head of the poll. At the end of the year he resigned on account of meeting with a serious accident on board the Devonport Steam Ferry Company's boat “Alexandra,” which incapacitated him for some years. In 1892 he was appointed a Justice of the Peace, and Visiting Justice to Her Majesty's prison at Auckland, by the Hon. John Ballance's Ministry, his being the first appointment by the whole Cabinet in New Zealand. He was elected to the Auckland City Council in September, 1899, after a fierce contest, in which he defeated his opponent, Mr. Smeaton, by a large majority. Mr. Smeaton was strongly supported by the mayor, the Ratepayers' Association, and members of the Stock Exchange. Mr. Hannan is a vice-president of the Band of Hope Union and a member of the Devonport Presbyterian Church. In October, 1885, he married Miss Potter, in the Alexandra Street Church, the Rev. W. S. Potter, brother of the bride, performing the ceremony.
Councillor Christopher James Parr,
who represents the Ponsonby Ward in the Auckland City Council, was born at Cambridge, Waikato, in 1869, his father being the well known farmer, Mr. Reuben Parr. Mr. Parr was educated at the
Thames where he won a district scholarship of £45, which entitled him to three years' tuition at the Auckland College and Grammar School, and where he gained eleven prizes and was Dux of the school. He afterwards passed the Civil Service examinations, and secured the second place in the Senior Civil Service Class for the whole of the Colony. After securing these honours he served three years articles in a lawyer's office, and passed his Barrister's final law examination at the age of twenty. In 1890 he was admitted to the Bar by Mr. Justice Conolly and commenced practice in 1892. Mr. Parr is considered one of the most talented and rising young barristers in the city, where he has acquired an extensive and lucrative practice. Mr. Parr was initiated into Freemasonry in Lodge St. Andrew, 418, Scotch Constitution, and after filling various offices was elected Worshipful Master in 1896. He also was exalted into the Royal Arch chapter 1338 English Constitution in the same year.
Councillor Robert Tudehope
is a Representative of the South Ward in the City Council, and one of the four members sent by the Council to the Hospital and Charitable Aid Board. He was elected to the council in September, 1899. Mr. Tudehope was born in Auckland in 1853, and served his apprenticeship with the late Mr. T. D. Worfolk. Since 1875 he has carried on business on his own account as a plumber and gasfitter. He takes an interest in literary and debating societies, and was a member of the
Auckland Union Parliament. In 1881 Mr Tudehope was married to a daughter of Mr. Robert Bartley, of Auckland, and has four sons.
Councillor Graves Aickin,
who represents Grafton Ward in the Auckland City Council, is the well-known chemist of Queen Street. He was born in County Antrim, Ireland, and educated at the Rev. J. K. Anderson's seminary, Belfast, and he studied his profession under his uncle, Dr. Aickin, of that city. In 1862 Mr. Aickin went to San Francisco,
and came to Auckland in September, 1863. After his arrival in New Zealand Mr. Aickin started farming, and was for about eighteen months engaged in that business with his cousin, Dr. Thomas Aickin, of Avondale. Not being satisfied with his prospect as a farmer, he removed to the city and opened a chemist's shop in Karangahape Road in 1865. There he remained until 1870, when he went to the Thames goldfields, and established a business, but soon returned to Karangahape Road. About 1875 he removed to the city, in consequence of the expansion of his business, and took premises in the same block in which his present fine establishment is situated in Queen Street. Since then his business has been one of great dimensions. Mr. Aickin first entered public life as representative of East Ward, and filled the position for seven years with credit to himself and benefit to the city. During the same period he was chairman of the Auckland Harbour Board. It was during his chairmanship that the board let the contract for the construction of the Calliope Dock, and during his councillorship the Albert Park, one of the most beautiful parks in the Colony, was laid out, and he also took an active part in the organisation of the Free Library. In the present year (1900) Mr. Aickin again entered public life, and was returned unopposed to represent the Grafton Ward. During his long residence in Auckland Mr. Aickin has held other honourable public positions. He has been chairman of the Chamber of Commerce, chairman of the Chamber of Mines, president of the Ratepayers' Association, and member of the Auckland Museum Institute. Mr. Aickin has always been identified with gold mining, and has done a great deal to develop the industry in the Hauraki Peninsula. He married a daughter of the late Dr. Philson.
Councillor Arthur Charles Atkin
represents North Ward in the City Council. He is the eldest son of the late Mr. Charles Atkin, who was a prominent member of the City Council, and senior partner of Atkin Bros., proprietors of the Cousins and Atkin Carriage Factory, Elliott Street. Mr. Atkin was born at Louth, Lincolnshire, England, and at the early age of two years came to Auckland with his parents, in 1862. He was educated first at private schools, and finished at the Auckland College and Grammer School. On leaving College he joined his father's firm and acquired a thorough knowledge of coachbuilding. Mr. Atkin soon began to take a keen interest in local affairs, and has been for fifteen years a member of the Eden Terrace Road Board, and chairman for part of that time. In the year 1900 he received a largely-signed requisition to stand for the representation of the North Ward in the City Council, and was returned unopposed. He helped to resuscitate the Auckland Agricultural Association, which had fallen from its original importance, and is member of the general committee of that now flourishing institution; he is also a member of the Industrial Association committee. Mr. Atkin was an energetic member of the executive of the Ratepayers' Association, from which, in keeping with the rules of the Association, he resigned on being returned as representative of North Ward. Although as yet a young man, Mr. Atkin has devoted a great deal of time
to carrying out his various public duties. In this respect he has followed in the footsteps of his father, to whom Auckland owes much, as he was untiring in his efforts on behalf of all undertakings likely to advance the welfare of the city. Mr. Atkin is a Freemason. He
married Miss M. E. Fisher, daughter of Mr. George Fisher, late of the Thames.
Councillor John Court,
who represents Ponsonby Ward in the Auckland City Council, is a member of the well-known firm of Messrs Court Bros., drapers and clothiers, of Queen Street and Karangahape Road. He is a native of Birmingham, England, and began his commercial career in 1860, at Wallsall, Staffordshire, but afterwards removed to Birmingham. In 1889 he came to Auckland and entered into partnership with his brothers, Messrs G. and A. Court, who had preceded him and had already established their well-known business. Shortly after his arrival Mr. Court became a member of the Grafton school committee, and later on the Ponsonby school committee. In the present year (1900) he was requisitioned to stand as representative for Ponsonby in the City Council, and was returned unopposed. Mr. Court is president of the Ponsonby Bowling Club, and is also vice-president of the West End Rowing,
Tennis, and Lacrosse Clubs. Mr. Court is married, and has eight sons and daughters, who were born previous to his arrival in New Zealand.
Councillor John Patterson,
J.P., who represents the Karangahape Ward in the City Council, is a son of the late Mr. J. Patterson, who came to Auckland in 1840 by the ship “Duchess of Argyle.” He was brought up to the business of coachbuilding, in which he afterwards started on his own account. Mr. Patterson now has a fine establishment in Upper Queen Street, and he employs a large number of men. Mr. Patterson has been chairman of the Ponsonby school committee and district president of the Hibernian Society in New Zealand, and was for many years a member of the Auckland Licensing Committee. He was elected president of the Coachbuilders' and Farriers' Association. Mr. Patterson was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1894. He has been a member of the United Friendly Societies' Conference, and also of the New Zealand Natives' Association, and in politics is a staunch supporter of Liberalism. He was elected for Karangahape Ward in September, 1900, as a man likely to look well after the interest of the ratepayers. Mr. Patterson was for eight years associated with the volunteer movement, and held the rank of lieutenant,
but resigned the position on account of the numerous calls made on his time in connection with other public matters. He is married, and has a family of eleven children.
Mr. Henry William Wilson,
the Town Clerk of Auckland, was born in Dunedin on the 28th of August, 1863. His father is Mr. F. J. Wilson, solicitor to the Public Trustee, Wellington, who settled in Dunedin in 1863, and was connected with the legal firm of Smith and Dempsey, now Smith, Chapman and Sinclair, city, solicitors, and afterwards practised for himself on the goldfields of Otago. Mr. H. W. Wilson received his early education at private schools, and later at the Clyde district public school. After a few months in his father's office he entered the service of the City Corporation of Dunedin, in 1878, as cadet in the town clerk's office. He was promoted to the position of assistant town clerk in 1882, and held that office until 1900, when he removed to Auckland. During the illness of the Dunedin town clerk from 1898 to 1900, Mr. Wilson acted for that officer, and gave the greatest satisfaction, owing to his thorough knowledge of municipal business in all its details, the subject being a congenial one to him, and having been made a study throughout his long experience. In 1900 Mr. Wilson was chosen out of forty-five applicants by the City Council of Auckland to fill the responsible office of town clerk, and he assumed the duties of the position in March of the same year. Mr. Wilson was married, in 1891, to the daughter of Mr. James Kinvig, a very old resident of Dunedin.
Mr. Alfred Sexton,
Assistant Town Clerk of Auckland, was recently appointed to the position which he holds.
Mr. John Sylvester Brigham,
City Treasurer, is a son of Mr. James McCrea
Brigham, secretary and treasurer of the Auckland Harbour Board. He was born in Auckland, educated at the Auckland College, and
joined the service of the Bank of New South Wales, in which he remained for six years. In 1896 he resigned from the bank to take up the local secretaryship of the Thames Hauraki Goldfields, Limited, of London, and also the Austin Friars Finance Syndicate, of London. Mr. Brigham severed his connection with these institutions to accept his present position on the 1st of July, 1900. He is a Fellow of the London Institute of Secretaries, and is well known in aquatic circles.
Mr. George Lawrence Evans,
Junior Treasury Clerk to the Auckland City Council, is a son of Mr. J. J. Evans, of the firm of Kennedy and Evans, merchants, Gisborne, and nephew to Mr. H. E. Shacklock, ironfounder, Dunedin. Mr. Evans was born at Oamaru and educated at Gisborne. On leaving school he entered into commercial life at Gisborne, where he remained six years. In 1896 he removed to Auckland, where he obtained a position in the office of the Kauri Timber Company, and was afterwards secretary to Messrs Parker, Lamb and Co. Mr. Evans entered on his present appointment in 1900.
Mr. Thomas Cotter,
Barrister and Solicitor, of Shortland Street, is solicitor to the City of Auckland. His private address is at Remuera Road, Remuera.
Mr. Alfred Almena Wrigg,
City Engineer and Building Surveyor for the Auckland City Council, is a son of the late Mr. Henry Wrigg, civil engineer, a very prominent member of his profession, and was born and educated at Preston, Lancashire, England. Mr. Wrigg came with his father to New Zealand, and served his apprenticeship in the office of his father, who then occupied the position of Provincial and Goldfields Engineer.
On leaving the office in 1872, Mr Wrigg joined the Government service under Messrs Carruthers and Blackett, the chief engineers for the Government, and worked immediately under those gentlemen in bridge construction, and other important works. About 1882, owing to the general retrenchment, Mr. Wrigg retired from the Government service, and joined the staff of Mr. Turnbull, the well-known architect of Wellington, where he remained some time, and left to join Mr. T. W. Hickson, of the Great Northern Land Agency, Auckland. Mr. Hickson had been previously inspector of surveys for the Government. Large survey contracts were carried on by Mr. Hickson, in addition to his land agency business, and Mr. Wrigg held the position of assistant surveyor on the firm's survey branch for two years. He was appointed by the Auckland City Council as assistant in the Engineer's Department early in the eighties, and held the appointment until he received his present position in the year 1899. As a Freemason Mr. Wrigg is a member of Civil Service Lodge, 1521, E.C. He married a daughter of Captain Newby, and has two daughters.
Mr. Edward Hickling,
City Valuer for the Auckland City Council, was born at Nottingham, England, and prior to leaving for
New Zealand he held an appointment under the Local Government Board. Shortly after his arrival in New Zealand, in 1895, he received an appointment in the Government Life Insurance Department, but resigned in March, 1899, to accept his present position in the service of the Auckland City Council.
Mr. Joseph Young Warren,
Rate Collector for the Auckland City Council, is descended from a distinguished family, whose founder accompanied William the Conqueror to England. His uncle, Mr. Young Warren, represented Karangahape Ward in the Auckland City Council from 1889 to 1900. Mr. Warren was born and educated in Auckland, and was engaged in mercantile pursuits for fourteen years after leaving school. In 1898 he joined the staff of the city council as assistant collector, and was appointed collector in 1900.
Mr. Thomas Clues Turner,
Sanitary and Traffic Inspector for the Auckland City Council, was appointed to his position in 1895.
Mr. James Carlow,
Waterworks Engineer for the City Corporation, was employed as turncock for about nineteen years. He was appointed to his present position in 1899.
Mr. John W. Knight,
Clerk of works for the Auckland City Corporation, has filled the position since 1883.
Mr. William Goldie,
who is Superintendent of Parks, was formerly Domain Ranger under the Domain Board for about fifteen years. He received his present appointment in 1893.
Mr. James Lovell
is the Caretaker of the municipal buildings, and is a very courteous and obliging officer. He has held his appointment continuously since 1881.