Barristers And Solicitors.
. (John Archibald Duncan Adams and Alexander Samuel Adams), Barristers and Solicitors, Exchange Court, Princes Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 917. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residences, Mr. J. A. D. Adams, Selkirk Street, Roslyn; Mr. A. S. Adams, Cargill Street. This well known legal firm was founded by the senior partner in conjunction with Mr. John Joyce under the style of Joyce and Adams in 1874. Mr. Joyce, who was afterwards a member of the House of Representatives for Lyttelton, retired in 1878; and the business was then conducted solely by Mr. Adams till 1884, when the present junior partner was admitted.
Barclay, Alfred Richard
, B.A., LL.B., Barrister and Solicitor, Albert Buildings, Princes Street, Dunedin; Private residence: “Ury,” Pine Hill. Mr. Barclay was born in 1858 in Ireland, and came to the Colony as a lad, was educated at the Timaru public school, at Christ's College, Christchurch, and at Otago University, where he gained his B.A. degree in 1878, being the third in New Zealand to achieve that distinction. Six years later he took his LL.B. degree, and having passed the additional examination, was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court in 1885. Mr. Barclay was for several years in the office of Messrs. George and J. A. Cook, and began his present practice almost immediately after admission. In connection with the University of New Zealand he has been clerk of the Convocation since its inauguration in 1884, and has held the office of lecturer on constitutional history and law in University of Otago since 1891. He has been a member of the committee of the Athenæum for five years, is vice-president of the Fabian society, and secretary of the Dunedin chess club. Mr. Barclay was married in 1887 to a daughter of Mr. H. W. Baron, of Nevada, Dunedin, and has one son. In 1899 he was elected member of the House of Representatives for the city of Dunedin, defeating Mr. Scobie MacKenzie. He was, however, defeated at the election of 1902. His politieal career was lively and active, and was remarkable for his uncompromising denunciation of the South African war. In politics Mr. Barclay is an out-and-out Radical.
, Solicitor, 2 Octagon, Dunedin. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, 219 Moray Place East. Mr. Baron is the son of an old settler, Mr. Henry William Baron, who arrived at Nelson in the ship “Golconda,” on Christmas Day, 1859, and the grandson of the late Rev. John Baron, M.A. (Oxon.), vicar of Walsall, England. He was born at Dunedin in 1867, being educated privately until 1879, at the Otago Boys' High School until 1884, and at the New Zealand University, where he became an under-graduate in 1886. Mr. Baron studied law in the office of Messrs. Macassey, Kettle and Woodhouse, and passed his solicitor's final examination in 1889, and the barrister's final in the following year. He was admitted to practice as a solicitor in 1890, and almost immediately afterwards founded the present business. Mr. Baron has taken a good deal of interest in the Volunteer movement; joining the B Battery of the Artillery as a gunner in 1881, he became successively bombardier, corporal, and sergeant, the latter in 1889, and received his commission as lieutenant in June. 1895. He is well known as a rifle shot, having won, besides many other prizes, the Government medal for the best shot in the Otago district in 1893, and the Champion Belt of his battery in the following year. Some years ago Mr. Baron was a prominent long distance runner,
cyclist, and fives player, and was one of the founders of the Dunedin Cycling Club, the Dunedin Amateur Athletic Club, the Otago University Football Club, and the University Students' Association. In 1893 a very severe attack of rheumatic fever, which brought him to the verge of the grave, caused him to sever his connection with several clubs. Politically, Mr. Baron is opposed to the Seddon Government, and holds office as a
Mr. H. Baron.
member of the council of the National Association.
Bathgate And Woodhouse
(Alexander Bathgate and John Frederick Wood-house), Barristers and Solicitors, Water Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 34. Post Office Box, 274. Bankers: Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. Bathgate, “The Glen,” Morningto; Mr. Woodhouse, Alva Street. Mr. Bathgate was born and educated in Scotland. After arriving in New Zealand in 1863, he was for some years employed in a bank, but in 1869 he signed articles with Mr. G. K. Turton, completed them with his father, Mr. John Bathgate (afterwards Minister of Justice and a District Court Judge), and was admitted to practice in 1872. Mr. Woodhouse was born in 1854 in Auckland, and was educated at the Church of England grammar school. He was articled to Messrs. Macassey, Kettle and Co., and, on admission as a barrister and solicitor in 1882, joined that firm under the style of Macassey, Kettle and Woodhouse. When Mr. Kettle was appointed to a district judgeship in 1890 Mr. Bathgate joined Mr. Woodhouse, thus constituting the present firm.
Benjamin, Ethel R., Ll.B.
, Barrister and Solicitor, Albert Buildings, Princes Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 323. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. This young lady has the distinguished honour of leading the way for her sex to the legal profession. A daughter of Mr. Henry Benjamin, well known in Dunedin, but now of London, Miss Benjamin was born in 1875. At school she
won first place in the Education Board scholarships, and was educated mainly at the Otago Girls' High School. She matriculated in 1892, and, after a most brilliant course in law at the Otago University, took the degree of Bachelor of Laws of the University of New Zealand. Miss Benjamin was admitted as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court by his Honour Mr. Justice Williams, and at once entered on the practice of her profession. She frequently contributes to the literature of the day, and has published papers entitled “Women and Workers,” “Women and the study and practice of the law,” etc. At the ceremony in connection with the conferring of degrees by the Otago University in 1897, Miss Benjamin responded on behalf of the graduates, that
Miss E. Benjamin.
being the first occasion on which a lady graduate had performed the duty. Miss Benjamin takes a keen interest in all social problems of the present day, especially those which relate to the position of women; and, although she does not confine herself to any department of her profession, she makes a specialty of those which more particularly affect her own sex.
, Solicitor, Stafford Chambers, 73 Princes Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 63. P.O. Box, 45. Bankers: Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Queen's Drive, Moutpellier, Mr. Brown-Durie was born at Irvine, Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1868, and was educated at the public school and at the Irvine Royal Academy. Upon leaving the academy he entered the office of Messrs Gilmcur and Christie, solicitors, Irvine, where he remained up to the time of his departure for New Zealand about eighteen months afterwards. He arrived in Port Chalmers about Christmas 1882, by the ship “Nelson,” and shortly afterwards entered the office of Messrs. Howorth and Hodgkins. When the partnership was dissolved, Mr. Brown-Durie remained on with Mr. Hodgkins till the time of his employer's death, in February, 1898. Mr. Brown-Durie was admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court in 1894, and after the death of his
employer commenced the practice of his profession. As an Oddfellow he is a member of the Hand and Heart Lodge, Manchester Unity, and takes considerable interest in shooting, being a member of the Dunedin Rifle Club.
Callan And Gallaway
(John Bartholomew Callan, B.A., LL.B., and John McRae Gallaway), Barristers and Solicitors, corner of Water and Vogel Streets, Dunedin. Telephone, 148. Post Office Box, 238. Bankers: Bank of Australasia. Private residences: Mr. Callan, Levin Street, Roslyn; Mr Gallaway, Queen's Drive, Musselburgh. Mr. Callan, who was born in Dublin, and educated at Melbourne university, where he gained his degrees in 1876, was admitted to the Bar both in Victoria and New Zealand in the following year, and established the present practice with Mr. Gallaway in 1882.
Calvert And Brugh
(Frederick Calvert and William Robert Brugh), Barristers and Solicitors, 41 Dowling Street, Dunedin. Telephone 322; Bankers, Bank of Australasia; Private residences: Mr. Calvert, 1 Queen Street; Mr. Brugh, 8 Victoria Street.
Chapman, Charles Robert
, Barrister and Solicitor, Australian Mutual Provident Society's Building, Princes Street, Dunedin. Mr. Chapman was articled in 1866 to the late Mr. James Macassey, and after studying law under him for some time completed his articles With Mr. E. P. Kenyon. He established his present practice in 1873, soon after his admission as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court on the 24th of January of that year. Mr. Chapman is further referred to as a former Mayor of Dunedin.
, Solicitor, Dunedin. Mr. Cooke was born in 1868, in Dunedin, educated at the Boys' High School, studied for his profession in his native city, passed his examinations in 1889, and was admitted three years later. He has acted as managing clerk for Messrs. Kenyon and Hosking since 1889. As a Freemason he is attached to Lodge St. Andrew, E.C. Interested in cricket, he is a member of the Carisbrook cricket club, and acted as secretary for five years. Mr. Cooke is also an enthusiastic musician, and
has been organist and choirmaster of the Moray Place Congregational Church since 1890.
Duncan And MacGregor
(Peter Duncan and Hon, John MacGregor, ex-M.L.C), Barristers and Solicitors, Government Life Insurance Building, Princes Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 137. P.O. Box, 155. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. Duncan, Ross Street, Roslyn; Mr. MacGregor, Anderson's Bay. London agents, Messrs. W. Martin Flegg and Son, 3 Laurence Pountney Hill, Cannon Street, E.C. This firm dates back to the 7th of January, 1878, since which the business has been conducted as at present constituted. Messrs. Duncan and MacGregor are solicitors to the Board of Governors of the Otago Boys' and Girls' High Schools, to the “Evening Star” Company, Ltd., the Roslyn Tramway Company, Dunedin, the New Zealand Express Company, Ltd., the Farmers' Agency Company, Dunedin, the Castle Hill Coal Company, Dunedin, Messrs. Reid and Gray, and many other large institutions; they conduct a large general conveyancing, Court, and trust business. Mr. Duncan, who was born in Dunedin in 1854, was educated at the Gymnasium, Aberdeen, Scotland, at Clifton, Gloucestershire, England, at the Dunedin Boys' High School, and at the Otago University. He studied for his profession
with Mr. Kenyon, the late Mr. Haggitt, and Sir R. Stout, being admitted a barrister and solicitor on the 20th of October, 1876. For four years before joining Mr. MacGregor in founding the present business, he was managing clerk to Messrs, Sievwright and Stout. Mr. Duncan is a notary public. He has served as a member of the Roslyn Borough Council and the Roslyn school committee. In 1878 Mr. Duncan was married to the eldest daughter of Mr. Alexander Mollison, of Roslyn, and has two sons. Mr. MacGregor is referred to in another article as a former member of the Legislative Council.
Fraser, John Fraser McQueen
, Barrister and Solicitor, 5 Crawford Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 174. P.O. Box, 155. Bankers: Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, St. Clair. Mr. Fraser first established his practice in 1877 in Palmerston South, and transferred it to Dunedin four years later. For six years ending December, 1888, the firm was styled Fraser and Stilling. Mr. Fraser was born in Guernsey in 1852, and was educated at Victoria college, Jersey, Scotch college, Melbourne, Christ's college, Christchurch, and at the Dunedin high school. He is the second son of the late Hon. Captain Fraser, M.L.C., whom he accompanied to the Colony in the ship “Oliver Laing” (on her last voyage) arriving in Wellington in 1858. Mr. Fraser served articles with Mr. George Cook, of Dunedin, and was admitted to the practice of his profession in 1876. In educational matters, he has served as a member of the Otago Education Board, and also as a governor of the Dunedin Boys' and Girls' High Schools. He is Crown Solicitor for the Otago provincial district. Mr. Fraser was married in 1878 to the second daughter of the late Mr. R. D. Ireland, Q.C., of Melbourne.
Finch, Alfred Abner
, Barrister and Solicitor, Dowling Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 301. P.O.Box, 250. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Royal Terrace, Mr. Finch was born in Brixton, Surrey, England, in 1856, and came to New Zealand with his parents in the ship “Mariner” in 1859. He was educated at the Dunedin High School and the University of Otago, and served his articles to Mr. B. C. Haggitt, then Crown Solicitor, and was admitted in 1883. The following year he joined Mr. Donald Reid, junior, who was in business under the style of Reid Bros., the firm being Messrs. Reid Bros, and Finch. This partnership was dissolved in 1887, and Mr. Finch has since conducted the business in his own name. He is interested in athletic and musical matters, having been president of the Otago Lawn Tennis Club for two years, president of the Dunedin Cycling Club for several years, secretary of the Carisbrook Cricket Club for several years, and treasurer of the Dunedin Orchestral Society for over ten years. In 1888 Mr. Finch was married to the second daughter of the late Mr. Hugh MacNeil, of the firm of Messrs A. Briscoe and Co., and has two daughters and one son.
Haggitt Bros. And Brent
(D'Arcy Haggitt and Spencer Brent), Barristers and Solicitors, High Street, Dunedin; established in 1871; Telephone 14; P.O. Box, 86; Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. D. Haggitt, “Belmont,” Roslyn; Mr. Brent, “The Warren,” Maori Hill.
Hanlon, Alfred Charles
, Barrister and Solicitor, 162 Moray Place Fast, Dunedin. Telephone, 723. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, 16 Pitt Street. Mr. Hanlon was born in Dunedin in 1866 and was educated at Port Chalmers District High School and at the Dunedin Boys' High School. He was articled to Mr. J. A. D. Adams, passed his final examination in 1888, and was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court by Mr. Justice Williams in December of that year. Early in the following year Mr. Hanlon commenced to practise, and has made rapid progress in his profession. He has already established a large court practice, and has appeared in the most important criminal trials which have taken place in the Otago district since his admission. In out-door recreations he is specially partial to cricket, and holds office as president of the Grange Cricket Club, and as vice-president of the Otago Cricket Association. He is also vice-president of the Dunedin Amateui Boating Club, and the Alhambra Football Club.
Hislop, John Alexander
, Barrister and Solicitor, Temple Chambers, 99 Princes Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 215, P.O.Box. 225. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand.
Private residence, Clyde Street. Mr. Hislop, is the second son of Dr. Hislop, and was born near Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1848. He landed in Otago with his parents in 1856, and was educated at private schools in Dunedin. He was articled to Messrs. Smith, Anderson and Co., with whom he remained for nine years, and was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court in 1877.
, B.A., Barrister and Solicitor, Bond Street, Dunedin; Bankers, Bank of New South Wales; Private residence, George Street. This practice was established in 1870, and Mr. Holmes has acted for many years as solicitor for the Union Steam Ship Company of New Zealand, the Kaitangata Railway and Coal Company, the Mosgiel Woollen Company, and the New Zealand Refrigerating Company. He was born in Geelong in 1845, and was educated at the Edinburgh and Oxford universities, gaining his degree at the latter in 1866. After admission as a barrister at the Middle Temple in 1870, he came to Dunedin in that year, and was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand soon after his arrival.
Macdonald, Daniel Douglas
, Barrister and Solicitor, 125 Princes Street, Danedin. Telephone, 704. P.O. Box, 87. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private
residence, St. Clair, Dunedin. Mr. Macdonald was born in 1847 at Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, Scotland, and was educated at the Kelso Grammar School, the Edinburgh High School, and at the Otago University. Before coming to New Zealand he had some legal experience in Edinburgh, and a short banking career in connection with the City of Glasgow Bank, and in Dunedin he became managing clerk to Messrs Smith, Anderson and Co. in 1869. After remaining in that position for four years, he acted in a like capacity for a similar period for Messrs Hart and Buckley, of Wellington, passing his barrister's examination in the latter city in 1877. On returning to Dunedin, he was manager of the common law and conveyancing department
for Messrs. Sievwright and Stout for five years. He commenced to practise in Dunedin in 1879, and has been in practice there ever since.
Milne, William Deans
, M.A., LL.D., Barrister and Solicitor, Dunedin. Dr Milne is a native of Canada, and was brought to the Colony by his parents as a child, arriving
Dr W. D. Milne.
at Port Chaimers in 1363 by the ship “Viola.” Educated at Caversham, the Dunedin High School, and at the Otago University, he graduated B.A. in 1882 and LL.B. in the following year, taking his degree as a Master of Arts in 1887, and as LL.D. in 1899. Dr Milne studied law under Messrs Dick and Stuart, and was with them for three years; being admitted a barrister and solicitor in 1884, he at once commenced to practise his profession. For a number of years Dr Milne held a seat on the Senate of the New Zealand University, to which he was elected by the graduates, but he resigned in 1900. In 1893 he was appointed Lecturer on Jurisprudence in the University of Otago, and held the appointment till 1900. As a volunteer Dr Milne joined the Caversham Rifle Corps in 1885, as lieutenant, became captain in the succeeding year, and became adjutant of the First Otago Infantry Battalion in 1889. In Odd fellowship he was Past Grand Master of Loyal Caversham Lodge, and held the seat of the Provincial Grand Master of the Otago district, Manchester Unity, in the year 1892. Dr Milne resides at Caversham.
Mondy, Sim And Stephens
(George Mondy, William Alexander Sim, and Jefferson Counsel Stephens), Barristers and Solicitors, 123 Princes Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 44. P.O. Box, 83. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. Mondy, Royal Terrace; Mr. Sim, Musselburgh; Mr. Stephens, Hawthorne Avenue, Mornington. Agents, Mackrell and Co., Cannon Street, London, E.C.; T. and B. Stout, St. Vincent Street, Glasgow; Blake and Riggall, William Street, Melbourne; and McDonnell and Moffitt, Sydney. Before its present constitution the firm had carried on business, successively, as Sievwright and Stout; Sievwright, Stout and Co.; and as Stout, Mondy and Sim. Messrs Mondy, Sim and Stephens are solicitors to the Otago Harbour Board, the Otago Education Board, the School Commissioners for Otago, the Dunedin City Council, and Mornington tramway companies; the borough councils of Caversham, South Dunedin, and West Harbour, the local branches of the New Zealand Government Life Office, and of the New Zealand Accident Insurance Company, and a large number of public companies. Mr. Mondy is a notary public. He was born in Melbourne, Victoria, in 1857, was educated at the Union Street School, at the Dunedin High School and Otago University. Articled in 1874 to Messrs. Slevwright and Stout, he was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court in July, 1879. Mr. Sim was born in Wanganui in 1858, and educated at the local Grammar School; he served his articles with Mr. Borlase and passed his examination in 1877. In the following year Mr. Sim went to Dunedin, where he entered the office of Mr. George Cook. He was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court in 1879, in which year he became associated with Messrs. Sievwright and Stout. Two years afterwards he went to Messrs. Smith, Anderson and Co., returning in 1884, to take charge of the common law department of Messrs. Sievwright, Stout and Co., which he conducted until the dissolution of that firm in 1887. Mr. Sim was appointed in 1896, chairman of the Conciliation Board for the Otago and Southland industrial districts.
Moore, F. Z. and W. L.
(Frederick Zwingle Moore and William Luther Moore),
Barristers, Solicitors, and Notaries Public, 85 Stuart Street, Dunedin; Telephone 1378; Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand, Limited. Private residences: Mr F. Z. Mcore, 55 Royal Terrace; Mr. W. L. Moore, 86 High Street.
Mr. Frederick Zwingle Moore
, Notary Public, the Senior Partner, is the second son of the late Mr. Charles Moore, of Dunedin, merchant. He was born in 1873, and educated at the Otago Boys' High School. He studied for his profession while in Messrs Downie Stewart and Co.'s office, where he remained for six years, and while there he passed his solicitor's examination, and was admitted early in 1895 as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand. Shortly after his admission he started practice in Dunedin, and in 1900 was admitted to the Bar.
Mr. William Luther Moore, Ll.B.
, the Junior Partner, is a brother of Mr. F. Z. Moore. He was educated at the Otago
Mr. W. L. Moore
Boys' High School, and for some years after leaving that institution, he was employed in a wholesale warehouse. Matriculating in 1897, he obtained his LL.B. degree in 1901, and in the same year was admitted as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand, and joined his brother in practice.
Park, Andrew John.
, B.A., C.E, Notary Public, Barrister and Solicitor, and Registered Patent Agent, Foreign Member of the Chartered Institute of Patent Agents, London; corner of High and Manse Streets, Dunedin. Telephone, 248. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia, Ltd. London Law Agents, Blyth, Dutton and Co. Private residence, Abbotsford. Established 1891. Mr. Park
was born in Bothwell, Tasmania, and came to New Zealand in 1864 with his father, who was for many years headmaster of the William Street school, and subsequently of the High
Street school, Dunedin. He was educated at the William Street school, where he gained a five years' provincial scholarship worth £30 per annum, and subsequently at the Dunedin High School, the Otago University, and Canterbury College, Christchurch Mr. Park became a first class prizeman in senior mathematics at the University of Otago, and gained a senior scholarship in mental and political science in the New Zealand University, in which he took his B.A. degree. When a youth, he served in the New Zealand Land and Survey Department for a few years, but afterwards studied for the legal profession in Christchurch for seven years, and was admitted to practice in 1887. He is a specialist in Patent, Mining and Company Law. Mr. Park has a branch office at the Post Office Chambers, Pitt Street, Sydney, Australia, under the management of Mr. Robert Park, Patent Attorney. He is also interested in the firm of J. B. Park and Co., Engineers and Agents, 24 Manse Street, Dunedin. As a Freemason Mr. Park belongs to Lodge St. Andrew, S.C., and is also attached to the Linden Lodge of Oddfellows.
Reid And Macassey
(Donald Reid, junior, and Percy Seaborn Kettle Macassey), Barristers and Solicitors, 12 Lower Rattray Street, Dunedin. Private residences: Mr. Reid, Roslyn; Mr. Macassey, 356 George Street, Dunedin.
Mr. Donald Reid
, junior, of the legal firm of Reid and Macassey, is the elder son of Mr. Donald Reid, well known in Otago as the senior partner of the firm of Messrs. D. Reid and Co. Mr. D. Reid, junior, was born at Caversham in 1855, and educated at North Taieri district school. He studied law with Messrs. Smith, Anderson and Co., of Dunedin, was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court in 1879, and in the following year established himself in business, which he continued till 1888. For nine years following he was a partner in his father's firm, from which, however, he retired in 1897 to resume the practice of his profession. Mr. Reid takes a keen interest in bimetallism and economic subjects generally, and is the secretary of the New Zealand Bimetallic League.
Mr. Percy Seaborn Kettle Macassey
, partner in the firm of Reid and Macassey, is the eldest son of the late James Livingstone Macassey. He was born on the 14th day of December, 1875, and was educated at the Boys' High School, Dunedin; took classes at the University, and was articled to Mr. J. H. Hosking, of Messrs Kenyon and Hosking. Mr. Macassey was admitted to practice in 1900, and shortly afterwards joined Mr. Donald Reid, under the style of Reid and Macassey. He takes great interest in football and all athletic sports.
Sidey, Thomas Kay
, B.A., LL.B., Barrister and Solicitor, Princes Street, Dunedin. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, “Corstorphine.” Caversham. Mr. Sidey is referred to in another article as member for Caversham in the Parliament of New Zealand.
Smith, Macgregor, And Sinclair
(John Robert Sinclair, William Cunningham MacGregor, and Alexander Sinclair), Barristers, Solicitors, and Notaries Public, 7 Liverpool Street. Dunedin. Cable address, “Probate, Dunedin.” Private residences: Mr. J. R. Sinclair, 41 Melville Street; Mr. W. C. MacGregor, Nevada; Mr. Alexander Sinclair, 79 Cargill Street. This firm was founded under the style of Smith, Anderson, and Co., and during later years it was carried on as Smith, Chapman, and Sinclair. Upon the appointment of Mr. F. R. Chapman as a Judge of the Supreme Court, Mr. W. C. MacGregor was admitted a partner in the firm.
Mr. William Cunningham Mac-Gregor
, of the firm of Smith, MacGregor and Sinclair, barristers and solicitors, is a son of the late Rev. Dr. MacGregor, formerly of New College, Edinburgh, and more recently of Oamaru. Mr. MacGregor was born in Paisley, Scotland, in 1862, and educated at George Watson's school, Edinburgh, and at the Edinburgh University. He arrived in Port Chalmers in the ship “Jessie Readman” late in the year 1881, and entered the office of Messrs. Stewart and Denniston, with whom he remained four years. Mr. MacGregor passed his final examination in July, 1883, taking the first position of any law student in the colony, for which he was awarded the Canterbury Law Society's Gold Medal. In September of the same year, he was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand, and commenced to practise in Dunedin. Mr. MacGregor has, in addition to his professional work, written largely for the Home and Colonial press. He
Mr. W. C. MacGregor.
is a member of the Otago and Dunedin golf clubs, of both of which he was champion in 1897. When Mr. F. R. Chapman became a Judge of the Supreme Court, Mr. MacGregor entered the legal firm of which Mr. Chapman had been a member, and the firm took its present name.
Stewart And Payne
(Charles Joseph Payne and William Downie Stewart, LL.B.), Barristers and Solicitors. 5 Liverpool Street, Dunedin. Bankers, the Bank of New Zealand; P.O. Box. 185; Telephone, 27. Private residences: Mr. Stewart, Heriot Row; Mr. Payne, Belleknowes. The Home agents of the firm are Messrs Sandilands and Co., solicitors, Fenchurch Street, London, and Ferguson and Ramsay, S.S.C., Edinburgh. This is one of the leading practices in Otago, and was established as far back as 1867 by the late Hon. W. Downie Stewart. Mr. J. E. Denniston, now Mr. Justice Denniston, was admitted into partnership, and continued to be a member of the firm until his official appointment in 1889. About a year before Mr. Stewart's death Mr. Payne became a partner, and in 1900 Mr. W. Downie Stewart, son of the founder, became a member of the firm, which has since been carried on as Stewart and Payne. Messrs Stewart and Payne are solicitors for the Otago Presbyterian Church Board of Property, the North-East Valley Borough Council, Messrs Ross and Glendining, Limited, A. and T. Burt, Limited, John Reid and Son, the Otago Heads Road Board, and the Dunedin and Roslyn Tram Company.
Mr. Charles Joseph Payne
, Of the firm of Stewart and Payne, was born in Adelaide, South Australia, and came to New
Zealand in 1884. In the following year he entered the office of his present firm, then carrying on business under the style of Messrs Stewart, Holmes, and Denniston,
where he studied for his profession. He was admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand in 1896, and in the following year entered into partnership with the late Hon. W. Downie Stewart. Mr. Payne has always taken a keen interest in athletics, and is President of the Kaituna Bowling Club, the Kaituna Lawn Tennis Club, and the Zingari Football Club.
Mr. William Downie Stewart
, LL.B., Of the firm of Stewart and Payne, is the second son of the late Hon. W. Downie Stewart. He was born in Dunedin, and educated at the Boys' High School and the University of Otago. He obtained his LL.B. degree in 1900, and the same year was admitted as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand. In 1903 Mr. Stewart made a prolonged tour through the countries of the Old World, returning to New Zealand, via Siberia. An interesting account of this four was published in the “Otago Daily Times,” in October, 1903.
Solomon And Gascoigne
(Saul Solomon, B.A., and Albert Ernest Gascoigne), Barristers and Solicitors, 112 Princes Street, Dunedin. Private residences: Mr. Solomon, 55 Moray Place West, Dunedin; Mr Gascoigne, 71 Cargill Street, Dunedin.
Mr. Saul Solomon
, B.A., Senior Partner in the firm of Solomon and Gascoigne, was born in 1857 in Melbourne, Victoria, and was educated at the Dunedin High School, where
he became dux in 1872. Having gained a scholarship, he entered the Otago University, and succeeded in winning four scholarships in one year, being capped in 1874 by the late Judge Chapman, as one of the first graduates of the University. Mr. Solomon, who but set his mind on the medical profession, abandoned the study of medicine, which he found uncongenial, and in 1876 became barrister's pupil to Mr. Robert Stout, now Chief Justice Sir Robert Stout. It was not long before he became managing clerk of the common law department of the firm, and in 1879 he was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court by His Honour Mr. Justice Williams. As a pleader, Mr. Solomon has already made a name for himself, his services being in request whenever there is an important trial; he has been retained to defend prisoners charged with murder, besides acting as counsel in devoice and other sensational civil proceedings. He took a leading part in the investigations which occupied the Supreme Court respecting the Colonial Bank and the estate of the Hon. J. G. Ward. As a sportsman, Mr. Solomon is the owner of the racers, “Beadonwell,” “Belle Clair,” and “Blazer”; he is vice-president of the Dunedin Amateur Bowling Club, to which he was presented a cup for annual competitions, and is president of the Dunedin Football Club.
Mr. Albert Ernest Gascoigne
, partner in the firm of Messrs Solomon and Gascoigne, Princes Street, Dunedin, was born in the Tuapeka district, and educated at the Lawrence District High School, where he succeeded in taking the Education Board's Senior Scholarship, and passed three years subsequently at the Dunedin Boys' High School. Mr. Gascoigne matriculated at the University of Otago in 1884. In the same year he entered Mr. Solomon's office where he studied law, and passed his examination as solicitor in 1888. In 1900 he joined the firm as junior partner. Mr. Gascoigne has always taken a keen interest in athletic sports, and is vice-president of the Otago Rowing Association, and also of the Dunedin Amateur Boating Club.
Webb And Allan
(Herbert Webb and William Allan), Barristers and Solicitors, Eldon Chambers, Princes Street, Dunedin. Telephone 109. Post Office Box 25; Bankers: National Bank of New Zealand; Private residences: Mr. Webb, Elgin Road, Mornington; Mr. Allan, Mosgiel. This practice, which was originally established under the style of Dick and Stuart, was conducted solely by Mr. Webb from 1886 to 1894, when Mr. Allan joined him in the present partnership. The senior partner, who is a Yorkshireman by birth, served articles with Mr. W. M. Hodgkins in Dunedin, and was admitted in
1876. Mr. Allan, who was born in Bast Taieri, served his articles with Mr. Webb, and was admitted a barrister and solicitor in 1894.
, Barrister and Solicitor, Zealandia Chambers, Dowling Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 1266. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, “Nevada,” Roslyn. Born in 1862 in Glasgow, Scotland, Mr. Wilkinson was brought by his parents during the first year of his life to Otago, where he received his education, and was afterwards articled successively to Messrs. E. S. Hay and J. Hislop. Having completed his articles and passed the prescribed examinations, he was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court on the 17th of September, 1883, and at once commenced the practice of his profession. Mr. Wilkinson, who is solicitor to several Friendly Societies, has a considerable circle of clients, both as a conveyancer and a barrister. He is interested in the China Inland Mission as a member of its council, of which he also acts as treasurer, the headquarters for the South Island of New Zealand being at his office.
Mr. Edward Aslin
, Managing Clerk for Mr. John Wilkinson, was born at Oxton, Nottingham. England, on the 18th of November, 1865. He was educated at Bethany House, Goudhurst College, Kent, and came out to New Zealand in 1879, in the ship “Taranaki,” Soon after his arrival, Mr. Aslin commenced studying law with Mr. H. S. Austin, barrister and solicitor, of Christchurch and Timaru, and remained with that gentleman for seven years.
Wriggtesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. E. Aslin.
In 1888 he passed his law examinations, and was admitted as a solicitor. Desirous of gaining more knowledge and experience in his profession, he removed to Melbourne, and was associated with Mr. N. Levinson, solicitor, of that city. Mr. Aslin finally returned to New Zealand, and since 1899 he has been associated with Mr. John Wilkinson, Dunedin. He is an active member of the Young Men's Christian Association, and for a number of years has served on the Board and held the office of honorary secretary. Mr. Astin was married, in 1893, to a daughter of Mr. H. S. Austin, Christchurch, and has five daughters.
, Barrister and Solicitor, 90 Princes Street, Dunedin. Telephone 1223; P.O. Box, 385. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Private residence, Anderson's Bay
(Telephone, 305). Cable address, “Nocturn.” Mr. White, who commenced the practice of his profession in 1875, acts as solicitor to the Otago Hospital Board and the Otago Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, to the Dunedin Hospital Trustees, to the Dempsey Trustees (incorporated) and the Tamahawk Road Board. He was born in 1849 in Sydney, where he was privately educated, and was for some years in the service of the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney. In 1870 he came to Dunedin where he served his articles with the late Mr. James Anderson, and was admitted to the bar on the 18th of March, 1875. Mr. White unsuccessfully contested the Waikouaiti seat in the Opposition interest at the general election in 1899, and the Chalmers seat, in 1902. He was a member of the Peninsula County Council for several years, and for some time occupied the position of chairman. Mr. White has also filled similar offices in connection with the Peninsula Road Board. For over twenty years and until lately he was a member of the Anderson's Bay school committee, of which he was chairman for some years. He has been a member of the Dunedin Hospital Board, of the Hospital Trustees, and of the Otago Hospital and Charitable Aid Boards, and was also chairman of the Gardens Committee and a Commissioner of the New Zealand Exhibition of 1889–90. Mr. White was a member of the Dunedin Artillery, and in 1885, in conjunction with Mr. Frank Oakden and the late Professor J. Mainwaring Brown, raised the Peninsula Naval Artillery Volunteers, of which he was the first captain, resigning after five years' service. Mr. White is chairman of directors of the Milburn Lime and Cement Company, Limited, and the New Zealand Portland Cement Company, Limited, and managing director and attorney in New Zealand for the Round Hill Mining Company, Limited, Liverpool, England. He was president of the Otago Rowing Associaton for many years, president of the New Zealand Amateur Rowing Association for the year 1903–4, and of the Otago Rowing Club, and a member or officer of many other clubs. In October, 1876, he was married to a daughter of the Hon. M. Holmes, M.L.C. and has four sons and three daughters.
Mr. Bryan Cecil Haggitt
, sometime Crown Solicitor for Otago, occupied a leading place in the legal profession in Dunedin. He was born in 1838 in Toronto, Canada, and was taken by his parents, when but three years of age, to Hobart, Tasmania, where he was educated principally at the Hutchins' School. Mr. Haggitt was articled in Hobart to his father, the late Mr. D'Arey Haggitt, duly passed the prescribed examinations, and was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Tasmania early in the year 1861. In May of the succeeding year he came to Dunedin, and laid the foundation of the large practice now conducted by the firm of Messrs Haggitt Bros.
and Brent, Mr. Haggitt was returned to the Provincial Council of Otago as member for Dunedin in 1865; early in the following year became Provincial Solicitor, and held the office almost continuously till the abolition of the provinces in 1876. Mr. Haggitt was gazetted a Justice of the Peace
and Resident Magistrate at Dunedin in May, 1865, and, on the removal of Mr. Prender gast (afterwards Chief Justice Sir James Prendergast) to Wellington in March, 1867, the position of Crown Solicitor was conferred upon him, and he held it during the remainder of his life. Mr. Haggitt held appointments as solicitor to many large local and colonial institutions, namely, the Colonial Bank, from its inception till the commencement of liquidation, the National Mortgage and Agency Company, the old firm of Dalgety and Co., Dalgety and Company, Ltd., Messrs Wright, Stephenson and Co. (for thirty-five years), several county councils (including Waikouaiti, Clutha, Tuapeka, and Maniototo), and to the University, of which he was the first solicitor. He was the first Church Advocate appointed in Dunedin, and was chancellor of the Diocese of Dunedin for several years, up to the time of his death. Mr. Haggitt married twice—first in 1861 a daughter of Mr. W. G. Robertson, of Hobart (who died in 1881, leaving six sons and four daughters), and second in February, 1883, a daughter of the late Mr. W. A. Tolmie, of Dunedin; by this marriage he had five sons and four daughters. Mr. Haggitt died of heart disease on the 1st of February, 1898.
Mr. James Livingstone Macassey
, one of the most brilliant members of the New Zealand Bar, who died on the 9th day of May, 1880, in his thirty-eighth year, was born in Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Ireland, on the 24th of September, 1842. He was the son of an Independent minister, who for many years laboured at Carrickfergus, a small town situated about ten miles from Belfast. The subject of this notice was the second of three sons, the first of whom died young, but lived long enough to become a somewhat distinguished Independent minister; the youngest is now a civil engineer of considerable repute in Belfast. Mr. Macassey came out to Adelaide while still a mere boy, and was articled to Messrs Gwynne (afterwards Judge Gwynne) and Lawrence. His aptitude for legal pursuits, quickness of perception, retentive memory, and remarkable industry soon attracted the attention of several prominent barristers. On leaving Adelaide he went to Melbourne, and there entered the office of Mr. Stephen (afterwards Judge Stephen). During the Otago gold “rush” Mr.
Maecassey crossed the Tasman Sen to Dunedin, and entered the office of Messrs. Richmond and Gillies (both of whom afterwards became judges of the supreme court) as common law clerk. In this situation his remarkable abilities gained for him the notice and commendation of Mr. Justice Gresson. Mr. Macassey made rapid progress in his profession. Admitted as a barrister on the 29th of September, 1865, he entered into partnership with Mr. Turton, and soon acquired a leading position in the profession. They were subsequently joined by Mr. John Hyde Harris, and the partnership continued for some years. Upon its dissolution Mr. Macassey continued practice alone, but was soon joined by Mr. Allan Holmes (of the Inner Temple), and subsequently Mr. F. R. Chapman (of the Middle Temple) was admitted into the firm. After the dissolution of partnership by effluxion of time, Mr. Macassey joined his brother-in-law, Mr. C. C. Kettle (now District Judge Kettle), with whom he remained connected in business till the time of his death. Mr. Macassey had obtained from his early training an accurate knowledge of the practice of the law, which stood him in good stead. He devoted himself more especially to what is known as court work, and had very few rivals as a pleader. He conducted nisi pries cases with much zeal and ability, but his strength lay in his aptitude for banco work. Industrious in hunting up precedents bearing on the various questions involved, and careful in the arrangement of his arguments, he was always dreaded as an opponent. He was engaged in most of the important cases which came before the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal. As a lawyer he had a colonial reputation—acquired as much by his industry as by his exceptional ability. In 1875 Mr. Macassey published a volume of reports of law cases argued and determined in the Otago and Southland district of the Supreme Court, and on appeal to the higher court, from 1861 to 1872: this work has had considerable influence in moulding the practice of the supreme courts of the Colony. Mr. Macassey married the first female white child born in Dunedin—Miss Elizabeth Kettle, daughter of Mr. C. H. Kettle, who surveyed the town of Dunedin. In the ranks of able and learned lawyers of the past, Mr. Macassey undoubtedly was one of the most accomplished known in New Zealand.