The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Mr. E. W. Andrews, B.A., First Assistant Master of the Napier Boys' High School, is further referred to as Captain of the First Company of the High School Cadets.
Mr. Walter Kerr, M.A. (Cambridge), and Intermediate B.Sc. (London University), who holds the mastership of mathematics and science at the Napier Boys' High School, was born at Remuera. Auckland, and is the third son of the late Mr. William Kerr, one of the pioneers of Auckland. He was educated at public schools, and was afterwards for a few years engaged in teaching, under the Auckland Education Board. Mr. Kerr then graduated B.A. at the Auckland University, and subsequently went to Cambridge, where he took mathematical honours in the tripos of 1889, and graduated M.A. in 1893. For some time he studied at the London University, of which he is an intermediate B.Sc. Mr. Kerr was then appointed mathematical and science master at the Uttoxeter Grammar School, Staffordshire, and later on held a similar position in Morrison's Academy, at Crieff, in Scotland. In 1904 he returned to New Zealand, was for a few months an assistant master at Nelson College, and in 1905 received his present appointment.
Mr. Harry Howard Allan, B.A., who was appointed Senior House Master of the Napier Boys' High School in January, 1906, is a native of Nelson, where his father, Mr. Robert Allan, is manager of the New Zealand Clothing Factory's business. He was born in the year 1882, and after passing through the public school went to the Nelson College, where he subsequently studied for his B.A. degree, as an extra-mural student of the Auckland University College, graduating in 1904. Mr. Allan has taken considerable interest in athletics, and was a member of the Auckland University first fifteen for 1905.
Mr. Cecil Ferdinand Rockel., Fifth Assistant and Junior House Master of the Napier Boys' High School, was born in Carnarvon, about twenty miles from Feilding, in the year 1884, and is the eighth son of Mr. G. A. Herman Rockel, a well-known farmer. He was educated at the public school in his native place, where, after reaching the second standard, he was employed a part of each day in teaching the pupils immediately below his own status in the school. At fourteen years of age he won a senior scholarship, and went to Wanganui College, where he was granted an extra free year. He was subsequently for two years at the Wanganui Preparatory College, under Mr. W. E. Atkinson, before receiving his present appointment. While at Wanganui he matriculated on the Junior University Scholarship papers, and he has since kept a year's terms as an extramural student of the Victoria College in Wellington. Mr. Rockel was for some time a member of the Wanganui Highland Rifles, and is a lieutenant of the Napier Rifles. As a footballer he played in the Wanganui College team in 1902, in the College Old Boys' team in 1903 and 1904, and in the Wanganui “Reps” for 1904; in 1905 he was a member of the Scinde Football Club, and of the Hawke's Bay “Reps,” playing with the latter team in all centres of the colony. He was also for some time a member of several Wanganui cricket clubs, and of the Wanganui rowing, swimming, and Sandow clubs.
The Rev. D. Sidey, D.D., Secretary to the High School Board of Governors, and sometime chairman of the Education Board, and Clerk and Treasurer to the Presbyterian General Assembly of New Zealand, was born at Pitcairn Green, near Perth, Scotland, educated at Redgorton parish school and Perth Academy, and graduated at Edinburgh University. Dr. Sidey entered the Church in 1857, and had charge of a parish at Auchtermuchty for about eight years; later, he was transferred to West Calder, where he remained for six years, then came to New Zealand by the ship “Caduceus,” and landed at Auckland in 1872. He proceeded to Napier, where he took charge of the Presbyterian Church, to which he had been appointed previous to his departure from Scotland. In 1884, when Mr. Patterson succeeded him in his charge, Dr. Sidey became clerk and treasurer to the General Asembly, page 342 but still occasionally officiated at religious services. He has always taken a prominent part in educational and ecclesiastical matters. When Dr. Sidey arrived in Hawke's Bay there were only two Presbyterian ministers in the province, now there are thirteen in charges, besides one in Poverty Bay. This result is a monument to the indefatigable efforts put forth by him and his associates in the ministry. “Dr. Sidey lost his wife in 1894, and had three sons and two daughters.
The Napier Girls' High School, which is pleasantly situated on Clyde Road, Napier, was first opened under the superintendence of Miss M. E. G. Hewett, of Queen's College, Cambridge, in February, 1884, and has become one of the leading institutions of its kind in the North Island. The school has, from time to time, been enlarged and improved, and is now a handsome two-storeyed building, containg well-furnished class-rooms, a general dining room, a music room, sitting rooms, pupils' bedrooms, and the drawing room. Some distance from the main building there is a large play-shed, which also contains a cookery department. The grounds surrounding the school have a westerly aspect, and include an asphalt playground, an orchard and vegetable garden, flower gardens, and tennis and croquet lawns. Pupils are prepared for the junior and senior Civil Service examinations, matriculation, junior University Scholarships, and University term examinations, and Trinity College musical tests. Of the large number of pupils presented within recent years, ninety per cent. have been successful. Systematic instruction is also given in gymnastics and physical drill. The average attendance is about 105, an increase of nearly 100 per cent during the last five years. The head mistress of the school, Miss A. E. J. Spencer, B.A., is supported by an efficient staff, three of whom are University graduates.
Miss Anna Elizabeth Jerome Spencer, B.A. (New Zealand), Principal of the Napier Girls' High School, was born in Napier, and is a daughter of the late Dr. Spencer, F.R.S., M.R.O.S., a scientist and physician who practised for some years in Napier. She entered the school as a pupil at its foundation in the year 1884, and matriculated in 1889. She graduated B.A. in 1895, and was immediately appointed to the teaching staff of the Girls' High School. In 1897 she became first assistant, and three years later succeeded Miss R. M. Matthews, LL.A., as principal.
Miss A. E. J. Spencer.