Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 25. — Proclamation by His Excellency Captain William Hobson, Governor and Commander-in-Chief in and over the Colony of New Zealand and its Dependencies

No. 25.
Proclamation by His Excellency Captain William Hobson, Governor and Commander-in-Chief in and over the Colony of New Zealand and its Dependencies.

Whereas Her Majesty has been pleased, by Letters Patent under the Great Seal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, bearing date the 16th day of November, in the year of our Lord 1840, to erect the Islands of New Zealand into a separate territory by the name of Her Majesty's Colony of New Zealand: Now therefore, I, the Governor and Commander-in-Chief, by Commission under the Great Seal appointed, do hereby notify and proclaim, that, under Her Majesty's said Letters Patent, the Islands of New Zealand are henceforth to be designated and known as Her Majesty's Colony of New Zealand and its Dependencies. And I do hereby further notify and proclaim, that, Her Majesty has been pleased to direct that the three principal islands of New Zealand, heretofore known as or commonly called the Northern Island, the Middle Island, and Stewart's Island, shall hence-forward be designated and known respectively as New Ulster, New Munster, and New Leinster, of which all Her Majesty's subjects are hereby required to take notice.

Given under my hand and seal, at Government House, Auckland, this 3rd day of May, in the fourth year of Her Majesty's reign, and in the year of our Lord 1841.

William Hobson,
Governor.

By His Excellency's command.

Willoughby Shortland.