Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 27. — Mr. Vernon Smith to Mr. Somes

No. 27.
Mr. Vernon Smith to Mr. Somes.

Downing Street, 29th October, 1840.

Sir,—

I am directed by Lord John Russell to acquaint you that he has had under his consideration your letter of the 22nd instant, written on behalf of the gentlemen who have been associated under the name of "The New Zealand Company," in which you inquire in what light the Government intend to regard the rights which have been acquired by the Company, and on what terms the Government would be disposed to sanction their corporate existence, to determine their present claim, and to regulate their future operations.

In consequence of Lord John Russell's absence from town it has been impossible, at this period, to return a definite answer to your inquiry; but I am instructed by his Lordship to state, that in a few days the draft of an arrangement will be transmitted to you, and that his Lordship cannot anticipate that there will be any conditions to which the Company will entertain any serious objections.

I have, &c.,

R. Vernon Smith.

Joseph Somes, Esq.