Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 4. — Major Richmond to Sir George Grey

No. 4.
Major Richmond to Sir George Grey.

Nelson, 27th March, 1849.

My dear Sir,—

In compliance with your Excellency's instructions, I proceeded the latter end of last month to the Waitohi, accompanied by the Resident Company's Agent, to carry out the detail relative to the purchase of that district, and am happy to say that the Natives so well understand the arrangements your Excellency has entered into with them, that I was able, without any difficulty, to accomplish them to their entire satisfaction, and the cordial concurrence of the Resident Company's Agent. The chief Ropoama was appointed by the tribe to settle with me the particulars specified in the memorandum of sale, and they were so pleased with the arrangements that they came in the evening to the house I occupied, and willingly, without one exception, affixed their signatures to a document I had prepared expressive of their satisfaction at the sufficiency of the reserve, and acknowledgment of the boundaries therein detailed.

The spot selected for the village is on a dry fern slope, at the junction of the stream which runs through the reserve with the waters of the Sound in Waikawa Bay; and the land for their cultivations will be laid out immediately behind. Natural boundaries have been selected which comprise between 300 and 400 acres of level ground, of which about 200 are available for cultivation. There is a considerable extent of forest land, and some unfit for culture, which the Natives requested to have for the pasture of their cattle, so that they should not trespass on the settlers' land. This will all be given in a plan which Mr. Jollie has directed to be made, and for which I am waiting before I forward an official despatch; but as the Government brig has touched here on its route to Auckland, I thought it would be satisfactory to your Excellency to have these few hurried lines, making you aware of the result of my visit, and that nothing exists to retard the progress of that town and district. I hope to have the plan to enable me to send the several documents by the "Undine," which is expected here shortly.

I have, &c.,
M. Richmond.

His Excellency Sir George Grey.