Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 8. — The Assistant Under Secretary to Mr. Alexander Mackay

No. 8.
The Assistant Under Secretary to Mr. Alexander Mackay.

Native Office, Wellington, 4th May, 1870.

Sir,—

I have the honor, by direction of Mr. Gisborne, to acknowledge the receipt of your letter No. 115, of 24th March, transmitting a conveyance of sections 5, 6, and 160, at Motupipi, from the College Governors at Nelson to Her Majesty the Queen, in order that the said land may be vested in certain Natives residing at Motupipi; also original correspondence on the subject.

In reply, I am to state that your proposal to obtain the assent of the Natives owning Reserves I, J, and K, to bring these lands under the operation of "The Native Reserves Act, 1856," is approved, page 339and you are authorized to get the survey of the land made as suggested; the sections obtained from the College should then be subdivided, appropriated, and granted to individual Natives, under restrictions, and under the provisions of "The Crown Grants Act, 1862."

You are requested to ascertain very carefully and accurately the names, ages, and conditions of the individuals who at the time were to participate in the gift from the Crown,—if females, whether they were married; also whether any, and if so which, have died, and who are their representatives. It should also be stated whether it was the intention of the Crown to grant the land to the Natives without restriction or alienation, or whether it was simply for themselves to cultivate or to have rights of ownership.

I have &c.,

H. Halse, Assistant Under Secretary.
Alexander Mackay, Esq., Native Commissioner, Nelson.