Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 24. — Copy of a despatch from Earl Grey, to Governor Grey

page 284

No. 24.
Copy of a despatch from Earl Grey, to Governor Grey.

Downing-street, October 16th, 1849.

Sir,—

1.I have received your despatch, No 33, of the 22nd of March last, submitting for the consideration of Her Majesty's Government a proposal that reserves of land should be made for the support of Native schools, established under "The Education Ordinance, No. 10, of 1847."
2.It appears that, with a view of rendering those establishments, the principal of which is industrial, capable of supporting themselves eventually, you have reserved portions of land in the vicinity of each, which you propose should be allotted to them for the purpose of enabling the scholars to raise their own food, and to acquire improved modes by agriculture. You propose to allow each religious denomination, at any time within 10 years, to purchase these lands at the upset price of £1 an acre, as the value which the lands, so improved by cultivation, will have obtained; it being at the same time made a condition of those grants, that the land should not be alienated from the institution by which they are occupied, but that they should be conveyed for the sole purpose of being used for the support of the peculiar institution.
3.Attaching, as I do, great importance to the successful development of such a plan, I do not hesitate to sanction the arrangement which you propose, and I should further be prepared to approve of your granting still more favourable terms, if you should think proper, to such schools, either by allowing the purchase to be made at a lower price than £1, or even by allotting the lands to the schools gratuitously, provided due security could be taken for their proper use. It may, however, be a reason against choosing this last course, that one of the best securities for the improvement of the land occupied by those institutions, may be derived from their being aware that they will eventually have a moderate price to pay for it.

I have, &c.,

Grey.

Governor Grey.