Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 26. — Copy of a despatch from Earl Grey, to Governor Sir George Grey

No. 26.
Copy of a despatch from Earl Grey, to Governor Sir George Grey.

Downing-street, August 3rd, 1851.

Sir,

I have received your despatch, No. 16, of the 29th January last, on the subject of the establishment of industrial schools for the civilization of the Native race in New Zealand, and representing the benefits likely to arise from these institutions, not only to the inhabitants of New Zealand, but also to the Natives of the other Islands in the Pacific, from the measures now in progress.

The principle of the scheme appears to me to be salutary and politic, and I have to express my entire approval of it, as well as of the general sufficiency of the instrument by which you propose to convey the lands set apart for the maintenance of the schools.

I have, however, had my attention called by the Church Missionary Society to one point in connection with this arrangement, on which it appears to me that some modification would be desirable. I enclose for your information a copy of a letter which I have received from that Society upon the subject. They object, and not unnaturally, to that provision of "The Education Ordinance page 286of the 7th October, 1847," by which all the schools, which are already, or which may be hereafter established under the superintendence and management of the Society's Missionaries, and which may receive Government grants, would be placed under the Bishop of New Zealand, who would have the power of appointing and removing teachers at his pleasure.

I should wish you to bring the subject under the consideration of the Legislative Council, expressing my opinion that the Society's objections to the Ordinance as it at present stands, are not unreasonable, and my hope that it may be amended in such a manner, as to remove any obstacle to the continuance of the valuable assistance given by the Society in promoting the education of the Natives of New Zealand.

I have, &c.,

Grey.

Governor Sir George Grey, &c., &c.