Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

Copy of a letter from District Surveyor, Okarito, Westland, to Alexander Mackay, Native — Commissioner, Nelson, concerning certain alterations made in the area of some of the Native — Reserves in that district

Copy of a letter from District Surveyor, Okarito, Westland, to Alexander Mackay, Native
Commissioner, Nelson, concerning certain alterations made in the area of some of the Native
Reserves in that district.

Survey Office, Okarito,April 29th, 1867.

Sir,—

I have the honour to forward herewith tracings of the survey of Native reserves from Bruce Bay to the Poherua River.

It being impossible to say at present through which part of the reserves it may be necessary to construct roads hereafter, I have adopted the plan of deducting from the total area a certain per centage for that purpose, comprising the usual reserves along river banks, and a fair allowance for cross roads.

In the tabulation of areas enclosed, you will observe that I have omitted reserve No. 21 altogether, as the narrow strip between the sea and Waitangi Roto, averaged little more than five chains in width; it is the only piece of ground available for roads, railways, or tramways, and according to instructions from the Chief Surveyor, five chains from high water mark is to be reserved along the whole coast. For the same reason, I have made a deduction for roads of about 18 acres in reserve No. 19, near traverse peg eight, as the whole of the available breadth there does not exceed three and a quarter chains. At traverse pegs one and three, the marks put in the ground by Mr. James Mackay were pointed out to me, but not having a chance then of obtaining a speedy reply from the Chief Surveyor, I adhered to my original instructions of laying off the reserves according to Mr. James Mackay's tracings, though I felt confident at the time that a greater part of this land would be required for public purposes.

To make up for the loss of area in reserve No. 21, I have enlarged reserve No. 20, and also No. 23, to make up for the loss in reserve No. 19.

The total area, 1910 acres 2 roods and 8 perches, shows a surplus of 69 acres 2 roods and 8 perches over the area contained in the schedule of Native reserves originally furnished to me.

I have forwarded tracings of the reserves and all particulars to Mr. Malcolm Fraser, the gentleman in charge of the Westland Survey Department.

I have, &c.,
Gerhard Mueller,
District Surveyor.