Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 6. — The Chief Land Purchase Commissioner, to Mr. James Mackay, Junr

No. 6.
The Chief Land Purchase Commissioner, to Mr. James Mackay, Junr.

Napier, May 25th, 1859.

Sir,—

I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your letter dated Christchurch, 19th April, 1859, stating that you had extinguished the claims of the Ngaitahu Natives of Kaikoura and Kaiapoi to the lands to the northward of the Hurunui, for a sum of £300.

I observe from your report that you have had considerable difficulty in inducing the Natives to accept of a smaller amount.

Considering the difficulties you have been exposed to, and the necessity for finally settling the question, I shall take an early opportunity of bringing your proceedings on this matter under the consideration of the Government for approval.

I regret that in consequence of my absence from Auckland your communications have remained so long unanswered.

I have at the same time to acknowledge the receipt of your correspondence with the Sub-Treasurer at Lytttelton, together with your letter of the 22nd April, upon the subject of a reserve which you recommended should be purchased for the Natives.

With reference to the sum of £20 advanced to you by the Sub-Treasurer in excess of the £80 which he was authorized to pay, I have recommended that he should be credited with the amount.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

James Mackay, Junr., Esq., &c., &c., &c., Christchurch.
page 38