Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Letter from W. W. Bampton to Governor Philip Gidley King, January 19, 1796

Snow Fancy, off Norfolk Island,
19th January, 1796.

Dear Sir,—

“I beg leave to acquaint you that I sailed from Port Jackson in the Endeavour, with the Fancy, on the 19th of September last; but, having unfortunately suffered the disaster of the Endeavour's being shipwrecked, and having now only a few days' provisions of rice alone to subsist upon, and that at half allowance, under such unfortunate circumstances, I have taken the liberty of requesting your humane assistance for such necessary supplies as I stand in need of, and his Majesty's store will admit, to enable me to return to India.

“I likewise beg leave to inform you that I have between twenty-five and thirty people who secreted themselves on board the Endeavour (unknown to me or any of the officers), whose time of transportation is not yet expired. I therefore hope, sir, you will be so kind as to send boats and a guard to take them on shore; as likewise a number of others whom I permitted, by leave of his Excellency Governor Hunter to take a passage to India, but from my unfortunate situation cannot take them any further.

“For further particulars, I beg leave to refer you to Captain Dell, who will give you every information of our circumstances, and wait with pleasure.

“With my best respects to Mrs. King.”

I have, &c.,

W. W. Bampton

page 117