Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Papers Relative to the Native Meeting Held at Peria, in October, 1862

Translation

Translation.

Te Hokioi which is flying towards you.

Ngaruawahia, Nov. 10th, 1862.

The speeches of the meeting at Peria, by Wiremu Tamehana te Waharoa; chiefs from distant places also attended; on the 21st Oct., 1862, the talking began.

Wiremu Tamehana got up and said, This is why I have called you to attend; It is enough for me to make (or establish) the king, and now, it is for you, for all the chiefs of this assembly, to consider the words that (I am) going to utter, It is life and death, that is the road at Mangatawhire, and Whaingaroa, whether it shall be open or closed. These things are for you to settle.

Hohaia stood up and said: I am of the Ngatiawa, of Whakatane. My word is, let it be enquired into, and if it is seen why it should be open, then let it be open, but if it is seen that it should be closed, then let it be closed.

Eparima then got up and said: I am of the Ngatiporou of Waiapu: I am the voice of the five thousand (5000); I will not approve of the road being open, or that it should cross Mangatawhiri or Whaingaroa. If the entrails were taken out of a man he would die; and therefore if the road is open through this Island, it will die; now let it be closed.

Hoer ate Titaha then got up and said: I am of the Ngatiporou, at Wharekahika; I am one who is within the twelve boundaries (i.e. the representative of twelve Hapus), and who does not approve that any roads should be open in this, because there is evil (mate) in it; now let it be closed.

Hemi, of the Ngatimahanga, then stood up. I came to see the sun of Tawauwau; it was Wiremu's letter that brought me here to see the sun of Tawauwau. Why have men opposed my road? That piece is mine, and it is not right (for anyone) to oppose (or close) my road.

Wiremu Tamehana te Waharoa, stood up and said: It was I that summoned you because I hought, lest the sun should shine needlessly beyond Tawauwau, that word is a proverb, "The evil first, and Tawauwau afterwards." Therefore it was said in olden times, "The sun shines uselessly beyond Tawauwau (when) man has disappered." But now, O sons, cease in persisting in the making of the road; Remember your people because the Pakeha is your friend, for I have seen the newspaper which says, there is five hundred pounds of money, four shillings a day, Therefore I thought, there was evil (mate) in that which you and your pakeha friends are persisting in. I( am fearful lest the big guns should be brought upon that road, for it is near to Ngaruawahia; that is why I am cautious. It is proper (tika) also for the Governor to be thoughtful (tupato) in prohibitingn the sale of fire-arms and ammunition, lest the Maoris turn round and kill him. I also am suspicious of the road lest it should turn upon me and kill me. For what man is there that will not guard his own person. It is said in Scripture, "He feedeth and cherisheth his own flesh."

Kereopa te Rau, of Ngatiwhahae Rotorua, then stood up, Do not eat the Karaka while it is warm, lest you becomem delirious but take it and steep it in water, then eat it (for then it will be pleasant.) Do not also drink the Tutu while it is fresh; let it stand awhile, then drink, and it will be pleasandt. Therefore if a person hasten to consent to the road, then there will be trouble for us, but rather, O people, let all the roads be closed.

Te Reweti Manotini, of the Ngatiterangi, at Tauranga, stood up and said: In this there is evil for us. I know in my mind that the water will come down that river if it was cleared, therefore, I say, let it be closed.

Wiremu Haumeu of the Ngatiraukawa, of Patetere, then got up and said: Let Mangatawhiri and Whaingaroa be closed, for there will be evil in it, if the road is allowed, It must be closed.

Matiu Wahapurua, of the Ngatimaru, at Hauraki, stood up and said: I do not approve of the backbone of my ancestors, the land, being cut. I now therefore say that Mangatawhiri and Whaingaroa be closed.

Ngairo of Kahuhunu at Wairarapa, got up and said: I am from the lips of this fish, Aotearoa; I am fearful of Mangatawhiri and Whaingaroa. Let those be closed.

Paora Kaiwhata of Kahuhunu at Ahuriri, then got up and said: We do not understand the rights of Mangatawhiri, or to whom it belongs, whether it belongs to the Maorisi or to the Pakehas; page 15it is for you, O Waikato, to tell us, that we may know, so that we may close the road together. Tell us also the particulars relating to Whaingaroa.

Herewini Te Whahaete then got up and said: (with reference) to the road from Whaingaroa to Waipa. It is a whole piece (papatupu—unsold and of purely native title). At the creek of Waitetuna is the pakeha's boundary. At one side of the river and on to Waipa is native land, enough on that, hearken, Mangatawhiri, Te Koheroa, and Meremere are situated abovo Te Ia. These peiees were sold secretly. We did not see the taking of the money for these piaces. We did not approve of that had work; our opposition was from the beginning and up to this present day. In the year 1854, a Pakeha named Johnson, came to survey with some of the Manukau chiefs; now, when the chiefe of Waikato heard that a Pakeha had come to survey Meremere, Te Koheroa, and inland of Mangatawhiri river, they said " Let us go and send him away, for it is right to keep the land for (our) descend-ants that may come after us, because food proceeds from the land, as with man, for he proceeds from woman; this is perfeetly right." They then went to send away that Pakeha, and said, "My friend, the lands that were sold secretly, by receiving the deposit-money, will not be given up. Let Mangatawhiri be the boundary for you, for the Pakeha. We the men of this place do not approve of that work of selling (our lands). You have consumed that extensive country, and yet you come here buyine more. It is not right.

Karaitiana of Kahuhunu, at Ahuriri, got up and said: The lands of the Queen are like that, they are situated within the boundaries of the King's. It is land that is not clear. Now we know the particulars of Mangatawhiri and Whaingaroa. Let those roads be closed.

Wirihana of Ngatikahuhunu, at Ahuriri, got up and said: Mangatawhiri is like some of the pieces of our place. He then said to his people: " My friends, thia is a runanga to enquire into words; do not detain it. This is my proposal: Let it be as the majority may say."

Harawira of Ngaiterangi, at Moturoa, a part of Tauranga, said: Now that the road is closed by us, this talk (determination) will only fail through Waikato.

Hohaia of Whakatane stood up and said: Hearken, O ye tribes; God made me and also the land for me. Our ancestors (or grandfathers) left our friends those piaces some time ago, Land still they have followed. and are troubling us; but now, O people, let the road be closed.

Perenara, of the Ngatiawa at Te Awa-o-te Atua, stood up and said: This is my word, let the road be closed.

Te Hira, of the Ngatihau at Whanganui, stood up and said: I am one of Han. I came to bring the word (uttered by) five hundred (500) men, that the road must be closed.

Wiremu Toetoe of Waikato then stood up and said: Hearken, all ye tribes that are assembled here. I was the worst of men during Potatau's reign; but now I have been to other piaces, and I have seen those kings that are living in that great country (Europe). I saw that the mana of one king did not extend over another king. I then thought, surely, the (my) tribe were right in establishing a king for themselves. Wberefore, I say, let the road be closed.

Wiremu Te Waharoa stood up and said: That is settled. Hearken, O assembly, here are three subjects for consideration that I am now going to propose. (That is) the subject of Leasing; whether (we shall) allow leasing or not. The Credit system; whether credit should be allowed or not. The old debts must be settled. The Pakehas that are living within the boundary of the Maories, shall they be sent away or not ? These things are for your consideration.

The whole of the people were divided; each tribe was separated one from the other. Their opinions were the same, it was written on paper; each one of the tribes (wroto his opinion).

These are the results.

1st. To protect the Pakehas living within our boundaries; that is, those good Pakehas; those that have a bad tendency must be sent away.

2nd. The Leasing. It will not do to lease now, because this is a troublesome period.

3rd Debts to be cleared off (paid).

4th, Credit to cease.

5th. Dispntes about land must be settled by a Court.

On the 27th of October, 1862, the King arose and said: Welcome, O men, from the East, from the North, from the West, and from the South, welcome to Waikato. We are a noble people, even from olden times. Éven now, although our skin is dark, let the mind of the directors be clear. Hold fast to the law, to love, and to Christianity.

Bishop Selwyn then got up and said: Salutations to you, O Matutaera, the chief of Waikato. This is mine, let there be one law, the Queen's; let there be one mana, God's. Do not have two laws or there will be confusion. Wiremu Tamehana, give Waitara to be investigated, and also Tataraimaka, that my widows may return to their piaces. It is for you and Matutaera to consent do not consider any other (subject). If Tataraimaka is kept back, I and my widows will return to (England) and leave this for a land of trouble.

Kereopa of Rotorua got up and said: Hearken, O assembly, this is my opinion, at the com-meneement only should the investigation have taken place for Waitara; but now it cannot be. For it is like a bushel of wheat spilt on the ground—who is to gather it up and make it agree With lts former weight?

Hoera of Ngatiporou at Waiapu got up and said: It will never do for the mana of the Queen to extend over the mana of King Matutaera. For a horse cannot be paired with a bullock This is my opinion about Waitara, why was it not investigated in the beginning when it was clear? Behold! A needle or any small trifie is investigated if stolen; but Waitara, this large thing. was left until blood brought it forward.

Tamehana Te Waharoa stood up and said: O Bishop, if Waitara was investigated, what of the King? You say it is there alone that the evil is. In my opinion the King is the greatest page 16matter. At the time of the fighting at Waitara your letters came to me which said " O Wi, go and make peace, there is nothing in the King," therefore I went to make peace, and on my return you again said " O Wi, pull down that thing." I then thought I was being deceived, for who is able to mind the many tricks of the Governor, who is bothering me and (the people of) this Island? I am quite wearied, and who is to guard against this thing and that thing ?