Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Correspondence Relative to the Manawatu Block

[Translation.]

[Translation.]

6th June, 1866.

To Mr. FitzGerald,—

I have now only seen for the first time the words of Tamihana te Rauparaha in the newspaper, which say that I have been to ask Dr. Featherston for money for Rangitikei. This word of Tamihana's is utterly false. That is another piece of land altogether. The name of it is Eketahuna, situated at Ruamahanga, near to Wairarapa. The seller of that land is Te Peti. This was the land I spoke about to Dr. Featherston. That land is not near to Rangitikei, it is distant perhaps 100 miles from Rangitikei. This is how the word of Tamihana was wrong. At the time he sold Mana, did he say the money (in payment) was for Kapiti? When he sold the Island of Ngaitahu, did he say he received that money for this Island? Manawatu is twelve miles distant from Rangitikei. When he sold Manawatu, Rangitikei did not go. The lying of Tamihana must cease this day. Will not lying be punished? These words of Tamihana's proceed because he is jealous of the people who have farms, and rented land in Manawatu. He thinks to have it sold, so that all may be like him, who owns not an acre in Rangitikei. That is all.

Henere te Herekau.

(Print this in the Maori language.)