Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on Petition of Timoti Ropitini]

Report on Petition of Timoti Ropitini.

This is a petition from a half-caste of Akaroa, who alleges that he is entitled to 50 acres of land sold by the Natives to Europeans, but which had been long previously purchased by petitioner's father. He prays that the 50 acres in question be returned to them.

I am directed to report as follows:—The petitioner having submitted no evidence in support of the allegations of his petition, this Committee caused inquiry to be made on the spot by the Rev. Mr. Stack, but the result of that inquiry has not been in favour of the petitioner.

The Committee cannot, therefore, recommend his prayer to the favourable consideration of the House.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

24th October, 1876.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Timoti Ropitini.

He pukapuka-inoi tenei na tetahi hawhe-kaihe no Akaroa, e ki ana ia e whai tikanga ana ki tetahi whenua e 50 eka te nui i hokona e nga Maori ki nga Pakeha, engari kua hokona i mua noa atu e te papa o te Kai-inoi. E inoi ana ia kia whakahokia ki a ia te 50 eka ra.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—Notemea kahore te Kai-inoi i whakaatu korero mai hei whakakaha i nga kupu o tana pukapuka-inoi i tae atu te kupu a te Komiti kia uiuia nga tikanga e te Taka, minita, ki runga tonu ki te whenua, engari ko te ritenga o taua uiuinga kihai i hapai i te Kai-inoi.

Koia i kore ai te Komiti e kaha ki te ki atu ki te Whare kia whakaarohia paitia te inoi o te Kai-inoi.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Oketopa 24, 1876.