mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Native School — Mangamaunu — Kaikoura — May 10th 1897

Native School
Mangamaunu
Kaikoura
May 10th 1897

Mr Habens.

Dear Sir,

I reached Mangamaunu Wednesday afternoon (May 5) and opened the School the following morning. The Chairman of the Committee-Pene Tahui-was absent, down the coast, and I did not see him until Friday morning, when he only stayed for a few minutes. Nine children attended the first day, 11 the next and 14 today, (Monday). I expect a few more this week. Several of the Native children have died lately. I found the pupils very backward-the result of the school having been closed so long-but exceedingly willing, and eager to learn.

The articles referred to in appended requisition form are not to hand. Have enquired at the Post Office Kaikoura, and of the Chairman of the School Committee, but can hear nothing of parcel.-Foolscap, official envelopes, and requisition forms required in school.-There is no "summary" nor record of any kind in the school, and I am without reliable reference for ages of children and other particulars concerning them. Trusting that these matters will receive your attention.

I remain, Yours respectfully

Henry Lawson