Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

New Zealand's First Refugees: Pahiatua's Polish Children

A good Kiwi life

page 191

A good Kiwi life

My earliest memories were of a full and comfortable life in Poland with my mother, father, brother and sister. We lived in a good house on a farm with plenty of open space around us. Who would have known that in only a few short years I would be standing on the decks of the USS General Randall in Wellington, New Zealand, holding my brother Bronisław's hand and looking at our new home. A home without parents, family or our Polish language and customs.

This strange country had offered us a place to live but would it turn out to be a home? We were the lucky ones. After four years at the Polish Children's Camp in Pahiatua, we became reunited with our father, now a widower, who had come looking for us at the end of World War II. He was very grateful to the New Zealand Government for the opportunity to work here and raise his family. He was given a job as a blacksmith at the Ruakura Research Farm in Hamilton.

Once settled at work and with good accommodation secured, my father was able to take us out of the camp. But it wasn't just the three of us. He married Helena Nawalaniec who had been with us in the camp and who had five children. Most of them were now independent so she only moved in with her son Jan. Our family continued to grow as another stepbrother, Adolf, came to join us from England. Then my sister Jadwiga, who had been separated from us in Iran and sent to Africa, was also reunited with us. Finally, the last addition to our family was the birth of a sister Danuta.

I attended Marist School in Hamilton, which I found difficult. We only spoke Polish at home and I soon found the biggest barrier to learning was my poor grasp of English. But I enjoyed maths, possibly because numbers are fairly universal and were something that I recognised.

After a couple of years, with the help of our father's friend, I was offered a job in a bakery and left school. The early hours were okay and the tasks manageable, but I learnt quickly that I didn't like working indoors and my health was deteriorating in the bakery environment. So, after two years, I got a job roofing and then worked on building sites with a gang of Polish carpenters. I had found my passion.

I loved building houses and was comfortable in the company of so many other Polish speakers. I continued with my carpentry job during the week and page 192began to build on the weekends for myself. The first of these weekend projects that I finished was a house for my parents. I continued with this extra work and built another three houses.

In 1959 I went to the Hawke's Bay and ended up working with Marian Kępka, an old friend from the camp, and married his sister-in-law Robin Hallgarth in 1961. I worked for Kepka Builders for 3 years and during that time we built a range of houses, from small units to large architecturally designed homesteads.

Robin and I had always intended to visit Poland. However, with family commitments and financial restraints we didn't make that trip until I was 59. I had no idea how I would feel and was quite anxious. I had a great life in New Zealand, taken so many of the opportunities we had been given and all of my family were now New Zealanders.

But when I arrived in Poland, I knew for the first time that I belonged to two countries. The sounds, visions, food and culture overwhelmed me. I was home. We have been back there twice since my retirement, but I strongly believe that New Zealand is where I will happily live for the rest of my life. I am so grateful that a decision was made to let so many young refugees and their families come into this wonderful country. I have had a very good life.

A family reunion. Back: (l-r) Tadeusz Woś, Bronisław Woś, Jan Woś (Nawalaniec), Adolf Nawalaniec Front: (l-r) Danuta Woś, Jadwiga Leszewicz

A family reunion.
Back: (l-r) Tadeusz Woś, Bronisław Woś, Jan Woś (Nawalaniec), Adolf Nawalaniec
Front: (l-r) Danuta Woś, Jadwiga Leszewicz

page I
These were the type of cattle wagons in which the Poles were deported to forced-labour camps throughout the USSR

These were the type of cattle wagons in which the Poles were deported to forced-labour camps throughout the USSR

A group of Polish women in exile in the USSR perform the serious task of measuring the below-subsistence level of bread rations handed out by the authorities. Note the small portions already set aside on the bench, which were often dried and kept as a reserve

A group of Polish women in exile in the USSR perform the serious task of measuring the below-subsistence level of bread rations handed out by the authorities. Note the small portions already set aside on the bench, which were often dried and kept as a reserve

The Zhdanov, overloaded with Polish refugees, took them from Krasnovodsk in the Soviet Union across the Caspian Sea to Pahlevi, Iran, in 1942. Many didn't survive the journey and died on board due to exhaustion, deprivation and disease from the years in Soviet forcedlabour camps

The Zhdanov, overloaded with Polish refugees, took them from Krasnovodsk in the Soviet Union across the Caspian Sea to Pahlevi, Iran, in 1942. Many didn't survive the journey and died on board due to exhaustion, deprivation and disease from the years in Soviet forcedlabour camps

After fleeing from more than two years of freezing cold, hunger and disease in Russia's forced-labour camps, the emaciated Polish children lie exhausted in the Pahlevi (now Bandar-E-Anzali) transit camp in Iran, 1942

After fleeing from more than two years of freezing cold, hunger and disease in Russia's forced-labour camps, the emaciated Polish children lie exhausted in the Pahlevi (now Bandar-E-Anzali) transit camp in Iran, 1942

Waiting to board the Sontay in Khorramshahr, Iran, October 1944

Waiting to board the Sontay in Khorramshahr, Iran, October 1944

The Sontay was a cargo ship which took the Polish refugees on a most uncomfortable journey from Iran to Bombay (now Mumbai), India, in September 1944 on their way to New Zealand

The Sontay was a cargo ship which took the Polish refugees on a most uncomfortable journey from Iran to Bombay (now Mumbai), India, in September 1944 on their way to New Zealand

page II
The USS General Randall normally carried troops between Bombay and San Diego. In October 1944, while carrying New Zealand and Australian soldiers home from the Middle East, it was able to provide transport for 733 children and 102 adult guardians to Wellington, New Zealand. It was finally decommissioned in 1961

The USS General Randall normally carried troops between Bombay and San Diego. In October 1944, while carrying New Zealand and Australian soldiers home from the Middle East, it was able to provide transport for 733 children and 102 adult guardians to Wellington, New Zealand. It was finally decommissioned in 1961

Once more into the unknown. Boys boarding the train on the wharf in Wellington for the final part of the journey to Pahiatua, 1 November 1944

Once more into the unknown. Boys boarding the train on the wharf in Wellington for the final part of the journey to Pahiatua, 1 November 1944

Another welcoming party of New Zealand children wave to the Polish children as they pass by on the train to Pahiatua

Another welcoming party of New Zealand children wave to the Polish children as they pass by on the train to Pahiatua

The New Zealand soldiers returning home from the war on the USS General Randall helped to look after the children on the two-week voyage from Mumbai, India

The New Zealand soldiers returning home from the war on the USS General Randall helped to look after the children on the two-week voyage from Mumbai, India

With their wordly possessions on their backs, the children disembark at Pahiatua Railway Station on 1 November 1944. One of the oldest Polish staff members Bolesław Jankiewicz (middle with hat) helps them along

With their wordly possessions on their backs, the children disembark at Pahiatua Railway Station on 1 November 1944. One of the oldest Polish staff members Bolesław Jankiewicz (middle with hat) helps them along

Station to station. The Polish children on the train to Pahiatua look out the windows as the New Zealand children wave to them

Station to station. The Polish children on the train to Pahiatua look out the windows as the New Zealand children wave to them

page III
The children get helped off the army trucks as they finally arrive at the Polish Children's Camp in Pahiatua, 1 November 1944

The children get helped off the army trucks as they finally arrive at the Polish Children's Camp in Pahiatua, 1 November 1944

The youngest children on their way to the dining room with Stanisława Lewandowska, who was dedicated to looking after them on their journey to New Zealand and at the camp. She was affectionately called the "white mother" because she always wore a white coat and was like a mother to the youngest children

The youngest children on their way to the dining room with Stanisława Lewandowska, who was dedicated to looking after them on their journey to New Zealand and at the camp. She was affectionately called the "white mother" because she always wore a white coat and was like a mother to the youngest children

The new arrivals line up for their first meal at the camp.2nd from left: Rudolf Szymczycha, Ryszard Nowacki, Józef Wnęk

The new arrivals line up for their first meal at the camp.
2nd from left: Rudolf Szymczycha, Ryszard Nowacki, Józef Wnęk

The new arrivals enter the dormitories on their first day in the camp

The new arrivals enter the dormitories on their first day in the camp

The youngest new arrivals in the dining room on their first day in the camp.A soldier (front) helps Bronisław Węgrzyn

The youngest new arrivals in the dining room on their first day in the camp.
A soldier (front) helps Bronisław Węgrzyn

The end of a very long journey. Bedtime for new arrival Henryk Dziura in the camp's dormitory. All the youngest children were treated with the same care on that first day

The end of a very long journey. Bedtime for new arrival Henryk Dziura in the camp's dormitory. All the youngest children were treated with the same care on that first day

page IV
An aerial view of the Polish Children's Camp in Pahiatua, New Zealand, 1945. The camp was located on the site of the old Pahiatua Racecourse A: Main entrance B: Garage C: Teaching staff quarters D: School buildings E: Girls' dormitories F: Camp hospital G: Recreation hall/chapel H: Kitchen/dining hall I: Boys' dormitories J: Soldiers' quarters K: Henhouse L: Grotto M: Rest area/monument (built in 1975) N: Old racetrack O: Old grandstand P: Vegetable garden

An aerial view of the Polish Children's Camp in Pahiatua, New Zealand, 1945. The camp was located on the site of the old Pahiatua Racecourse

• A: Main entrance
  • B: Garage
  • C: Teaching staff quarters
  • D: School buildings
  • E: Girls' dormitories
  • F: Camp hospital
  • G: Recreation hall/chapel
  • H: Kitchen/dining hall
  • I: Boys' dormitories
  • J: Soldiers' quarters
  • K: Henhouse
  • L: Grotto
  • M: Rest area/monument (built in 1975)
  • N: Old racetrack
  • O: Old grandstand
  • P: Vegetable garden

A composite view from the watchtower. Ulica Sikorskiego (Sikorski Street) on the left and ulica Bora-Komorowskiego (Bór-Komorowski Street) on the right, 1945

A composite view from the watchtower. Ulica Sikorskiego (Sikorski Street) on the left and ulica Bora-Komorowskiego (Bór-Komorowski Street) on the right, 1945

page V
A view of the camp with the girls' dormitories in front

A view of the camp with the girls' dormitories in front

An aerial view of the camp with the Mangatainoka River, which is a tributary to the Manawatu River

An aerial view of the camp with the Mangatainoka River, which is a tributary to the Manawatu River

page VI
More than 100 women from various organisations, including Plunket and the Red Cross, made the beds for the arrival of the Polish children to the camp

More than 100 women from various organisations, including Plunket and the Red Cross, made the beds for the arrival of the Polish children to the camp

A scale model of the camp in the Pahiatua Museum which was prepared for the 50th anniversary of the Polish children's arrival

A scale model of the camp in the Pahiatua Museum which was prepared for the 50th anniversary of the Polish children's arrival

June 1999. Stefania (left) and Józef Zawada (right) stand outside the Polish Children's Camp's old gymnasium building, which is now in Naenae College, Lower Hutt. The college was built in the 1950s when the camp's buildings were being sold or relocated

June 1999. Stefania (left) and Józef Zawada (right) stand outside the Polish Children's Camp's old gymnasium building, which is now in Naenae College, Lower Hutt. The college was built in the 1950s when the camp's buildings were being sold or relocated

The field in 2004 where the Polish Children's Camp in Pahiatua once stood

The field in 2004 where the Polish Children's Camp in Pahiatua once stood

May 1997. Inside the kitchen at Kopua Monastery, Hawke's Bay, which was once one of the buildings at the camp.(l-r) Stefania Zawada, Józef Zawada, a Kopua Monastery monk, Mieczysław Zawada

May 1997. Inside the kitchen at Kopua Monastery, Hawke's Bay, which was once one of the buildings at the camp.
(l-r) Stefania Zawada, Józef Zawada, a Kopua Monastery monk, Mieczysław Zawada

page VII
The portable altar on the recreation hall's stage was a large wardrobe-like cabinet on wheels with folding doors. After Mass it would be shunted aside. It was built in Palmerston North for £27, and eventually ruined by borer and thrown away. Note the Polish traditional Christmas crib on the left

The portable altar on the recreation hall's stage was a large wardrobe-like cabinet on wheels with folding doors. After Mass it would be shunted aside. It was built in Palmerston North for £27, and eventually ruined by borer and thrown away. Note the Polish traditional Christmas crib on the left

The altar in the camp's chapel. The picture of Our Lady was moved to St Joachim's church in Berhampore, Wellington, where it continued to be venerated

The altar in the camp's chapel. The picture of Our Lady was moved to St Joachim's church in Berhampore, Wellington, where it continued to be venerated

The camp's vehicle fleet outside the garage. The fleet was maintained by the New Zealand army personnel

The camp's vehicle fleet outside the garage. The fleet was maintained by the New Zealand army personnel

The grotto was built in 1945 on the camp's northern side by the Polish refugee children who each brought a stone from the nearby Mangatainoka River. It was a focal point for the children. By 1975 it was a ruin, so some of its remaining stones were reused in the plinth of the new memorial statue

The grotto was built in 1945 on the camp's northern side by the Polish refugee children who each brought a stone from the nearby Mangatainoka River. It was a focal point for the children. By 1975 it was a ruin, so some of its remaining stones were reused in the plinth of the new memorial statue

The camp's main assembly hall where concerts and dances were held, important visitors entertained, films screened and Masses celebrated

The camp's main assembly hall where concerts and dances were held, important visitors entertained, films screened and Masses celebrated

page VIII page IX
A group of staff and older girls, some of whom were already employed in the camp (kitchen, laundry, sewing, nursing). Back: (l-r) Olga Sumicz, Stanisława Drozdowska, Janina Krystman, Bronisława Lis, Józefa Wypych, Janina Szałkowska, Maria Mokrzycka, Helena Szymulska Front: (l-r) Aniela Adach, Maria Zazulak, Maria Ambroziewicz, Helena Wenckiewicz, Maria Zielińska, Rozalia Manterys, Stefania Rombel, Zofia Kołodzińska

A group of staff and older girls, some of whom were already employed in the camp (kitchen, laundry, sewing, nursing).
Back: (l-r) Olga Sumicz, Stanisława Drozdowska, Janina Krystman, Bronisława Lis, Józefa Wypych, Janina Szałkowska, Maria Mokrzycka, Helena Szymulska
Front: (l-r) Aniela Adach, Maria Zazulak, Maria Ambroziewicz, Helena Wenckiewicz, Maria Zielińska, Rozalia Manterys, Stefania Rombel, Zofia Kołodzińska

The sewing room made the camp more self sufficient and gave practical experience to the older girls, some of whom would rather have been given the opportunity to study. It operated from November 1944 to January 1946. (l-r) Stefania Nawalaniec, Maria Mokrzycka, Helena Kasprzyk, Krystyna Bojda, Krystyna Manterys, Zofia Kornobis, Regina Kupis, Józefa Wypych, Wiktoria Wypych, Helena Kraczko (front)

The sewing room made the camp more self sufficient and gave practical experience to the older girls, some of whom would rather have been given the opportunity to study. It operated from November 1944 to January 1946. (l-r) Stefania Nawalaniec, Maria Mokrzycka,
Helena Kasprzyk, Krystyna Bojda, Krystyna Manterys, Zofia Kornobis, Regina Kupis, Józefa Wypych, Wiktoria Wypych, Helena Kraczko (front)

page X page XI
A group of girls perform their chores at the camp

A group of girls perform their chores at the camp

page XII page XIII
Lunch on a Sunday in the Polish Children's Camp's dining room No 2, 1948

Lunch on a Sunday in the Polish Children's Camp's dining room No 2, 1948

page XIV page XV
Healthy and happy, the Polish children play in the warm Pahiatua sun

Healthy and happy, the Polish children play in the warm Pahiatua sun

page XVI
The Polish Girls' Hostel "Ngaroma" in Lyall Bay, Wellington, 1950. It became a focal meeting place for the Polish boys and girls as they grew up. Many marriages resulted from this

The Polish Girls' Hostel "Ngaroma" in Lyall Bay, Wellington, 1950. It became a focal meeting place for the Polish boys and girls as they grew up. Many marriages resulted from this

Polish girls in Sacred Heart Girls' College, New Plymouth, 1946. Back: (l-r) Emilia Chumko, Stanisława Domańska Front: (l-r) Regina Zielińska, Helena Kornobis, Adela Jasionowicz, Helena Pietkiewicz, Aniela Markowska

Polish girls in Sacred Heart Girls' College, New Plymouth, 1946.
Back: (l-r) Emilia Chumko, Stanisława Domańska
Front: (l-r) Regina Zielińska, Helena Kornobis, Adela Jasionowicz, Helena Pietkiewicz, Aniela Markowska

page XVII page XVIII
Scouts and Girl Guides await the arrival of Lady Baden-Powell, wife of the founder of Boy Scouts. John Thomson (centre)

Scouts and Girl Guides await the arrival of Lady Baden-Powell, wife of the founder of Boy Scouts. John Thomson (centre)

Girl Guides enjoy a picnic in the woods. Walentyna Zyza (left front), Janina Wasiukiewicz (2nd from left front), Irena Wierzbicka (bottom middle), Jadwiga Adamczyk (standing back of right-hand group), Irena Szczepańska (front right, facing camera)

Girl Guides enjoy a picnic in the woods. Walentyna Zyza (left front), Janina Wasiukiewicz (2nd from left front), Irena Wierzbicka (bottom middle), Jadwiga Adamczyk (standing back of right-hand group), Irena Szczepańska (front right, facing camera)

Girl Guides on parade. Mrs Stefania Kozera (Scout leader, middle), Janina Kozera (in Polish costume)

Girl Guides on parade. Mrs Stefania Kozera (Scout leader, middle), Janina Kozera (in Polish costume)

Lady Baden-Powell inspects the Girl Guides. Far right: Captain Forsyth and to his left Franciszek Bała

Lady Baden-Powell inspects the Girl Guides. Far right: Captain Forsyth and to his left Franciszek Bała

The standard of the Polish Scouts of New Zealand, donated by Scout leader Stefania Kozera (with long skirt). The flag says: "Związek Harcerstwa Polskiego, Hufiec Nowo Zelandzki w Pahiatua" (Association of Polish Scouts, New Zealand Troop, Pahiatua)

The standard of the Polish Scouts of New Zealand, donated by Scout leader Stefania Kozera (with long skirt). The flag says: "Związek Harcerstwa Polskiego, Hufiec Nowo Zelandzki w Pahiatua" (Association of Polish Scouts, New Zealand Troop, Pahiatua)

page XIX
Polish girls at Teschemakers College, Oamaru, 1947.(l-r) Teresa Wiszowata, Helena Więcek, Janina Niedźwiecka, Bożena Terlecka, Lidia Koncewicz, Irena Krystman

Polish girls at Teschemakers College, Oamaru, 1947.
(l-r) Teresa Wiszowata, Helena Więcek, Janina Niedźwiecka, Bożena Terlecka, Lidia Koncewicz, Irena Krystman

Trepidation and expectation. One of the first groups of girls to leave the camp, 6 February 1946.(l-r) Wiktoria Wypych, Rozalia Manterys, Maria Węgrzyn, Zofia Kornobis, Janina Krystman (kneeling), Maria Zazulak, Maria Wojciechowska

Trepidation and expectation. One of the first groups of girls to leave the camp, 6 February 1946.
(l-r) Wiktoria Wypych, Rozalia Manterys, Maria Węgrzyn, Zofia Kornobis, Janina Krystman (kneeling), Maria Zazulak, Maria Wojciechowska

page XX
The National Film Unit films the krakowiak – a regional dance from southern Poland. Stefania Kozera (second left) is directing

The National Film Unit films the krakowiak – a regional dance from southern Poland. Stefania Kozera (second left) is directing

Polish girls in national costume at a garden party in Palmerston North

Polish girls in national costume at a garden party in Palmerston North

The play Krakowskie Wesele (Kraków Wedding) staged in the camp to a large audience of the Pahiatua public. The dresses were made in the camp's sewing room. Camp Commandant Major Finny said the play was intended to express the Poles' appreciation for the many kindnesses shown to them by the locals

The play Krakowskie Wesele (Kraków Wedding) staged in the camp to a large audience of the Pahiatua public. The dresses were made in the camp's sewing room. Camp Commandant Major Finny said the play was intended to express the Poles' appreciation for the many kindnesses shown to them by the locals

At one of the first weddings in the camp – the groom (a returned serviceman) with attendants. (l-r) Wiktoria Dajnowska, Maria Woźniak, Zofia Portas, Walerian Świerczyński, Halina Woźniak, Janina Dajnowska, Czesława Bełczącka

At one of the first weddings in the camp – the groom (a returned serviceman) with attendants. (l-r) Wiktoria Dajnowska, Maria Woźniak, Zofia Portas, Walerian Świerczyński, Halina Woźniak, Janina Dajnowska, Czesława Bełczącka

page XXI
A group of the younger boys stare as a gardener cuts the grass with a lawnmower — a new and exciting contraption they'd never seen before

A group of the younger boys stare as a gardener cuts the grass with a lawnmower — a new and exciting contraption they'd never seen before

Having fun with a scooter at the camp.(l-r) Maria Pytlos, Marek Powierza and Tadeusz Tietze

Having fun with a scooter at the camp.
(l-r) Maria Pytlos, Marek Powierza and Tadeusz Tietze

The first funeral at the Polish Children's Camp for Tadeusz Ostrowski who died on 22 March 1945 and was buried in Pahiatua

The first funeral at the Polish Children's Camp for Tadeusz Ostrowski who died on 22 March 1945 and was buried in Pahiatua

Kindergarten children in the camp's pool

Kindergarten children in the camp's pool

The youngest children test drive the new seesaw built by the New Zealand soldiers (back left)

The youngest children test drive the new seesaw built by the New Zealand soldiers (back left)

page XXII page XXIII page XXIV page XXV
At the entrance to Block C, bedrooms C1 and C2, during the Christmas holidays at the camp, 1948-49.(l-r) Jan Kania, Michał Zagwojski, Bolesław Żygadło, Józef Zawada, Jan Dawiec

At the entrance to Block C, bedrooms C1 and C2, during the Christmas holidays at the camp, 1948-49.
(l-r) Jan Kania, Michał Zagwojski, Bolesław Żygadło, Józef Zawada, Jan Dawiec

The lawn brigade outside the school staff building. (l-r) Tatiana Olechnowicz (seated), Czesław Bełczęcki, Ryszard Sierpiński, Ryszard Nowacki, Witold Dziegieć

The lawn brigade outside the school staff building. (l-r) Tatiana Olechnowicz (seated), Czesław Bełczęcki, Ryszard Sierpiński, Ryszard Nowacki, Witold Dziegieć

(l-r) Polikarp Kilczewski, Witold Domański, Władysław Miliszewski, Leon Sondej.Photo taken by Camp Commandant Major Foxley, December 1945

(l-r) Polikarp Kilczewski, Witold Domański, Władysław Miliszewski, Leon Sondej.
Photo taken by Camp Commandant Major Foxley, December 1945

page XXVI page XXVII page XXVIII page XXIX
The Polish Scout troop leader in New Zealand and Polish Cub leaders. The Poles include: Back: (l-r) Aleksander Bednarski (2nd), Mikołaj Gliński (4th), Tadeusz Mazur (5th), Zdzisław Kaczorowski (9th) Middle: (l-r) Bogusława Gradzik (1st), Polish Scout troop leader Stefania Kozera (6th), Wiktoria Tabisz (7th), Zofia Surynt (8th) Front: Eugeniusz Szadkowski (4th)

The Polish Scout troop leader in New Zealand and Polish Cub leaders. The Poles include:
Back: (l-r) Aleksander Bednarski (2nd), Mikołaj Gliński (4th), Tadeusz Mazur (5th), Zdzisław Kaczorowski (9th)
Middle: (l-r) Bogusława Gradzik (1st), Polish Scout troop leader Stefania Kozera (6th), Wiktoria Tabisz (7th), Zofia Surynt (8th)
Front: Eugeniusz Szadkowski (4th)

Antoni Kozłowski leads the march at the camp to Sunday Mass

Antoni Kozłowski leads the march at the camp to Sunday Mass

page XXX
A dishwashing brigade at the camp's kitchen No 1

A dishwashing brigade at the camp's kitchen No 1

The youngest Polish children from the camp temporarily attended Marist Primary School, Palmerston North, and lived in the Linton Military Camp before relocating to the Hawera Polish Boys' Hostel for the final term of the school year, 1949. Back: (l-r) Marian Sadowski, Krzysztof Dziegieć, Józef Jagiełło, Ludwik Głogowski, Kazimierz Krawczyk, Zdzisław Lepionka, Zdzisław Iwan, Bogusław Turski, Antoni Sarniak, Leon Zyzało, Tadeusz Rozwadowski Middle: (l-r) Jan Makuch, Franciszek Barański, Kazimierz Niedźwiecki, Antoni Rybiński, Brother Egbert, Zbigniew Dziki, Bronisław Gmyterko, Stanisław Zyzało, Bogdan Bocian, Tadeusz Najbert Front: (l-r) Waldemar Dejnakowski, Jerzy Juchnowicz, Tadeusz Jankiewicz, Bronisław Węgrzyn, Lech Dobroński, Kazimierz Zając, Witold Pleciak, Eugeniusz Sarnecki, Henryk Apanowicz

The youngest Polish children from the camp temporarily attended Marist Primary School, Palmerston North, and lived in the Linton Military Camp before relocating to the Hawera Polish Boys' Hostel for the final term of the school year, 1949.
Back: (l-r) Marian Sadowski, Krzysztof Dziegieć, Józef Jagiełło, Ludwik Głogowski, Kazimierz Krawczyk, Zdzisław Lepionka, Zdzisław Iwan, Bogusław Turski, Antoni Sarniak, Leon Zyzało, Tadeusz Rozwadowski
Middle: (l-r) Jan Makuch, Franciszek Barański, Kazimierz Niedźwiecki, Antoni Rybiński, Brother Egbert, Zbigniew Dziki, Bronisław Gmyterko, Stanisław Zyzało, Bogdan Bocian, Tadeusz Najbert
Front: (l-r) Waldemar Dejnakowski, Jerzy Juchnowicz, Tadeusz Jankiewicz, Bronisław Węgrzyn, Lech Dobroński, Kazimierz Zając, Witold Pleciak, Eugeniusz Sarnecki, Henryk Apanowicz

page XXXI
On holiday in Gisborne with members of the Gisborne Red Cross Transport Corps in Waihirere's bush reserve, January 1946

On holiday in Gisborne with members of the Gisborne Red Cross Transport Corps in Waihirere's bush reserve, January 1946

Boys in the camp's vegetable garden when an effort was being made to make it as self sufficient as possible, 1945. (l-r) Stanisław Prędki, Artur Gawlik, Wacław Gołębiowski, Aleksander Basałaj, Kazimierz Depczyński, Mieczysław Sadowski, Edward Dąbrowski, Tadeusz Zioło, Tadeusz Budny

Boys in the camp's vegetable garden when an effort was being made to make it as self sufficient as possible, 1945. (l-r) Stanisław Prędki, Artur Gawlik, Wacław Gołębiowski, Aleksander Basałaj, Kazimierz Depczyński, Mieczysław Sadowski, Edward Dąbrowski, Tadeusz Zioło, Tadeusz Budny

page XXXII
One of the last groups of boys (back row) to leave the Polish Children's Camp briefly attended Mangatainoka School before being transferred to Linton Military Camp. Back: (l-r) Waldemar Dejnakowski, Henryk Apanowicz, Józef Jagiełło, Marian Sadowski, Tadeusz Rozwadowski, Franciszek Barański, Antoni Rybiński, Zbigniew Dziki, Jan Niedźwiecki, Bronisław Gmyterko, Bogdan Bocian, Jan Makuch, Antoni Sarniak, Krzysztof Dziegieć, Ludwik Głogowski, Wojciech Michalik

One of the last groups of boys (back row) to leave the Polish Children's Camp briefly attended Mangatainoka School before being transferred to Linton Military Camp.
Back: (l-r) Waldemar Dejnakowski, Henryk Apanowicz, Józef Jagiełło, Marian Sadowski, Tadeusz Rozwadowski, Franciszek Barański, Antoni Rybiński, Zbigniew Dziki, Jan Niedźwiecki, Bronisław Gmyterko, Bogdan Bocian, Jan Makuch, Antoni Sarniak, Krzysztof Dziegieć, Ludwik Głogowski, Wojciech Michalik

The first wedding at the Polish Children's Camp, 21 May 1945. Back: (l-r) William Jane, Helena Dajnowska, Wally Jane (groom), Maria Wypych (bride), Wiktoria Wypych, Larry Eddie Front: Halina Woźniak (flower girl)

The first wedding at the Polish Children's Camp, 21 May 1945.
Back: (l-r) William Jane, Helena Dajnowska, Wally Jane (groom), Maria Wypych (bride), Wiktoria Wypych, Larry Eddie
Front: Halina Woźniak (flower girl)

In the garden of the Polish Boys' Hostel, Island Bay, 1947. Standing: (l-r) Zdzisław Kaczorowski, Stanisław Wójcik, Father Michał Wilniewczyc, Roman Kołodziński, Paweł Wójcik, Adam Banaś Sitting: (l-r) Wacław Juchnowicz, Jan Dawiec

In the garden of the Polish Boys' Hostel, Island Bay, 1947.
Standing: (l-r) Zdzisław Kaczorowski, Stanisław Wójcik, Father Michał Wilniewczyc, Roman Kołodziński, Paweł Wójcik, Adam Banaś
Sitting: (l-r) Wacław Juchnowicz, Jan Dawiec

page XXXIII
Children in national costume get ready for the arrival of Prime Minister Peter Fraser. "Witamy" means "welcome"

Children in national costume get ready for the arrival of Prime Minister Peter Fraser. "Witamy" means "welcome"

The Prime Minister and his entourage with the children outside one of the camp's buildings

The Prime Minister and his entourage with the children outside one of the camp's buildings

Polish children in costume lead the Prime Minister (back middle, with hat) into the camp

Polish children in costume lead the Prime Minister (back middle, with hat) into the camp

The whole camp welcomes Prime Minister Peter Fraser

The whole camp welcomes Prime Minister Peter Fraser

page XXXIV
The Prime Minister (centre) meets some of the the 733 Polish children he invited to New Zealand. With him is Mrs Fraser and the Polish Delegate Jan Śledziński

The Prime Minister (centre) meets some of the the 733 Polish children he invited to New Zealand. With him is Mrs Fraser and the Polish Delegate Jan Śledziński

The youngest children form a guard of honour as Prime Minister Peter Fraser makes an inspection tour of the camp. He considered the children's wellbeing his personal responsibility.

The youngest children form a guard of honour as Prime Minister Peter Fraser makes an inspection tour of the camp. He considered the children's wellbeing his personal responsibility.

Countess Maria Wodzicka, wife of the Polish Consul to New Zealand, welcomes the Prime Minister and guests

Countess Maria Wodzicka, wife of the Polish Consul to New Zealand, welcomes the Prime Minister and guests

page XXXV
VIPs visiting the camp, February 1947. (l-r) Archbishop O'Shea, Polish Delegate Szczęsny Zaleski, Apostolic Delegate to Australia and New Zealand Archbishop Panico, Prime Minister Peter Fraser

VIPs visiting the camp, February 1947. (l-r) Archbishop O'Shea, Polish Delegate Szczęsny Zaleski, Apostolic Delegate to Australia and New Zealand Archbishop Panico, Prime Minister Peter Fraser

Taking a salute on Poland's national day, 3 May, on the podium beneath the guard tower. Major Finny (in uniform), Stefania Kozera (next right) and Szczęsny Zaleski. The tower is a relic of the camp's original purpose as a detention centre for New Zealand's wartime "aliens"

Taking a salute on Poland's national day, 3 May, on the podium beneath the guard tower. Major Finny (in uniform), Stefania Kozera (next right) and Szczęsny Zaleski. The tower is a relic of the camp's original purpose as a detention centre for New Zealand's wartime "aliens"

Archbishop O'Shea makes an official visit to the camp, 25 January 1945

Archbishop O'Shea makes an official visit to the camp, 25 January 1945

Poland's national day parade (3 May) at the camp led by Piotr Przychodźko. On the rostrum: Major Finny (2nd from left) Szczęsny Zaleski (3rd from left). Note the camp's siren on the building on the right

Poland's national day parade (3 May) at the camp led by Piotr Przychodźko. On the rostrum: Major Finny (2nd from left) Szczęsny Zaleski (3rd from left). Note the camp's siren on the building on the right

page XXXVI
Halcyon days in the prime of their youth. Many of the former Polish children refugees with the ex-Polish army emigres celebrate New Year's Eve 1954 at the Winter Show Buildings in John Street, Wellington

Halcyon days in the prime of their youth. Many of the former Polish children refugees with the ex-Polish army emigres celebrate New Year's Eve 1954 at the Winter Show Buildings in John Street, Wellington

The now adult Polish boys during their motorbike phase on Wellington's picturesque Oriental Parade in the 1950s. Note St Gerard's monastery on the hill. (l-r) Marian (Marek) Kazimierzak, Jan Rogowski, Witold Suchodolski, Czesław Bełczącki

The now adult Polish boys during their motorbike phase on Wellington's picturesque Oriental Parade in the 1950s. Note St Gerard's monastery on the hill. (l-r) Marian (Marek) Kazimierzak, Jan Rogowski, Witold Suchodolski, Czesław Bełczącki

At a dance in St Francis Hall, Hill Street, Wellington, early 1950s. Back: (l-r) Stanisław Skwarko, Józef Zawada, Ryszard Sierpiński, Andrzej Szymanik Front: (l-r) Jan Wojciechowski, Jan Kołodziński, Roman Kraj, Jan Niedźwiecki

At a dance in St Francis Hall, Hill Street, Wellington, early 1950s.
Back: (l-r) Stanisław Skwarko, Józef Zawada, Ryszard Sierpiński, Andrzej Szymanik
Front: (l-r) Jan Wojciechowski, Jan Kołodziński, Roman Kraj, Jan Niedźwiecki

page XXXVII
The Polish Children's Camp hospital was a very important place as the children's health needed attention from their years in exile. Thanks to the staff's devoted care, the children soon recovered. Back: (l-r) Stefania Jasionowicz, Bert Ford, Sister La Hore, Sister Leaming, Elwira Kundycka, Zofia Pantalejew, Weronika Maciejowska Front: (l-r) Zofia Szysz, Sister Johnson, Helena Szymulska, Dr Eugenia Czochańska, Maria Sawicka

The Polish Children's Camp hospital was a very important place as the children's health needed attention from their years in exile. Thanks to the staff's devoted care, the children soon recovered.
Back: (l-r) Stefania Jasionowicz, Bert Ford, Sister La Hore, Sister Leaming, Elwira Kundycka, Zofia Pantalejew, Weronika Maciejowska
Front: (l-r) Zofia Szysz, Sister Johnson, Helena Szymulska, Dr Eugenia Czochańska, Maria Sawicka

Polish domestic staff members. (l-r) Zofia Piotrkowska, Petronela Ostrowska, Zofia Kołodzińska

Polish domestic staff members. (l-r) Zofia Piotrkowska, Petronela Ostrowska, Zofia Kołodzińska

page XXXVIII
Some of the New Zealand personnel, 1947. Back: (l-r) Mary Sergent, Eddie O'Keefe, Frank Muller, Joan Hay, Marion Parker Front: (l-r) Andy Nola, Mary Eising, Bill McPartland

Some of the New Zealand personnel, 1947.
Back: (l-r) Mary Sergent, Eddie O'Keefe, Frank Muller, Joan Hay, Marion Parker
Front: (l-r) Andy Nola, Mary Eising, Bill McPartland

Inside the camp's shoe-repair shop. (l-r) Danuta Czerny-Hołownia, Wojciech Michalik, Sergeant Major Bourne-Webb

Inside the camp's shoe-repair shop. (l-r) Danuta Czerny-Hołownia, Wojciech Michalik, Sergeant Major Bourne-Webb

Camp Commandant Major Finny (left) with the Polish Delegate Szczęsny Zaleski (right)

Camp Commandant Major Finny (left) with the Polish Delegate Szczęsny Zaleski (right)

The camp's ever-smiling hygienist Maria Kasperowicz

The camp's ever-smiling hygienist Maria Kasperowicz

1947. The New Zealand teaching staff at the Polish Children's Camp who gave the children their first formal introduction to the English language, not to mention the fair game of rugby. (l-r) Andy Nola, Alexander Henderson, Mary Sergent, Frank Muller, Joan Hay, Mary Eising, Hugh McKinnon

1947. The New Zealand teaching staff at the Polish Children's Camp who gave the children their first formal introduction to the English language, not to mention the fair game of rugby. (l-r) Andy Nola, Alexander Henderson, Mary Sergent, Frank Muller, Joan Hay, Mary Eising, Hugh McKinnon

page XXXVIX
(l-r) Grzegorz Treder of Konini (born in Carterton, 1897, and descended from earlier Polish settlers, he could still speak some Polish and was very popular with the older people in the camp), Maria Korczak-Bucewicz, Stanisława Danielewska, Olga Sygierycz

(l-r) Grzegorz Treder of Konini (born in Carterton, 1897, and descended from earlier Polish settlers, he could still speak some Polish and was very popular with the older people in the camp), Maria Korczak-Bucewicz, Stanisława Danielewska, Olga Sygierycz

(l-r) Julia Rolińska, Paulina Jania, Janina Dmochowska, Józef Holona, Teresa Dmochowska, Zofia Sprusińska

(l-r) Julia Rolińska, Paulina Jania, Janina Dmochowska, Józef Holona, Teresa Dmochowska, Zofia Sprusińska

Farewelling Father Wilniewczyc on his departure from the camp upon his transfer to the Polish children's refugee settlements in Lebanon, 5 December 1947. (l-r) Zofia Kołodzińska, Zofia Reder, Maria Pietrasińska, Petronela Ostrowska, Weronika Snarska, Stefania Jasionowicz, Salomea Szymczycha, Father Michał Wilniewczyc, Jadwiga Żerebecka, Ludwika Sójka, Helena Białostocka, Stefania Kozera

Farewelling Father Wilniewczyc on his departure from the camp upon his transfer to the Polish children's refugee settlements in Lebanon, 5 December 1947. (l-r) Zofia Kołodzińska, Zofia Reder, Maria Pietrasińska, Petronela Ostrowska, Weronika Snarska, Stefania Jasionowicz, Salomea Szymczycha, Father Michał Wilniewczyc, Jadwiga Żerebecka, Ludwika Sójka, Helena Białostocka, Stefania Kozera

page XL
The New Zealand Women's Auxiliary Army Corps (WAAC) staff at the Polish Children's Camp, 1945. The sign reads "wstęp wzbroniony" (no admittance). Canteen lady Belle Alexander is second from left

The New Zealand Women's Auxiliary Army Corps (WAAC) staff at the Polish Children's Camp, 1945. The sign reads "wstęp wzbroniony" (no admittance). Canteen lady Belle Alexander is second from left

The Polish Children's Camp's Ambulance with some of the New Zealand soldiers who looked after the vehicle fleet

The Polish Children's Camp's Ambulance with some of the New Zealand soldiers who looked after the vehicle fleet

The New Zealand soldiers next to the camp's vehicle fleet. One of the Polish children, Kazimierz Markowski, is 4th from right

The New Zealand soldiers next to the camp's vehicle fleet. One of the Polish children, Kazimierz Markowski, is 4th from right

Noel Jackson, a much-loved soldier, used his camera to record the life of the camp. It is thanks to him that many of the former children have a record of their years there

Noel Jackson, a much-loved soldier, used his camera to record the life of the camp. It is thanks to him that many of the former children have a record of their years there

The New Zealand army staff who initially ran the Polish Children's Camp until most of the day-to-day functions were taken over by the Polish staff

The New Zealand army staff who initially ran the Polish Children's Camp until most of the day-to-day functions were taken over by the Polish staff

page XLI
The Rombel family, 3 May 1946. (l-r) Piotr, Zofia, Stefania, Maria, Helena

The Rombel family, 3 May 1946. (l-r) Piotr, Zofia, Stefania, Maria, Helena

The Nawalaniec family. (l-r) Władysława, Jan, Stefania, Helena (mother), Helena

The Nawalaniec family. (l-r) Władysława, Jan, Stefania, Helena (mother), Helena

The Szczapa sisters during fruitpicking season in Motueka, 1949. (l-r) Janina, Maria, Teresa, Alicja, Jadwiga

The Szczapa sisters during fruitpicking season in Motueka, 1949. (l-r) Janina, Maria, Teresa, Alicja, Jadwiga

The Kotlicki family in one of the camp's staff huts.(l-r) Elżbieta, Mieczysław (junior), Mieczysław (reading the Listener )

The Kotlicki family in one of the camp's staff huts.
(l-r) Elżbieta, Mieczysław (junior), Mieczysław (reading the Listener )

page XLII
The Manterys family, 1945. (l-r) Stefania, Rozalia, Stanisław, Krystyna, Anna

The Manterys family, 1945. (l-r) Stefania, Rozalia, Stanisław, Krystyna, Anna

The Dajnowski family. (l-r) Andrzej (front), Stefan, Maria (seated), Janina (front), Wanda, Wiktoria, Helena

The Dajnowski family. (l-r) Andrzej (front), Stefan, Maria (seated), Janina (front), Wanda, Wiktoria, Helena

The Skiba family. (l-r) Stanisław (father), Maria, Stanisław

The Skiba family. (l-r) Stanisław (father), Maria, Stanisław

The Skwarko family. (l-r) Stanisław (senior), Stanisław, Krystyna (senior), Krystyna

The Skwarko family. (l-r) Stanisław (senior), Stanisław, Krystyna (senior), Krystyna

The Kornobis sisters, 1946. (l-r) Zofia, Janina, Alfreda, Helena, Maria

The Kornobis sisters, 1946. (l-r) Zofia, Janina, Alfreda, Helena, Maria

page XLIII
A group of first-generation Polish New Zealanders with some of the former children refugees dressed in Polish national costumes at Pahiatua's centenary parade in 1981. Standing: (l-r) Stefan Lepionka, Zbyszek Wypych, Tereska Kozera, Piotr Wypych, Ala Manterys, Michał Mendruń, Helena Zawada, Conrad Zawada, Anton Zawada, Stefan Sondej, Adam Manterys, Alinka Przychodźko, Bela Przychodźko, Danusia Choroś Sitting: (l-r) Czesława Markowska (Gazdowicz), Zofia Czochańska, Jadwiga Domańska (Lendnał), Janina Kowalczyk (Niedźwiecka), Teresa Sapińska, Irena Gibbs, Dorota Gibbs, Helena Juchnowicz (Przychodżko), Aniela Gibbs, Maria Wypych (Węgrzyn)

A group of first-generation Polish New Zealanders with some of the former children refugees dressed in Polish national costumes at Pahiatua's centenary parade in 1981.
Standing: (l-r) Stefan Lepionka, Zbyszek Wypych, Tereska Kozera, Piotr Wypych, Ala Manterys, Michał Mendruń, Helena Zawada, Conrad Zawada, Anton Zawada, Stefan Sondej, Adam Manterys, Alinka Przychodźko, Bela Przychodźko, Danusia Choroś
Sitting: (l-r) Czesława Markowska (Gazdowicz), Zofia Czochańska, Jadwiga Domańska (Lendnał), Janina Kowalczyk (Niedźwiecka), Teresa Sapińska, Irena Gibbs, Dorota Gibbs, Helena Juchnowicz (Przychodżko), Aniela Gibbs, Maria Wypych (Węgrzyn)

The first-generation Polish Youth Club in its heyday at a camp in Akatarawa, Upper Hutt, September 1980

The first-generation Polish Youth Club in its heyday at a camp in Akatarawa, Upper Hutt, September 1980

The Polish dancing group Lublin. The group consists of first-generation Polish New Zealanders who performed at various Polish cultural events and to the general public.They are pictured here after a performance in Pahiatua at the 50th anniversary reunion of the Polish children's arrival in New Zealand

The Polish dancing group Lublin. The group consists of first-generation Polish New Zealanders who performed at various Polish cultural events and to the general public.
They are pictured here after a performance in Pahiatua at the 50th anniversary reunion of the Polish children's arrival in New Zealand

page XLIV
Two weeks' holiday (from 17 to 31 August 1945) was arranged for all the children from the Polish Children's Camp to various parts of the country for a taste of life in New Zealand. This group of 225 children visited Wanganui, where they received a very warm welcome from the local community. Each child was given a commemorative certificate of their visit

Two weeks' holiday (from 17 to 31 August 1945) was arranged for all the children from the Polish Children's Camp to various parts of the country for a taste of life in New Zealand. This group of 225 children visited Wanganui, where they received a very warm welcome from the local community. Each child was given a commemorative certificate of their visit

page XLV
The Waione boat excursion on the Wanganui River during the children's holiday in August 1945. This was one of the many activities organised for them by the city

The Waione boat excursion on the Wanganui River during the children's holiday in August 1945. This was one of the many activities organised for them by the city

A remembrance certificate in three languages (from top: Maori, English, Polish) was presented to each Polish child who holidayed in Wanganui in August 1945

A remembrance certificate in three languages (from top: Maori, English, Polish) was presented to each Polish child who holidayed in Wanganui in August 1945

Invitation to the 60th Anniversary Celebrations

Newspaper article

"Successful and happy celebrations of the 50th anniversary of arriving in New Zealand in 1944, from the former 'Isfahanians' around the world, signed Jadwiga Lewicka-Howells, President, the Association of the Former Polish Students in Polish Schools in Isfahan and Lebanon, London, October 1994"

"Successful and happy celebrations of the 50th anniversary of arriving in New Zealand in 1944, from the former 'Isfahanians' around the world, signed Jadwiga Lewicka-Howells, President, the Association of the Former Polish Students in Polish Schools in Isfahan and Lebanon, London, October 1994"

page XLVI
This memorial statue was unveiled on 22 February 1975 to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Polish Children's arrival in New Zealand. It stands in the rest area next to the camp's old entrance on SH2, some 2km south of Pahiatua

This memorial statue was unveiled on 22 February 1975 to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Polish Children's arrival in New Zealand. It stands in the rest area next to the camp's old entrance on SH2, some 2km south of Pahiatua

The plaque on the plinth of the memorial statue (see left photo)

The plaque on the plinth of the memorial statue (see left photo)

This memorial shield was affixed to Pahiatua Town Hall in 1969 on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the arrival of the Polish children in New Zealand

This memorial shield was affixed to Pahiatua Town Hall in 1969 on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the arrival of the Polish children in New Zealand

A statue of New Zealand's wartime Prime Minister Peter Fraser who was instrumental in bringing the Polish children to New Zealand. It stands outside the former Government Buildings in Wellington, the largest wooden building in the Southern Hemisphere

A statue of New Zealand's wartime Prime Minister Peter Fraser who was instrumental in bringing the Polish children to New Zealand. It stands outside the former Government Buildings in Wellington, the largest wooden building in the Southern Hemisphere

This plaque was unveiled on 25 October 2004 in Frank Kitts Park, Wellington, as part of the 60th anniversary celebrations

This plaque was unveiled on 25 October 2004 in Frank Kitts Park, Wellington, as part of the 60th anniversary celebrations

page XLVII
The original St Patrick's College, Buckle Street, Wellington. It was subsequently demolished to make room for the motorway, which was still unbuilt half a century later. Some 30 Polish boys attended this college at one time. Note the Carillon tower in the left background

The original St Patrick's College, Buckle Street, Wellington. It was subsequently demolished to make room for the motorway, which was still unbuilt half a century later. Some 30 Polish boys attended this college at one time. Note the Carillon tower in the left background

Leon Rudolf Rosenberg-Łaszkiewicz used to buy horses for the Polish army. At the camp, he bought a horse and named it Kuba. It was loved by all the children. Once, when Kuba escaped, Leon phoned the Pahiatua police in a panic using his best English: "Kuba, she is gone!" The officer understood that the wife had escaped

Leon Rudolf Rosenberg-Łaszkiewicz used to buy horses for the Polish army. At the camp, he bought a horse and named it Kuba. It was loved by all the children. Once, when Kuba escaped, Leon phoned the Pahiatua police in a panic using his best English: "Kuba, she is gone!" The officer understood that the wife had escaped

The Polish House (Dom Polski) in Newtown, Wellington. Converted from a bakery in 1956 by voluntary labour, it is a cultural centre and focal point for the Wellington region's Polish community

The Polish House (Dom Polski) in Newtown, Wellington. Converted from a bakery in 1956 by voluntary labour, it is a cultural centre and focal point for the Wellington region's Polish community

A march to Wellington's Cenotaph to support Poland's Solidarity (Solidarność) movement and protest against the Soviet occupation of Poland, 9 February 1981. Note the railway station in the background and the former Government Buildings on the right. Leading the march are (l-r) Zdzisław Lepionka (Polish Association President), Ludwik Kowalczyk, Mieczysław Murawski and Dioniza Choroś (Gradzik)

A march to Wellington's Cenotaph to support Poland's Solidarity (Solidarność) movement and protest against the Soviet occupation of Poland, 9 February 1981. Note the railway station in the background and the former Government Buildings on the right. Leading the march are (l-r) Zdzisław Lepionka (Polish Association President), Ludwik Kowalczyk, Mieczysław Murawski and Dioniza Choroś (Gradzik)

The Polish House in McDonald Street, Sandringham, Auckland

The Polish House in McDonald Street, Sandringham, Auckland

page XLVIII
On 22 February 1975, a commemorative monolith erected at the entrance to the former Polish Children's Camp in Pahiatua was unveiled. Because Iran gave shelter to Polish refugees from 1942 to 1945, a visiting Iranian TV crew filmed the unveiling for its viewers. Note the film crew on top of the bus

On 22 February 1975, a commemorative monolith erected at the entrance to the former Polish Children's Camp in Pahiatua was unveiled. Because Iran gave shelter to Polish refugees from 1942 to 1945, a visiting Iranian TV crew filmed the unveiling for its viewers. Note the film crew on top of the bus

MP John Falloon (left) and John Roy-Wojciechowski (right) unveil the information board next to the Pahiatua camp memorial at the 50th anniversary celebrations of the Polish children's arrival in New Zealand

MP John Falloon (left) and John Roy-Wojciechowski (right) unveil the information board next to the Pahiatua camp memorial at the 50th anniversary celebrations of the Polish children's arrival in New Zealand

Reunion Committee of the 60th Anniversity of the Arrival of Polish Children in New Zealand. Standing (l-r) Stanisław Manterys, Józef Zawada, Tadeusz Reder, Halina Manterys, Michał Zagwojski, Mieczysław Lis, Jan Roy-Wojciechowski Sitting (l-r) Janina Iwanica, Dioniza Choroś (Chairperson), Stefania Zawada, Stefania Sondej. (Absent: Father Bernard Bednarz, Emilia Jensen, Adam Manterys)

Reunion Committee of the 60th Anniversity of the Arrival of Polish Children in New Zealand.
Standing (l-r) Stanisław Manterys, Józef Zawada, Tadeusz Reder, Halina Manterys, Michał Zagwojski, Mieczysław Lis, Jan Roy-Wojciechowski
Sitting (l-r) Janina Iwanica, Dioniza Choroś (Chairperson), Stefania Zawada, Stefania Sondej. (Absent: Father Bernard Bednarz, Emilia Jensen, Adam Manterys)

The 60th anniversary group photo in St Patrick's College, Silverstream, 24 October 2004

The 60th anniversary group photo in St Patrick's College, Silverstream, 24 October 2004