Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 32

Testimonials

page break

Testimonials.

I.—From Professor Pillans, University of Edinburgh.

I Hereby certify that Mr. Macgregor, during the course of this session, attended the Senior Humanity Class without having been absent or late, that his conduct was uniformly correct, that he acquitted himself very creditably in the public examinations in the class, and that he performed the whole of the prescribed exercises.

(Signed)

J. Pillans.

College of Edinburgh,

II.—From Professor Dunbar, University of Edinburgh.

I Certify that Mr. A. Macgregor attended the Second Greek Class during session 1848—49 very regularly, that his conduct was correct, that in his examinations he acquitted himself very satisfactorily, that he performed very carefully the exercises prescribed, and that his proficiency was such as merited praise.

(Signed)

George Dunbar.

College of Edinburgh,

III.—From Professor Kirk Patrick, University of Edinburgh.

I Certify that Mr. Macgregor's attendance upon the Third Greek Class during session 1851—52 was very regular, that he conducted himself with very great propriety, that he prepared the lessons and exercises with great diligence and care, and that his proficiency as shewn by his examinations was highly satisfactory.

(Signed)

Edward Kirk Patrick.

College of Edinburgh,
page 2

IV.—From Sir WM. Hamilton, Professor of Logic and Metaphysics, University of Edinburgh.

I Certify that Mr. Macgregor was enrolled a public student in the Junior Class of Logic and Metaphysics on the 7th November, 1849, that he continued to attend the prelections and examinations until the 11th April, 1850, with very great regularity, that he performed the written exercises prescribed all and with great credit, and that his general conduct was unexceptionable.

(Signed)

W. Hamilton.

V.—From Professor John Wilson, University of Edinburgh.

Mr. Angus Macgregor was an excellent student, and most regular,—diligent and successful in his attainment of knowledge, and his various essays shewed uncommon talents.

(Signed)

John Wilson.

College, Edinburgh,

VI.—From Rev. Philip Kelland, Professor of Mathematics in the University of Edinburgh.

I Certify that Mr. Macgregor attended the First Class of Mathematics during the session 1849—50 with the greatest regularity, that he took an active part in the oral examinations, that he acquitted himself very creditably in the writen examinations, that his general proficiency was great and his conduct in the class excellent. He obtained a Prize.

(Signed)

P. Kelland.

University of Edinburgh,

VII.—From Professor Kelland, Edinburgh.

I Certify that Mr. Macgregor attended the Second Mathematical Class during the session 1850—51 with the utmost regularity, that he took an active part in the oral examinations, that he acquitted himself very creditably in the written examina- page 3 tions, that he performed a very large number of the prescribed weekly exercises, that his general proficiency was great and his conduct in the class excellent. He obtained a high Prize.

(Signed)

P. Kelland.

University of Edinburgh,

VIII.—From Professor Forbes, University of Edinburgh.

I Certify that Mr. Macgregor attended the Class of Natural Philosophy during session 1851—52 with great regularity, that he acquitted himself most satisfactorily in the examinations, that he performed a very large number of the prescribed exercises, and behaved himself in the class with the utmost propriety, He obtained a high Prize.

(Signed)

P. Kelland.

pro J. Forbes.

University of Edinburgh,

IX.—From R. Hislop, Esq., Rector of Blairlodge Academy.

Blairlodge Academy, Falkirk,

Mr. Macgregor has been employed in this Academy during the last session as Classical Master. His attainments in the Greek and Latin languages are of a very superior order, and his style of communication is characterised by clearness and simplicity. Mr. Macgregor also taught the Senior Mathematical Class with great ability, and on Sabbaths cordially took part in the Religious instruction of the pupils.

I have much pleasure in adding, that his habitual good nature made him a favourite with the boys, both in the school and in the play-ground.

(Signed)

Robt. Hislop.

X.—From John Macrae, Esq., A.M., Edin. and Melb., Classical Master, Scotch College, Geelong.

I Have much pleasure in testifying that I have known Mr, A. Macgregor for many years. He has had a full University page 4 Education in Edinburgh, where I had the pleasure of making his acquaintance. He ranked in point of ability among the first. He is an excellent Classical and Mathematical scholar, and his general acquirements are varied and extensive. He has been eminently successful as a teacher in connection with some of the leading Institutions in Edinburgh, and I have no doubt that the same talents now transferred to another scene, will give the same satisfaction that has always attended his scholastic labours.

Mr. Macgregor will be found to be a valuable acquisition in any community where teachers of the higher order are understood and appreciated.

(Signed)

John Macrae, A.M., &c.

Geelong College,

XI.—From John Carmichael, Esq., A.M., Professor of Classics and Mathematics, Congregational College of Victoria.

Melbourne,

I Have known Mr. Macgregor for several years in Melbourne, and knew the reputation of his family at home as dis-tinguished students of the University of Edinburgh, and among their number was ranked Mr. Angus Macgregor. I know Mr. Macgregor for a nice Classical scholar, using that term in its academic sense. As a Mathematician, I consider that he has considerable natural aptitude for that science, and that he has knowledge amply sufficient to qualify him for conducting the Mathematical department of any Upper School. A kindly manner and strong common sense, both of which Mr. Macgregor possesses, ought to render him a favourite teacher.

(Signed)

John Carmighael, A.M.,

Professor of Classics and Mathematics, Melbourne.,

XII.—From David Ross, Esq., Rector of the Grammar School, Tokomairiro.

I Beg hereby to certify, that Mr. Macgregor has been known to me for several years back, since first he entered College in the University of Edinburgh. Mr. Macgregor is a member of page 5 a family, each and all of whom have distinguished themselves as pre-eminent students,—his brother (now Dr. Macgregor of Dundee) carrying off the highest honours in the gift of the Edinburgh University.

Mr. Macgregor, as a student of very high attainments, particularly in Classics and Mathematics, was for many years engaged in Edinburgh in private tuition, preparing the sons of the richer classes for entering upon and aiding and guiding them while in their College course. Afterwards he was elected as Classical and Mathematical Master in Blairlodge Academy,—an appointment which he filled with great credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of his employers. Nor are his attainments the only excellent qualifications he as a teacher possesses; he is particularly patient, good-natured and humorous, but firm withal,—elements in themselves very essential in a teacher, whether public or private.

He is recently come to Otago, to devote his talents and energies to scholastic labour, wherever a suitable sphere may present itself.

From his very high attainments and clear sound scholarship, I have every confidence in recommending him as a teacher fit to undertake any department in any Institution in New Zealand.

(Signed)

David Ross.

Toko. School,

XIII.—From Rev. D. Macrae, A.M., Kilmore, Victoria.

Kilmore,

Mr. Macgregor has to my knowledge been very successful as a teacher in and near Edinburgh. He is a capital scholar, and has had considerable experience in teaching. He possesses in a high degree those qualifications required in an instructor of youth,—a liberal education, the art of communicating knowledge, and a good temper combined with firmness of purpose. I feel certain that he will always give satisfaction as a teacher.

(Signed)

Donald Macrae.

Presbyterian Minister
page 6

XIV.—From the Rev. R. Scrimgeour, St. Andrew's Church, Dunedin.

I Hereby certify with much pleasure that Mr. Macgregor is well known to me, and that I am well aware of his distinguished attainments as a Classical and Mathematical scholar.

I know also of his great success as a tutor in connection with the two leading Institutions in Edinburgh, and as a teacher in one of the principal Boarding Schools in Scotland. He is acquainted with the most approved methods of carrying out the higher education of the young, and I can therefore most cordially recommend him to any situation which in providence may occur, in the full assurance that he will discharge the duties thereof with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of his patrons and friends.

(Signed)

Robt. Scrimgeour.

St. Andrew's Manse, Dunedin,

XV.—From Rev. D. M. Stuart, Knox Church, Dunedin.

Dunedin,

Mr. Macgregor has resided in Dunedin for about a year, and by his kindliness has greatly endeared himself to all who have made his acquaintance. He has conducted classes for Mathematics and Greek and Latin, which have been attended by many of our young men. From his excellent disposition, his sound scholarship, and his professional experience acquired in some of the best schools in the Home country, I am sure he will be an acquisition to any Institution requiring an able teacher.

(Signed)

D. M. Stuart.

XVI.—From John Hislop, Esq., Secretary of Education Board, and Inspector of Schools for Otago.

Education Office, Dunedin,

I Have been acquainted with Mr. Angus Macgregor ever since his arrival in Dunedin about a year ago. During the greater portion of the past year he has conducted a Select Private Classical page 7 and Commercial Academy, and he has also taught Evening Classes for the instruction of young gentlemen in the higher branches of education.

I know that Mr. Macgregor has given very great satisfaction in connection both with his Day and Evening Classes. From the circumstance that one of my sons has studied under him for some months, I am able to state very confidently that, in my opinion, Mr. Macgregor is a most admirable and successful teacher of the Classics and Mathematics.

Mr. Macgregor's conduct during his residence in Dunedin has been most correct and exemplary. I am confident he will prove a most successful and acceptable teacher in any Grammar or other Superior School in which he may be employed.

(Signed)

John Hislop.

Secretary and Inspector of Schools for Otago.

XVII.—From Thomas Halliwell, Esq., Head Master of the Middle District School, Dunedin.

Dunedin,

Mr., Macgregor having just intimated to me that it is his intention to offer himself as a candidate for the vacant Rectorship of the "Oamaru Grammar School," I beg respectfully to state that I regard his qualifications as being so very high, that I am decidedly of opinion that the Education Board and the School Committee would be most fortunate in securing the services of so distinguished a preceptor. At the present time Mr. Macgregor is ably filling a Private Professorial Chair, almost as successfully, I think, as would be done had we the proposed University already established. Students in the Law, &c., are most earnestly prosecuting their studies in Classics and Mathematics under his direction, and I can most unhesitatingly state that there is only one opinion of him in Dunedin, namely,—"an able scholar."

My own son has been attending his Evening Classical and Mathematical Classes, and it has always been most gratifying to hear his report of Mr. Macgregor's winning and efficient manner of carrying his students through their studies.

Mr. Macgregor is certainly a thorough disciplinarian, and he is, I believe, in advance of many in the profession in his happy mode page 8 of leading his pupils to feel an interest in what they undertake, and in stimulating them to self-culture.

Had the salary offered been about treble the amount, I could more cordially say to Mr. Macgregor- "offer yourself." However, should the Committee elect him, I have no doubt he will soon make his worth known and duly appreciated.

Thos. Halliwell,

Head Master, Middle District School.

decorative feature

Printed by Reith and Nicolson, Princes Street Cutting, Dunedin.