Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 45

Sixteenth Annual Report of the Committee of Management of the Benevolent Institution

page break

Sixteenth Annual Report of the Committee of Management of the Benevolent Institution,

Printed at the "Daily Times" Dunedin Office, Rattray Street.

1878 page break

The Committee meet at Farley's Buildings, Princes Street, every Thursday, at 4 p.m., to receive applications for relief.

page break

Sixteenth Annual Report Committee of Management of the Otago Benevolent Institution.

The Committee of Management, in submitting their Sixteenth Annual Report, is pleased to congratulate the subscribers upon the satisfactory financial position of the Institution.

Subscriptions.—Notwithstanding that the direct subscriptions which, for the year 1877 reached the sum of £1990 4s. 1d., this year only amounted to £1,719 10s. 10d., it will be seen from the results of the Carnival that the cause of charity and benevolence is by no means on the decline among us.

Investment.—During the past year the Legislature, acting upon the recommendation of the Trustees of the Dunedin Savings Bank, appropriated the large sum of £7,515 (being a portion of accumulated profits on deposits) to be invested for the benefit of this Institution. To the Trustees of the Savings Bank, and to the Honorables W. H. Reynolds and Robert Stout, who carried the measure successfully through Parliament, the thanks of the public are due.

Carnival.—Through the exertions of a number of ladies and gentlemen in our midst, aided by Mr. A. Inglis, who kindly placed his extensive premises at their disposal, there page 4 was held during the past year in Dunedin a most successful Carnival in aid of our funds. There has been thus placed at our disposal the handsome sum of £3,448, which includes Government subsidy on the amount collected.

Thanks.—To our regular subscribers, to many generous donors of considerable sums, to the ladies and gentlemen above-mentioned, and to many others who have manifested kindly interest and rendered valuable assistance, the cordial acknowledgments of your Committee are tendered.

Wife Desertion.—The Committee feel it their duty to bring again before the public the matter of wife desertion, in the hope that the Legislature may be induced to interfere. Were it possible to arrest in the neighbouring colonies these heartless wretches who cast their responsibilities and their burden on the public, one fruitful source of distress would be removed.

Out-Door Relief.—The state of the labour market has appreciably relieved the funds of the Institution, so that, with a larger number assisted, the expenditure for out-door relief has been £105 11s. 10d. less than last year.

The total amount expended for out-door relief has been £2304 13s. 7d. The total number relieved was 1436, composed of 202 men, 358 women, and 976 children; of these, 95 were widows, with 283 children, 26 deserted wives, with 93 children, and four women whose husbands are or were in gaol, with 11 children. 96 families included in the foregoing statement, comprising 38 men. 89 women, and 233 children, received clothing, bedding, fuel, and rent, to the amount of £815 11s. 6d. It should be mentioned that a number of the men mentioned above are very old, and nearly incapacitated for work, while others were suffering from accidents or temporary illness.

Your Committee have assisted families to reach their friends, some within and some beyond the colony, and have charged the amount to out-door relief.

Institution. The total number received into the Institution at Caversham during the year was 21 men, 9 women, and 11 children. The numbers discharged were 16 men, 7 women, and 16 children: of the latter, 5 boys and 5 girls page 5 have been taken out by friends, and 4 boys and 1 girl placed at service. The number remaining in the Institution on 31st December, was 42 men, 11 women, and 23 children. The cost for each inmate was 8s. 8d. per week, as against 7s. 10d. per week for the previous year; the difference is attributed to the increased number of adults.

Additions Required.—The applications for admission to the Institution are on the increase, and further accommodation to meet the demand will have to be provided; a house within the grounds for which a rental of forty pounds per annum was received had to be utilised for the old men.

Improvements.—As will be seen on reference to expenditure, there has been a large outlay on necessary improvements. A dining hall has been erected for the accommodation of the old people, and a portion of the grounds which was formerly of little value has been reclaimed. In carrying out this work a large quantity of valuable fuel was obtained.

Medical Officer.—The Medical Officer's Report attached, reflects credit on the management. The best thanks of the Committee are due to Dr. Hocken, for his attention, both to in-door and outdoor patients.

Secretary.—The Committee continue to appreciate, and desire to acknowledge the hearty services rendered by Mr. and Mrs. Quin, in their responsible and difficult position.

Miss Wilson, the schoolmistress, and Mr. MacFie, the religious instructor, continue to give satisfaction in their respective spheres.

Newspapers Supplied.—To the proprietors of the undermentioned papers supplied gratuitously to the Institution, the Committee tender their acknowledgments—Weekly Witness. Evening Star, Saturday Advertiser, Morning Herald, Bruce Herald, Church News, Christian Record, Illustrated New Zealand Herald, and Evangelist.

Balance-Sheet.—The Balance-sheet annexed, containing a statement of Revenue and Expenditure, shows the satisfactory position of our finances.

page 6

The following gentlemen who retire from office are eligible for re-election, viz.—President, A. Chetham Strode; Vice-Presidents, R. B. Martin and A. Rennie; Trustees, A. Chetham Strode and R. B Martin; Treasurer, James Brown; Medical Officer, T. M. Hocken; Committee of Management, James Fulton, Alex. Rennie, James Brown, John Hislop, R. A. Low, Captain Thomson, A. H. Ross, T. M. Wilkinson, Henry Wise, vacant.

A. Chetham Strode,

Chairman.
page 7

Medical Report,

Dunedin,

To the Committee of the Otago Benevolent Institution.

Gentlemen,—I have the honour to report that during the past year the health of the inmates has been generally good, although the complaints inseparable from advanced age and broken constitutions have been numerous.

The deaths have been three in number—James Walsh, aged 67 years; George Brown, 49; and Mary Duggan, 70—these died from old age, with the exception of Brown, whose death was caused by lung disease of long standing. Mary Duggan was brought to the Institution in a very neglected and deplorable state. An operation for cataract was recently performed on an absolutely blind man; owing to an unfortunate occurrence this has not been so far successful, and a further one will be necessitated, which will doubtless restore sight.

The children have been on the whole in excellent health and condition and free from any epidemic. I must again here add my testimony to the unflagging zeal of Mr. and Mrs. Quin, master and matron, whose attention to the wants of the inmates is not to be surpassed. I always attribute much of our freedom from disease to their constant watchfulness in the matters of cleanliness and ventilation.

There have been many cases of illness amongst the outdoor recipients of the charity, all of which have received attention.

I have the honour to be, Gentlemen, Yours most obediently,

T. M. Hocken,

Medical Officer Otago Benevolent Institution.
page 8
Receipts. £ s. d. £ s. d. To Cash Balance, 1877 48 13 4 To Government Subsidy ... 1951 9 6 To Yearly Subscriptions, Collections, ..... 1719 10 10 To Proceeds of Carnival ... 1724 2 4 To Other sources, Rents, Sale of Stock, Produce, on account of Inmates, &c ... ... 152 17 2 To Interest received on Carnival In vestment for 12 months ending 20th Octobar, 1878 ... 120 0 0 £5716 13 2 Dunedin, 1st April, 1879. RICH. QUIN, Secretary. Disbursements. £ s. d. £ s. d. By Cash paid Out-door Relief ... 2308 9 1 Milk, Groceries, Meat, &c., ... 726 12 6 Furnishing and Repairs ... 57 0 7 Advertising, Printing, &c ... 41 3 3 Religious Instructor ... 52 0 0 Salary of Medical Officer ... 50 0 0 Salary of Schoolmistress ... 50 0 0 Salaries, Secretary, Matron, Servants, &c. ... ... 433 5 2 j? Office Rent and Stationery, ... 18 8 9 ?? School Requisites ... 2 12 6 j. Fencing, Building, &c. ... 683 0 9 Clothing and Repairs to same ... 136 16 10 il Fuel ... 135 7 2 JJ Stock, Medicine, Seeds, Rates, Insurance, Postage, and va r i o u s Miscellaneous Charges ... 304 12 0 4999 8 7 Balance to 1879 ... ... 717 4 7 £5716 13 2

Statement of Receipts and Disbursements of the Otago Benevolent Institution

For the Year ending 31st December, 1878.

Dunedin, 1st April, 1879.

Rich. Quin

, Secretary. Audited and found correct.

M. W. Hawkins

, Auditor.
page break

Benevolent Institute Carnival

Abstract of Receipts and Expenditure.

Receipts.
Entrance money £519 6 6
Bazaar stalls 566 8 8
Auction sales 257 2 1
Bar receipts 71 6 7
Sales of produce 79 18 7
Art Union of remnants 25 0 0
Weighing machine 2 3 11
Sundries 61 4 10
Contributions in money 282 8 3
Theatre performance 244 10 6
Proceeds of Opera 160 0 0
Service of Song 95 14 0
£2,365 3 11
Expenditure.
Goods purchased £252 3 9
Expenses of Exhibition Committee 184 6 5
Expenses of Theatrical Entertainments 145 10 0
Expenses of Opera 57 3 0
£639 3 2
Net proceeds £1,726 0 9
Cash in Bank £1,724 2 4
Outstanding account 1 18 5
£1,726 0 9

Richard H. Leary,

Honorary Treasurer.
page 10

Report of Proceedings at the Annual Meeting.

After the reading of the Report and the Statement of Receipts and Disbursements,

The Rev. Dr. Stuart said: Will you allow me, sir, to ask a question? It is stated here that "during the past year the Legislature, acting upon the recommendation of the trustees of the Dunedin Savings Bank, appropriated the large sum of £7515, being a portion of accumulated profits on deposits, to be invested for the benefit of this institution." Has that money been transferred to this institution?

The Chairman: I may mention, Doctor, as a trustee of the Savings Bank, that I was one who attended the meeting when that was done, and the thing has been carried out so far as the law permits. The Governor's assent has been given to it, and we have gone further—that is, myself and some others from this institution—we have selected from the securities of the Savings Bank what are considered the best securities; we have taken the highest interest, and it only now requires a formal meeting between the Committee and the Trustees to have it carried out. The Institution is receiving the interest all along. It is merely a matter of completion.

Rev. Dr. Roseby: There is no mention in the balance-sheet of the sum that was received by the Carnival in Mr. Inglis' building some months ago.

The Chairman: Oh yes, there is.

The Rev. Dr. Roseby: But there is a Government subsidy of an equal amount to that, is there not?

The Chairman: This balance-sheet was made up to the end of the last financial year. The subsidy from the page 11 Government will be shown next year. It was received in January.

The Rev. J. U. Davis: In the second paragraph of the report, Mr. Chairman, it states that "notwithstanding that the direct subscriptions, which for the year 1877 reached the sum of £1990 4s. 1d., this year only amounted to £1719 10s. 10d., it will be seen that the cause of charity and benevolence is by no weans on the decline among us." Would it not be well to put in: "It will be seen from the results of the Carnival"—because there is no doubt the Carnival has caused the drop.

The Chairman: The suggestion is not a bad one. and I think the addition might be made. There is no doubt that that was an extraordinary effort, and it is well that it should be recognised. At the same time, I may remark that the people who have contributed to the Carnival have been people who would have contributed otherwise. These extraordinary efforts are sometimes hindrances to the secretary in obtaining subscriptions, because people say: "Oh, I have given to the Carnival." However, it is as well to make the alteration.

The alteration was accordingly made.

The Rev. Dr. Stuart then said: Mr. Chairman, I rise to move the adoption of the report. I am sure that to the friends of this Institution it must afford very great pleasure to know that the community from year to year extend to it their substantial support. So far as I know, the Institution, from the day it was launched, has maintained its popularity with the people, and I am of opinion that it is mainly owing to this that all along they have had much confidence in the management. So far as I know, the gentlemen who have given all their time to the work, which is somewhat difficult and somewhat delicate, have done it with remarkable success. I am sure it is not out of place to accord in connection with the management very special credit to my friend Mr. Strode. I have always been of opinion that the education he has had as a magistrate on the Bench has very specially fitted him for eliciting information from applicants for relief. And it is very gratifying that, though the Committee are sometimes reduced to straits—are obliged to give their own names for a very heavy overdraft—it is very page 12 gratifying to think that the community, including the churches, always make it their business before the annual meeting conies round to put the requisite funds at their disposal to relieve the gentlemen who have given their names to the bank and provided the funds. I am sure we are particularly indebted to the friends who originated the Carnival movement last year. I know that these men in originating that movement were .actuated by the purest benevolence. I happened to be present at one of their first meetings, and was delighted to find that their great object was—knowing that the Committee was hard up—to secure for them, in view of dull times and straightened means, the requisite pabulum. You know how successfully the movement was carried out, and how it put a very comfortable sum at the disposal of the Committee.—(Hear, hear.) It is to many of us a source of regret that in a community so young and so flourishing as this there should be such considerable demand on the charity of the people. My own conviction is that these demands originate very much from popular sins—from the intemperance of a considerable section of the community, and, as the report shows, in wife-desertion. There is nothing, I think, that reflects more severely on this community than the number of young men who, in hard times and when work is not easily secured, leave their wives to the tender charities of their neighbours and to this Institution. It is extremely discreditable to us; and if anything could be done by legislation or by public opinion to throw out of existence the cowardice which to some extent exists, and which shows itself by neglecting the poor wife and the little children, requiring her to bear the humiliation to come before your attention and to implore such assistance as you never refuse when the case is really a deserving one. I am very thankful that you draw attention to one form of sin which largely exists in our midst. I would have been very thankful to this Committee—for none have better means of ascertaining the cause of the poverty around us—if they had drawn attention to the tippling and intemperance in our midst, and which certainly brings to this Institution a considerable number of those who have to be supported. I have great pleasure in moving the adoption of the report, for, as one of the community, I know the valuable and Christian work that the Committee page 13 are rendering to the people, and indeed to all the Churches.—(Applause.)

The Rev. Dr. Copland said: Mr. Chairman, I beg leave to second the proposal that has been submitted. I think that the report is exceedingly satisfactory, as indicating the zeal and diligence of the Committee in overtaking the work which had to be done; and it is also satisfactory as showing us that the community have so far responded nobly to the necessities that have arisen. At the same time there is some degree of fear to which I must confess on account of the circumstance that, while looking at the reports year by year, there is a steady keeping up and even increase of the numbers—speaking generally—requiring help certainly proportionate to the increase of the population; yet there is not a corresponding increase of regular subscriptions. There is a difference of nearly £200 in the regular subscriptions between this year and the last, although possibly, but for the Carnival, the amount that was obtained last year might have been obtained this year in the regular way. It seems to me as if there was a comparatively small section of the community who realised the burden which rested upon them, and fairly fulfilled the part which might be expected of them. During last year close upon £5000 has been expended, of which the whole, with the exception of the sum of £683 required for fencing and building—was expended for the ordinary regular purposes which might be expected to arise year by year. Now to meet this, the only regular source of income, as indicated this year, is the amount of the subscriptions and collections, and even though these surpass what has been adhered to this year or last—even though we should collect £2000 of subscriptions, and obtain an equal amount of Government subsidy, still we should be considerably short of what is required for the interests of the Institution. I think, therefore, that public attention should be drawn to the necessity of enlarging the sphere of those who contribute to the regular support of this Institution. These extra efforts—for which we must indeed be grateful—in the past, cannot be expected year by year continually, and without them we may wake some year to find that funds are far short, and some different method—namely, legal assessment, must be resorted to—(No, no!)—and that, I hold very strongly, would be a calamity which we should en- page 14 deavour to stave off as long as we possibly can.—(Applause.) Now there is another matter which has been referred to—that of wife-desertion. The number is slightly less than it was last year—it is 26, as compared with 32 last year; but then, in addition to these 26, there are 4 whose families had to be assisted on account of the men being put in gaol. Well, all these cases throw a very large number as a burden upon this Institution. Most of the men will escape to neighbouring Colonies, and then our legislation is powerless. Now could not some very direct effort be made to request the Government—one of the influential members of the Government—to take charge of some measure that would obviate this very serious evil? No doubt the same evil will be felt by similar institutions in the neighbouring Colonies, because if we cannot bring back deserting husbands from the neighbouring Colonies these Colonies will be in the same position; whereas, if the same thing were gone into by the several Colonial Governments, this evil might be remedied. And, in connection with this, it is worthy of consideration whether or not the managers of this Institution could not draw attention in some practical and substantial way to the strong necessity of greater providence being exercised by the working classess. In connection with the temptation to wife-desertion, and also the fact that large numbers of widows, with their children, are thrown upon this Institution, plainly indicate a degree of improvidence on the part of the working classes which ought not to be; and considering the opportunities which many of them have of saving money by putting it in the savings bank, or in some friendly society, it is evident that there is a necessity for attention being drawn to this matter. I don't know in what way it could best be done, but possibly this Institution, which is so directly brought in contact with the results of this improvidence, might let its voice be heard in the way that might be deemed most desirable and most effective. I have only to express my very high appreciation of the great zeal and care and efficiency with which the affairs of this Institution are managed; and I am sure that the small number that attend these annual meetings indicates, as has been hinted at on a former occasion, rather a perfect confidence on the part of the public in the Institution than an absolute want of interest in the work itself.—(Applause.)

page 15

The Chairman: Well, gentlemen, on behalf of the Committee I have to thank you very kindly for the compliment paid to the management, and I am sure it is very satisfactory to have it, and that it will be an incentive to go on and work with the same earnestness that they have shown hitherto. The president, Mr. Strode, will be equally pleased, I have no doubt, to know through the papers of the complimentary remarks that have been passed in regard to him by Dr. Stuart. It has been a labour of love with him ever since the formation of the Institution—many years ago now—and the Committee have been actively engaged on their part. There is no doubt that in some cases you will hear of want of discretion in the exercise of their duty by the Committee; but everybody is liable to be imposed upon at times, and there is no doubt that we have been imposed upon occasionally, though at the same time it has not been for want of care. Cases crop up in which we have no alternative but to assist the destitute, without making inquiries into the merits of the case beforehand. I quite agree that there is a great deal of truth in the remarks of Dr. Copland about wife-desertion and drunkenness, and want of economy and forethought on the part of the people; but that is a matter that has been impressed on the public ever since the Institution started, and there has been no action taken up to the present day. It is my duty on behalf of the Committee to thank not only the churches for the very liberal and generous way in which they have responded on all occasions, but also the public, and the promoters of the Carnival movement. In a great measure we are indebted to them for the very healthy position in which our funds are at present.—(Applause.)

The motion was then carried.

On the motion of the Rev. J. U. Davis the following gentlemen were re-elected the officers for the ensuing year:—President, A. Chetham Strode; vice-presidents, R. B Martin and A. Rennie; trustees, A. Chetham Strode and R. B. Martin; treasurer, J. Brown; medical officer, Dr. Hocken; committee of management, James Fulton, A. Rennie, James Brown, John Hislop, R. A. Lowe, Captain Thomson, A. H. Ross, T. M. Wilkinson; and Mr. James Wilkie was elected in lieu of Mr. Wise, who is at present in England.

The meeting closed with the usual compliments to the chair.

page 16
MALE. FEMALE. TOTAL Old age and infirmity .. .. 15 7 22 Blindness .. .. .. 3 .. 3 Paralysis .. .. .. 4 .. 4 Spinal Disease .. .. 2 .. 2 Imbecility .. 1 1 2 Rheumatism (Chronic) .. .. 9 2 11 Rupture .. .. .. 1 .. 1 Asthma .. .. .. 1 1 1 Crippled .. .. .. 6 1 7 .. 42 11 53

Table I.

Shewing the Number of Inmates, and the Diseases which incapacitate them from earning a living.

ADULTS. CHILDREN'S AGES. Male Female Children AGES OF THE ADULTS. 1 Year. 2 Years. 3 Years. TOTAL. 28, 31, 33, 39, 40, 41, 42, 45, 47, 50, 51, 62, 53, 54, 56, 56, 57, 57, 58,60, 60, 61,61,61,63, 64, 66, 66, 66,67,67,70, 70,70, 71, 71,71,71, 71, 71, 72, 72, 73,73, 73, 74, 75,76, 77, 78, 79, 82, 83. 4 Years. 5 Years. 6 Years. 7 Years. 8 Years. 9 Years. 10 Years. 11 Years. 12 Years. 13 Years. 14 Years. 42 11 23 0 1 3 0 l 0 2 2 0 3 4 3 2 2 76 9 boys and 14 girls.

Table II.

Shewing the respective Ages of the Inmates of the Institution at Caversham 31st December, 1878.

page 17
ADULTS. children. CAUSES. Male. Female. Boys. Girls. total. Church of England. Presbyterian. Roman Catholic. Weslcyan Methodists. Others. TOTAL. Placed at Service .. .. 4 1 5 2 3 .. .. .. 5 Taken out by Friends .. .. 5 5 10 6 4 .. .. .. 10 Left Voluntarily 11 6 .. .. 17 7 9 1 .. .. 17 Sent to Friends in other places .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Sent to Hospital 3 .. .. .. 3 .. 1 1 1 3 Placed on Stuff .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Sent to Lunatic Asylum .. .. .. 1 1 1 .. .. .. .. 1 Discharged .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Expelled .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Deaths 2 1 .. .. 3 1 1 1 .. .. 3 Total Discharged 16 7 9 7 39 17 18 3 .. 1 39

Table III.

Shewing the Number of Persons Discharged from the Institution at Caversham during 1878.

ADULTS. DENOMINATION. Male. Female. Children. Total. Church of England. Presbyterian. Roman Catholics. Weslevan Methodists. Others. Total. Corresponding Total, 1877. Corresponding Total, 1876. Corresponding Total, 1876. Corresponding Total, 1874. Corresponding Total, 1873. Total Inmates 31st December, 1877 .. ..379287429393.. 3748178767677 Admitted during 1878 .. ..21911417256.. 3413676543031 Total .. ..58183911536649 .. 6115117154130106108 Discharged ..16713917183.. 1394373523032 Total Inmates 31st December, 1878. ..4211237619466.. 5767481787676

Table IV.

Shewing the Number of Persons Admitted to and Discharged from the Institution during the Year, and the Number of Inmates on December 31st, 1878.

page break
Males. Females. Children. Total. Church of England. Presbyterian Roman Catholic Wesleyans. Others. Total. Corresponding Total, 1877. Corresponding Total, 1876. Corresponding Total, 1875. Corresponding Total, 1874. Corresponding Total, 1873. Relieved, 1878 102 368 976 1436 388 655 301 4 88 1436 1395 1576 1211 810 680 Discharged 87 258 697 1042 243 472 236 4 87 1042 082 1152 806 442 415 On the Books, 31st December, 1878 15 100 270 304 145 183 65 .. 1 804 323 424 405 368 265

Table V.

Shewing the Total Number of Persons relieved Outdoor and Discharged during 1878, and the Number on the Books, December 31st, 1878.

page break

Rules of the Benevolent Institution, Dunedin.

Rules and Regulations.

Qualifications and Priveleges of Governers and Subscribers.

1. Every donor of .£20 or upwards shall be

Qualification Of Life Governors.

a Life Governor; and every person who may have raised, or shall raise, by one or more collections in one year, the sum of twenty pounds (£20) or upwards, from persons not claiming membership on account of their contributions towards such sum; and every executor first named in any Will, proving the same, and paying to the Institution a bequest of fifty pounds (£50) or upwards, shall have all the rights and privileges of a Life Governor.
2. Every Subscriber of one guinea or upwards

Qualification Of Members.

shall be an annual Member, and shall have the privilege of recommending cases of distress for relief, and of voting at the election of office-bearers, provided that he shall not be entitled to vote until three months after the payment of his first Annual Subscription. The Annual Subscription shall be due and payable on the 1st day of January in each year.
page 20

Annual General Meeting in the month of January.

There shall be, in the month of January in every year, a General Meeting of the Life Governors and Members of the Institution, to be held at such place as the General Committee shall appoint (of which meeting fourteen days' previous notice shall be given in two or more of the Dunedin newspapers), to receive the Report and Accounts of the Committee of Management; to elect the Committee and other Office-bearers; and to transact the general business of the Institution.

Office-bearers to be elected annually.

The Office-bearers of the Institution shall consist of:—a President, Vice-President, Honorary Treasurer, and a General Committee of any number not exceeding eight members (exclusive of ex officio Members), to be elected at the Annual General Meeting, by and from among the Life Governors and Members.

Ex-officio Members of Committee.

The President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Honorary Medical Officers, and the resident principal Minister of each congregation contributing a collection to the Funds of the Institution (being qualified as Governors) shall be ex officio Members of Committee; but no ex officio Members, except Honorary Office-bearers, shall vote on the removal or appointment of any paid servant of the Institution.

Committee Meetings, when to be held.

The General Committee shall meet once in the week, and at such other times as they may appoint, to receive the report of the various officers, and discuss the general business of the Institution; three to form a quorum. A Committee Meeting shall be held the first Monday in every February and August, to enter into contracts for the supply of provisions and other necessaries: five to form a quorum.

Who to preside at Committee Meetings.

The President, Vice-President, or Treasurer, shall preside at all meetings of Committee; and in their absence, the majority present shall appoint their own Chairman, who shall have an additional or casting vote.
page 21
8. The Committee shall frame such Bye-laws

Committee to frame Bye-laws and Regulations.

and Regulations as they may deem necessary, the same not being at variance with the general laws of the Institution.
9. The Committee of Management may convene

Special General Meeting of Subscribers, how to be convened.

a special general meeting of subscribers at any time, upon giving notice at least fourteen days previously, in two or more of the Dunedin news-papers, which notice shall be repeated three times. Any thirty Life Governors or Subscribers may request the Committee to call a special meeting at any time; and should they, after receiving such requisition so signed, refuse or neglect to call such meeting within fourteen days, it shall be in the power of the said requisitionists to convene such a meeting, upon giving notice as directed above.
10. No bye-law or regulation shall be altered

Bye-laws to be repealed only at special meetings.

or repealed except at a special meeting of Committee; such meeting to consist of not less than five members.
11. That in electing to any appointment by

How appointments are to be made by the Committee.

the Committee, when there are more applicants than are required, the voting shall take place by voting cards; and in all cases the salary shall be determined before proceeding to election.
12. There shall be two or more Medical Officers,

Honorary Medical Officers and their qualifications.

not to exceed four, whose appointment shall be honorary; and no one shall be eligible for the office of Medical Officer who is not certificated by the Medical Board of Otago.
13. The Honorary Medical Officers shall be

Appointment of Honorary Medical Officers and filling up of vacancies.

chosen by the Committee, and shall be amenable to the rules made by them. If any vacancy occurs by death, removal, or retirement, such vacancy shall be filled up at a special meeting of Committee, to be convened for that purpose.
14. That the Honorary Medical Officers shall

How Medical Officers shall report.

report on the state of the inmates at the weekly meeting of Committee.
page 22

Conditions of admission to Institution.

That no application be received unless signed by a Subscriber; and no person shall be admitted until the expiration of one week from the date of applying, to allow time for inquiry, except in special cases.

Tenders to be called for supplies.

Tenders for all supplies shall be invited for a period of not less than 6 months, the amount of such tenders to be duly recorded in the Minute-book. No Member of Committee to supply any article for the use of the Institution, for which he may receive pecuniary or other compensation.

House Visiting Committee, how to be appointed.

The House Visiting Committee, consisting of three Members, shall be appointed by and from the General Committee, at the monthly meetings in February, May, August, and November in each year, to act in rotation. Members retiring to be eligible for re-appointment.

Duties of Visiting Committee.

It shall be their duty to visit the Institution at least once a week, to make a general inspection, and to record the result in the Minute-book, to be kept in the Institution; such book to be produced at the weekly meeting of the Committee.

Management of Institution.

The Superintendent, or other officer appointed by the Committee, shall have the management of the Institution, subject to the regulations and orders of the Committee.

Religious instruction.

The inmates of the Institution will be allowed religious instruction from the ministers of the denomination to which they belong, at such times as the Committee shall appoint.
page 23

Life Governors.

• Barr, John A.
  • Bateman, G. C.
  • Bell, Sir F. D.
  • Borrie, Donald
  • Burton A. H.
  • Byng, Rev. C. J.
  • Cable, H.
  • Caleutt, Thomas
  • Campbell, Robt. J.
  • Chapman. Robert
  • Clark, Rev. C.
  • Clarke, Joseph
  • Clarke, Wm. J., Sunbnry, Victoria
  • Connebee, Rev. R.
  • Coote, Charles
  • Cutten, C. W.
  • Davidson, James
  • Davis, Rev. J. U.
  • Dench, H.
  • Dodson, George
  • Dodson, Thos.
  • Douglas, W. S.
  • Dowse, George
  • Driver, Henry
  • Edinburgh, H.R.H. Duke of
  • Edmond, John
  • Edwards, Rev. E. G.
  • Fargie, John
  • Farjeon, B. L.
  • Farley, Henry
  • Farrer, W. E.
  • Fish, H. S., jun.
  • Forsyth, Robert
  • Fulton, Francis
  • Fulton, James
  • Geddes, W. G.
  • Gourley, Hugh
  • Gow, Rev. Jno.
  • Guthrie, W.
  • Hardy, H. F.
  • Harris, Woolf
  • Hazlett, James
  • Henry, J. G.
  • Hislop, John, jeweller
  • Holmes, James S.
  • Holmes, Hon. Mathew
  • Hudson, R.
  • Hume, Marcus
  • Inglis, A.
  • Jack, A. Hill
  • James, S.
  • Jameson, J. M.
  • Kennedy, William
  • Kirkcaldy, W. C.
  • Lambert, W.
  • Lane, Wm.
  • Larnach, W. J. M.
  • Laurenson, Fleming
  • Leitch, Peter
  • Little, Samuel H.
  • Lyster, W.
  • Mackie, Rev. L.
  • Macandrew, James
  • McKegg, Amos
  • Maitland, J. P.
  • Mansford, T. A.
  • Marshall, James
  • Martin, R. B.
  • Melhuish, William
  • Meenan, F.
  • Mercer, Andrew
  • Mill, James
  • Moore, Caleb
  • Moreau, Rev. D.
  • Morley, Carmini
  • Murphy, M.
  • Murray, R. K.
  • M'Callum, Capt.
  • M'Gregor, Alex.
  • M'Caughan, P. K.
  • McLean, Hugh J.
  • M'Dougal, Wm.
  • M'Lean, John
  • M'Lean, John M.
  • McNeil, John (Briscoe's)
  • Neill, P. C.
  • Parsons, Rev. J. L.
  • Ramsay, Keith
  • Reany, J.
  • Reeves, Charles S.
  • Rennie, A.
  • Roberts, John, of Murray,
  • Roberts, and Co.page 24
  • Robin, James
  • Holland, A.
  • Russell, Geo. G.
  • Scoular, J.
  • Simpson, James
  • Shrimski, Samuel E.
  • Smith, S. G.
  • Snow, William
  • Stephenson, John
  • Stratford, H. A.
  • Street, C. H.
  • Strode, A. C.
  • Stuart, Rev. D. M.
  • Sutherland, Rev. G.
  • Taggart, W. H. Talbot, H.
  • Telford, William
  • Templeton, Thomas
  • Thomson, C.
  • Thomson, Captain
  • Thomson, R.
  • Trotter, Wm. S.
  • Turnbull. George
  • Valentine, Arch.
  • Vogel, Sir Julius
  • Wain, Job, jun.
  • Walter, Henry J.
  • Watson, J.
  • West, George
  • Young, Joseph

Ladies Who are Entitled to the Rights and Privileges of Life Governors.

• Miss Baker
  • Mrs. Barton
  • Miss Buchanan
  • Mrs. E. B. Cargill
  • Mrs. Caldecutt
  • Mrs. Caldwell
  • Mrs. C. Cook
  • Mrs. Daniels
  • Mrs. S. Dewes
  • Mrs. Dick
  • Mrs. Edwards
  • Mrs. Fisher