Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Certificate of James Mackay Jr.]

[Certificate of James Mackay Jr.]

Certificate of James Mackay, jun.This is to certify that the land described in the within written conveyance to Her Majesty the Queen was purchased by me for the Colonial Government under authority from them. That a long time previously to receiving my instructions from the Government I had made arrangements with the Native owners for the purchase of the forest trees and incidental rights for Messieurs Thomas Russell William Chisholm Wilson and Captain James Stone and had paid large sums of money thereon. That I agreed to act for the Government in acquiring the freehold only on condition that all my said arrangements for the forest were respected by the Government. That accordingly prior to my negotiations for the purchase of the said freehold land the forest and all necessary incidental rights thereto were purchased by me (with the consent of the Government) from the Native owners for the said Thomas Russell William Chisholm Wilson and Captain James Stone and were conveyed to them by deed dated the 24th August 1872 That subsequently I purchased the said freehold for the Government subject to the rights acquired or intended to be acquired by the said Thomas Russell William Chisholm Wilson arid Captain James Stone and That the Native owners of the said land did sell the said land to the Government on condition that the right of' the said Thomas Russell William Chisholm Wilson and Captain James Stone to the said forest should be recognised and upheld by the Government.

Dated the 12th day of December 1872.

James Mackay, Jr.

3925d.Registration. Received for Registration at 2 p.m., 27th July, 1874.

(l.s.) M. Hamilton, Dep. Registrar

A True Copy of Original Deed, Declarations, Certificate, and Endorsement.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, 23rd March, 1875.