Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of John William Richard Guilding]

[Declaration of John William Richard Guilding]

I John William Richard Guilding of Shortland in the Province of Auckland colony Declaration of J. W. R. Guilding. of New Zealand an Interpreter duly authorized by law do solemnly and sincerely declare—
1.That I was present together with Samuel Brennan of Grahamstown in the said province and colony a constable in the Armed Constabulary force and a male adult and did see Wiremu Tangatapo Paetai Nohuhu Kawhena Pakau Hariata Rotohiko and Taroa Te kotuhi aboriginal Natives mentioned and described in the within written deed duly sign and execute the same by adhibiting their respective marks or crosses thereto the same having been first read over translated and carefully explained to them and each of them they being illiterate persons and unable to write.
2.That the marks or crosses set opposite to the said names of the said Aboriginal natives were made by the said Wiremu Tangatapo Paetai Nohuhu Kawhena Pakau Hariata Rotohiko and Taroa Te Kotuhi in my presence and in the presence of the said Samuel Brennan.
3.That I was present with Finlay McMillan of Whangamata in the said province and colony storekeeper a male adult and did see Haromi Tuhoi in the said deed mentioned duly execute the same by adhibiting her mark "x" thereto she being an illiterate person and unable to write the same having been first read over translated and carefully explained to her.
4.That the mark or cross. "x" set opposite to the name of the said Haromi Tuhoi was made by her in my presence and in the presence of the said Finlay McMillan.
5.That I was present with James Mackay the younger of Shortland aforesaid Land Agent a male adult and did see Hoani Pahau mentioned and described in the said deed in my presence and in the presence of James Mackay the Younger duly execute the said deed.
6.That the signature "Hoani Pahau" thereto subscribed is of the proper handwriting of the said Hoani Pahau.
7.That I was present with Henry Dunbar Johnson of Ohinemuri in the said province and colony Licensed Interpreter and did see Te Wano Te Paura mentioned and described in the said deed in my presence and in the presence of the said Henry Dunbar Johnson duly execute the said deed.
8.That the signature "Te Wano Te Paura" thereto subscribed is of the proper handwriting of the said To Wano Te Paura.
9.That immediately before the execution of the said deed by the said parties I did faithfully interpret the same to them into the Maori Language and that my translation was correct and was understood by them and each and every of them.
10.And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of certain Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled the Native Lands Act 1865 The Native Lands Act Amendment Act 1870 and The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866.

J. W. R. Guilding.

page 494

Declared at Shortland in theProvince of Auckland colony of New Zealand the twenty fifth day of February in the year one thousand eight hundred and seventy three Before me—

E. W. Puckey,

Justice of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand. Registration. 3990D. Received for Registration at 2 p.m. 21 July, 1874.

(l.s.)

M. Hamilton,
Dep. Registrar.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Declarations, and Endorsement.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, December 29th, 1874.