Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[untitled]

Declaration of George Henry Davies.I, George Henry Davies, of Wellington, in the Province of Wellington, in the Colony of New Zealand, a Licensed Interpreter of the Maori language, do solemnly and sincerely declare—
1. That I hold a certificate authorizing me to act as Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act 1867," and "The Native Lands Act, 1869," which certificate is in full force and effect.
2. That I was present, together with J. L. M. Carey, of Wellington, in the Province aforesaid, and did see Wi Tako Ngatata and Paretawahara, named in the Deed of conveyance hereto annexed, sign and execute the same.
3. That immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the said Wi Tako Ngatata and Paretawahara I did faithfully interpret the same into the Maori language to them, and my translation was correct and was understood by them.
4. That the names of George Henry Davies and J. L. M. Carey, set subscribed as page 117those of the attesting witnesses to the execution of the said Deed by the said Wi Tako Ngatata and Paretawahara are fo the proper handwriting of the said Wi Tako Ngatata and Paretawahara, and of me this declarant, and the said Wi Tako Nagatata and Pareta-wahara are adults; and I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of an Act of me the General Assemble of New Zealand intituled "the Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

George H. Davies,
Licensed Interpreter, Wellington.

Declared at Wellington, in the Province aforesaid, this twenty-fifth day of August, one thousand eight hundred and seventythree. Before me—

H. T. Clarke,

A Justice of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand.

I, Charles Heaphy, the Trust Commissioner under "The Native Lands FraudsCommissioner's certificate, Prevention Act, 1870," for the District of Wellington, do hereby certify that I have, with respect to the within-written instrument and the alienation thereby witnessed, made the inquiries directed by the said Act, and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such inquiries.

Dated this seventh day of January, 1874.

Chas. Heaphy,
Trust Commissioner.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation, Declaration, and Certificate.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellingtong, September 27th, 1875.