Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

Te Aro Pa, Lots16 and17, Wellington District

Te Aro Pa, Lots16 and17, Wellington District.

This Deedmade this thirteenth day of May one thousand eight hundred and seventy 1874. 13 May.Wellington District.four between Tare Tahua of Wellington in the Province of Wellington and Colony of New Zealand an aboriginal Native herein called the vendor of the one part and William Te Aro Pa. (Lots 16 and 17.)Fitzherbert of Wellington aforesaid Esquire as Superintendent of the said Province of Wellington and herein called the Superintendent of the other part. Whereas by Grant from the Crown to the said Tare Tahua bearing date the twenty second day of November one thousand eight hundred and sixty six Registered at Wellington Number 6793 the hereditaments and premises hereinafter described and intended to be hereby conveyed were granted to the said Tare Tahua his heirs and assigns and there was in the said Grant contained a proviso that the said hereditaments and premises should be inalienable by sale or by lease for a longer period than twenty one years from the making of any such lease or by mortgage except with the assent of the Governor in Council previously obtained to every such sale lease or mortgage, And whereas the assent of the Governor in Council has been obtained to the sale hereinafter contained as appears by the memorandum in the margin thereof, Now this Deed witnesseth that in consideration of one hundred and thirty pounds paid by the Superintendent to the Vendor the receipt whereof Receipt for £130.is hereby acknowledged he the vendor doth hereby convey and assure to the Superintendent and his successors, All that piece or parcel of land containing by admeasurement twenty five perches more or less situate at Wellington aforesaid being lots numbered sixteen and seventeen on the plan of the Te Aro Pa Reserve in the City of Wellington aforesaid, bounded on the North by a line one hundred and one links and Boundaries. [25 perches.]the half of another link on the East by Lot numbered Eighteen on the plan of the said Reserve one hundred and forty seven links, on the South by a Public way one hundred and nine links, and on the West by Lot numbered fifteen on the said plan one hundred and fifty three links, be the same several measurements and each and every of them a little more or less which piece or parcel of land is delineated on the plan drawn hereon and bordered red, Together with all messuages and buildings thereon and all rights ways easements and appurtenances thereto belonging, To hold the hereditaments and premises hereby conveyed unto the Superintendent his successors and assigns for ever for the public uses of the said Province, Provided always that the covenants for title to be herein implied shall extend to and be taken as against the Acts Deeds and defaults of the vendor and of all persons claiming and to claim through under or in trust for him and page 126no further or otherwise, In Witness whereof the said parties hereto have hereunto set their hands.

Tare Tahua x his mark.

Witness to mark— Eb. Baker
Interpreter, Wellington.

Signed by the said Tare Tahua in the presence of us—
H. Halse, J.P., Wwllington.

>Maori précis. He whakaaetanga hoko tenei no te tekau ma toru o Mei 1874. Na Tare Tahua o Te Aro Pa Weringitana ki a Te Pitahapeti o Werengitana Hupiritene o te kotinga ki Werengitana. Ko te ahua o te whenua kei te mapi e mau i roto nei tona tikanga. Ko te utu o taua whenua kotahi rau e toru tekau pauna.

Eb. Baker, Interpreter.

1874. 30 March.Governor's consent. In pursuance and exercise of the power and authority vested in me, I, the Right Honorable Sir James Fergusson, Baronet, the Governor of the Colony of New Zealand, do hereby consent that the land and hereditaments within described and proposed to be conveyed may be conveyed by the within named Tare Tahua to the within named William Fitzherbert as Superintendent of the Province of Wellington.

Given under my hand at Auckland this thirtieth day of March, one thousand eight hundred and seventy four.

James Fergusson,
Governor.

Memorandum.—That I the undersigned have satisfied myself that the within Tare Tahua, by whom the foregoing instrument is signed, fully understood its purport before signature.

James Booth, R.M.

Receipt for duties paid. Memo.—Receipt signed by W. Best dated 13th July 1874 for £13 . 0 . 0. duty paid in respect of the transaction referrred to in this instrument delivered to me the 13th July 1874.

Thos. H. Smith,
Judge N.L.C.

I, Charles Heaphy, the Trust Commissioner under "The Native Lands Frauds Prevention Act, [unclear: 1]870," for the District of Wellington, do hereby certify that I have, with respect to the within-written instrument and the alienation thereby witnessed, made the inquiries directed by the said Act, and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such inquiries. Dated this 9th day of June, 1874.

Chas. Heaphy,
Trust Commissioner.