Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[untitled]

page 185

I, James Grindell, of Wellington, in the Province of Wellington, in the Colony of New Zealand, a licensed Interpreter, do solemnly and sincerely declare—

1.That I am a duly licensed Native Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."Declaration of James Grindell.
2.That I was present when the within-named Ihakara Tukumaru, Henare Harawira Herekau, Neri Puratahi, Takerei te Nawe, Hori te Waharoa, Herekiuha te Orihau, Kerenama te Kapukai, Matene te Whiwhi, Rakapa Kahoki, Kutia Takerei, Watene Tiwaewae, Kararaina Whawha, Aohau Nikitini, Watene te Waiheke, Nerehana te Paea, Te Ranginui, Tauteka Ngawiki, Waretini Tuainuku, Hare Wirikake, Honiana Matai, Arapere Tukuwhare, Kawana Hunia, Hoani Amorangi, Kereopa Tukumaru, Horomona Toremi, Arapata te Whioi, Moroati Kiharoa, Ngarati te We, Te Peina Tahipara, Nepia Taratoa, Te Iwi Piahaua, Winiata Taiaho, Wireta Kimate, Wereta te Huruhuru, Hare Reweti, Miratana, Karanama te Whakakeke, Hare Hemi, Akipita te Tewe, Kaperiere te Mahirohe, Tiemi Ranapiri, Riria Ranapiri, Ruhia Rewi, Haroe te Keremihana, Kereama Taiporutu, Henare Ngakoti, Hapi te Rangitirohata, Te Hoia Te Oti Kerei, Hohua te Riunui, Tamihana te Hoia, Hoani Meihana, Meiha Keepa Rangihiwinui, Hunia Arona, Huriana Keremeneta, Ria Henere, Hema te Ao, Tamihana te Rauparaha, Katene Ngawhana, Pataropu te Nge, Witana Purera, Erenora Taratoa, Akinata, Terepata Raihi, Winara Katepo, Eru Tahitangata, Apia Keremihana, Haimona Hiwhenua, Turau Ngawhena, Hohai te Pahau, Te Watihi Turongo, Epiha te Rimunui, Wikiriwi te Amotahi, Pine Whareakaka, Hamuera te Raekokiritia, Pineaha Mohauariki, Rihi Maroati, Hoani Taipua, Ropata te Ao, and Perenara Te Tewe, aboriginal natives of New Zealand, duly executed the within-written Deed, and before I executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said Deed, and they appeared to perfectly understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence, and in the presence of James Mitchell, of Wellington, District Surveyor, an adult male European.
3.That the signature James Mitchell, an attesting witness to the within-written Deed, is of the proper handwriting of the said James Mitchell, of Wellington, District Surveyor.'
4.That the signature James Grindell, as an attesting witness, is in the proper handwriting of me, this deponent.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and under and by virtue of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."

James Grindell.

Declared at Wellington this sixteenth day of December, 1872, before me—

Herbert Wardell,

One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace for the Colony of New Zealand.
A True Copy of Original Deed.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, December 9th, 1875.