Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[untitled]

page 386
Declaration of James Grindell. I, James Grindell, of Napier, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, Colony of New Zealand, Licensed Native Interpreter, do solemnly and sincerely declare,—
1.That I am a Licensed Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1867."
2.That I was present on the tenth and eleventh days of October, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one, and did see the within-named Hoani Meihana, Hanita te Awe Awe, Mikaera te Rangiputara, Te Koeti te Harakoa, Henere te Herekau, Neri Puratahi, Epiha te Rimunui, Hamuera Maraetai, Pehira te Aokautere, Ihaka te Rangi, Tapatu Matene, Erihapeti Wakamairu, Henere te Mahukihuki, Ngakuku, Tihei, Horomona Paro, Karaitiana te Korou, Huru te Hiaro, Marakaia Tawaroa, Wata Tohu, Wi Waka Kahukura, Rorana Pehi, Patoromu te Kaka, Ihepera Hanita, Ereni te Awe Awe, Matene Ruta, Hirini Tuauru, Wi Tinitara, Tiheirangi, Wi te Matai, Peeti te Awe Awe, Wetere Taeore, and Himiona Waipapa, aboriginal natives of New Zealand, duly execute the within-written deed and the translation thereof hereto annexed and marked (A); and before they executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said deed to them, and they appeared to perfectly understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence and in the presence of Richard Booth, of Wellington, an adult European.
3.That the annexed translation of the said deed marked (A) is a true and correct translation thereof.
4.That I was present on the thirty-first day of October and on the fourth, sixth, ninth, tenth, thirteenth, and seventeenth days of November, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one, and did see the within-named Hipura Moeahuru, Wi Taukau, Rea Putara, Rea Mikaera, Tungane, Maraia Ehungatai, Pinenau, Horima Mutuahi, Hemi Warena, Turau Ngawhena, Hoani Takerei, Akuira Takapo, Hutana Kaihinu, Matiri te Hinga, Kararaina Mahuri, Karanama te Ra, Hare Rakena te Awe Awe, Miriama te Rangi, Renata Paehora, Meretene Rangahau, Rota Moea, Poitete Toringa, and Ahenata Tamaru, aboriginal natives of New Zealand, duly execute the within-written deed and the translation thereof hereto annexed and marked (A), and before they executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said deed to them, and they appeared to perfectly understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence and in the presence of John Frederic Ballard, of Wellington, an adult European. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, under and by virtue of the provisions of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."

James Grindell.

Declared at Wellington this twenty-first day
of November, one thousand eight hun
dred and seventy-one. Before me—

G. S. Cooper,J.P.