Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir George Grey to his Grace the Duke of Newcastle

Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir George Grey to his Grace the Duke of Newcastle.

Respecting Crown Grants to Natives. Government House, Auckland, 7th February, 1862.

My Lord Duke,—

Adverting to my Despatches Nos. 4 and 7, of the 8th and 9th ultimo, regarding Crown titles for land being under certain circumstances granted to Native owners, I beg to state that I thought it my duty particularly to draw the attention of the New Zealand Ministers to the opinions I had therein expressed: they have consequently drawn up the enclosed memorandum on the subject, which I transmit for your Grace's information. The Ministers appear inclined to think that the General Assembly of these Islands will not disapprove, under all the circumstances, of the course which I have recommended should be adopted.

I have, &c.,

G. Grey.

His Grace the Duke of Newcastle, K.G., &c.