Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir George Grey, K.C.B., to the Right Hon. Edward Cardwell, M.P

Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir George Grey, K.C.B., to the Right Hon. Edward Cardwell, M.P.

Government House, Wellington, 13th January, 1866.

Sir,—

In my Despatch No. 127, of the 14th of October last, I reported the murder on the west coast of this Island, by the Hauhau fanatics, of messengers sent to them by Brigadier-General Waddy, C.B., whom they decoyed into friendly interviews.

• 2. The murderers of those messengers being left unpunished, they proceeded to murder other inoffensive people, and unfortunately, from the absence of the Whanganui Native Contingent at Opotiki, it was impossible to at once collect a Native force that could be relied on to co-operate with the troops in bringing these murderers to justice.
  • 3. It being, however, at last found practicable to remove the Whanganui Native Contingent from Opotiki to Whanganui, a Native force was as speedily as possible collected to co-operate with Major- General Chute, and was despatched under his command; and you will be glad to learn from the enclosed despatch which I have just received from the General that the fanatics and rebel Natives were defeated on the 4th and 7th instant by Her Majesty's forces under Major-General Chute, with but trifling loss on our side, and that, from the active measures now taken, the whole west coast of this Island will shortly be placed in a state of entire security.

I have, &c.,

G. Grey.

The Right Hon. Edward Cardwell, M.P.