Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 32. — Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir George Grey, K.C.B., to his Grace the Duke of Buckingham

No. 32.
Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir George Grey, K.C.B., to his Grace the Duke of Buckingham.

Government House, Wellington, 30th October, 1867.

My Lord Duke,—

• 1. I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your Grace's Despatch No. 51, of the 22nd August last, in which your Grace briefly informs me that Her Majesty has been pleased upon your recommendation to remove me from the Government of New Zealand.
  • 2. I request your Grace to be pleased to state to the Queen that I present my duty to Her Majesty, and, in receiving this notification of my Sovereign's pleasure, I beg to be permitted humbly to represent to Her Majesty that in the year 1845, a rebellion prevailing in New Zealand, I was by Her Majesty's commands specially sent to this country, and that when I relinquished the government of it in the year 1854 it was my happiness to leave it in a state of tranquillity and prosperity; that in the year 1861, a rebellion having again broken out in New Zealand, I was once more specially sent, here, and that it is again my happiness upon being removed by your Grace's advice from this Government, to leave New Zealand in a state of tranquillity and returning prosperity; and that I humbly represent to Her Majesty that I desire to claim no merit for these circumstances, but rather to attribute them to the blessing of Divine providence, and to the abilities and exertions of Her Majesty's subjects who have advised me, and aided me in my duties; and, further, that I humbly trust that the almost unanimous voice of Her Majesty's subjects in New Zealand, amongst whom I have laboured in Her Majesty's service for a great part of twenty-two years, will satisfy Her Majesty that I have done my utmost to promote the well are and happiness of the inhabitants of this part of Her Majesty's possessions.

I have, &c.,

G. Grey.

His Grace the Duke of Buckingham and Chandos.