Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 75. — Report of Cession of 700 Acres as Site for a School

No. 75.
Report of Cession of 700 Acres as Site for a School.

District of Waiapu. Resident Magistrate's Office, Rangitukia, 27th February, 1862.

Sir,—

I have the honour to inform you that on the 22nd instant I perambulated the boundaries of a block of land situated at Mamiti (Upper Waiapu), estimated to contain 700 acres, which the Natives offer to cede as the site for a school in which their children may be taught the English language.

The land is of superior quality, for the most part perfectly level, and situated within natural boundaries. Timber for building and fencing can be procured with great facility, but firewood is rather scarce. It can, however, be obtained in any quantity during the period of the river-freshes. The site has been for some time past set apart for school purposes, and one or more of the Church Missionary body have been to look at it, but no agreement has been entered into nor possession taken of it. The Natives, failing to secure the object of their wishes, and acting on the proposal made in Sir George Grey's policy published in the Maori Messenger, now urge the acceptance by the Government of the site, and express their willingness to assist in the maintenance of the school there.

I feel that it will be unnecessary for me to say anything in support of so laudable a proceeding, and trust that I may be authorized to procure the execution of a deed of gift, and to enter upon preliminary arrangements with as little delay as possible.

I have, &c.,

William B. Baker,
Resident Magistrate.

The Hon. the Attorney-General, &c.