Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

The Hon. D. McLean to Sir W. Martin

The Hon. D. McLean to Sir W. Martin.

Sir,—

Native Office, Wellington, 4th August, 1871.

I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 29th July, enclosing the draft of a Bill for the consolidation and amendment of the laws affecting the Native Land Court. It will be with the greatest pleasure that I shall submit your draft to the consideration of my colleagues, and I beg you will accept my best thanks for the arduous labour you have taken. There was no doubt that whenever any work was on hand calculated to secure peaceful relations between the two races your zealous co-operation might be depended on; and in this instance it has taken the form of most valuable suggestions. I entirely concur with you in the necessity for rendering easily intelligible a Bill affecting the interests of a race emerging from barbarism, and in eliminating from it all ideas of theory; and I have no doubt that the draft you forward will be found to answer all necessary requirements. Immediately on receipt the Bill was transmitted to the printer, and it will be shortly in the hands of Ministers for consideration.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean.

Sir W. Martin,

Auckland.