Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Spike: or, Victoria College Review, October 1909

Victoria College versus Canteury College

Victoria College versus Canteury College.

After a very trying trip down in the "Maori" College took the field feeling shaky. There was a very large attendance of the public and the spacious grand-stand boasted few vacant seats. Canterbury attacked strongly from the commencement, and early in the game a fine dodgy run by McKenzie resulted in hay scoring; Hay also took the kick and landed a beautiful goal. Shortly afterwards de la Mare broke for College, and, in his usual unselfish way, passed when he was safely beyond pursuit; Tennant took the ball nicely and scored. Shortly afterwards Canterbury kicked high and the green back fumbled miserably; Wilson (Canterbury) rushed up and carried the ball over without opposition. At half-time Canterbury led by 8 to 3.

Throughout the whole of the second spell the greens played a fine dashing game, completely outclassing their opponents. Goodbehere, Berendsen, Tennant and Ryan scored in quick succession. After the feeble attempts made by the College backs in Club matches to turn to account the hard work of their forwards it was a pleasure to see them making dash after dash for the line. Towards the end of the game the maroons worked hard to turn the tables. The game ended—Victoria College 17, Canterbury College 8.

After the match Canterbury College enterained our men at a supper, and an excellent musical programme was supplied by the students.

The Sydney University team did not meet with the success in New Zealand which was predicated of them. Both the large matches—that played in Dunedin on the 4th September, and that played here on the 11th—were somewhat disappointing form the spectacular from the spectacular point of view. At Dunedin, Victoria College was represented by only two players. Phillips and Brosnan, both of whom acquitted themselves creditably. The game was fought out mostly among the forwards and resulted in a win for Sydney by 15 to 5.

The second test match was played at Wellington on the following Saturday. College was fortunate enough to secure places in the New Zealand team for eight of it men—Duncan, Phillips, O'Leary, Brosnan, Curtayne, de la Mare, Tennant and Robertson. The game was somewhat dull during the first spell, but livened up considerably in the later stages. Eventually, after a close fight, New Zealand won by 17 points to 14.